Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I will be babysitting another Maltese for two weeks next month. In an effort to get the dogs to get to know one another, we have been having play dates. Here are the problems:

* Sir N is afraid of Marshy.
* Marshy is constantly harrassed by Little C.
* Marshy gets snippy with Sir N, I think because he wants revenge for what Little C does to him.
* Sometimes I'm quite convinced that someone is getting killed and when my friend and I get too worried, we both yell "YAAH!" at the top of our lungs and it echoes through the neighborhood. The snarling is serious at this time and one or both dogs end up screaming.
* In the past, Marshy and Little C both harrassed each other. Last night, it was Monster C all the way.

Every play date so far has happened at my friend's house. Where she lives, we don't have to worry about noise and her place is much, much bigger than mine. So, I could understand if it were Marshy who was continually going after either of my babies. After all, we were on HIS territory. (neutered male, by the way) However, it is Monster C who is causes the problems and who has me worried.

Next month, for two weeks, the four of us (three Malts and I) will be living at her place. Together. Oh, and there is a cat, but she is pretty much invisible and shouldn't be a problem either way. So, yeah, the five of us. *gulp* Now, I can easily take my two home every morning and then after work is over, pick them up and bring them back. However, that still leaves nights where we are all together. And I want to be able to SLEEP! Sleep is extremely important to me. I teach kindergarten in the mornings and need to be awake and full of energy.

So, what on earth can I do to make Monster C act as sweet towards Marshy as she does towards me, my friend, random strangers on the street? Or at least only bug and annoy him as much as she does Noodle (minimal at this point)

Oh, and also, in the beginning, whenever she went after him, he went after her. She plays VERY ROUGH. I think that she was playing this whole time, but Marshy no longer wants to participate. Sir N would snarl and growl and get very angry at her and then LEAVE when she bugged him. Marshy would snarl, growl, and continue to run at her. So, I think she thought that was playing. It may have been in the beginning, but it's no longer what Marshy wants. (I don't blame him AT ALL!)

It's so hard to look at her cute little face and realize what a horrid little beast she can be. Anyway, I'd love to hear ideas, suggestions, etc. on what to do to make Little C play nice and behave herself.

(We need a smilie that shakes its head sadly while saying, I-yi-yi.) (long i sound there)

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Not all dogs will get along. Part of the problem is you threw them in together in one dog's territory without a slow and proper introduction. I would keep them separated by a gate for the first week (and alternate one dog loose, one dog in a crate in another room). This way they can adjust to the smell and the fact that another dog is there without the added stress of having to interact. After that let them be together for short periods of time when things are quiet (no treats, no toys, just sitting around).

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
This is a great topic. My cousin's roomie has a Shih tzu and she's sweet but my babies are stuckup meanies. We may have to babysit her when her parents go to china(?) for a month. I'll have her for afew days and then my cousin will.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts