Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it has been a while since I have had a puppy. and all the training books I have seem like there for bigger puppies. so I was wondering wht were some little puppy training techniechs? I know maltese have apotty training problems. so I would realy love tips on that

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Toy breeds and large breeds all learn based on the same principals. Educating yourself on how dogs learn and getting into puppy K based on positive motivation (like clicker training) is a great way to go with any size dog.

Jean Donaldson's Culture Clash
Karen Pryor's Don't Shoot The Dog! also her getting started with clicker training book
Patricia McConnell's The Other End of the Leash
Donaldon and co-authored with someone else The Power of Positive Dog Training
Turid Ruggass Calming Signals

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok thanks. I ws wondering becuse like I said the books I have seem more for larg breed puppys. I cant remember what it was but I remember thinking you cant do that with a little maltese puppy. I will go back to see what that was lol.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have a book called Little Dogs: Training your pint-sized companion, by Deborah Wood. The chapters include:

Ch 1 The Wonderful (and Challenging) World of Small Dogs
Ch 2 Special Issues for Small Dogs
Ch 3 Food, Fun, and Results
Ch 4 Luring, Learining, and Communicating
Ch 5 Five Must-Know Behaviors
Ch 6 Housetraining Your Small Dog
Ch 7 Solving Common Behavior Problems
Ch 8 Training Your Small Dog for the Real World
Ch 9 13 Easy Tricks and Games
Ch 10 Cool Stuff to Do With Your Trained Dog
Ch 11 Advanced Obedience Training
Ch 12 Reflections on Life With Small Dogs

What I have read of it (I am one of those people who don't necessarily read the whole book) has been good. The one think that I have found with Deni since she is so small is to take the book's advice and train her on a small table (basic commands such as sit, down, short stays) and once she gets those down to begin the commands on the floor, it really saves my knees and back which are feeling the effects of aging.

I originally got the book for Ally who at 6 months was about a pound bigger than Deni (2.4# last week) but Ally picked up the commands very quickly without table training and now at a couple weeks short of one year responds to hand commands (no verbal) and will be finishing her adult obedience class next week. I'm finding that Deni gets distracted more easily, and takes longer to understand the commands. She responds to some hand commands, but does better with verbal commands especially when she's on the floor because of her diminuitive size.

You can find the book online at Amazon and Barnes & Noble. HTH!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been looking for that book localy. but no luck yet. I also have a bad knee, so table training would be a great idea. thank you

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I have Lacey in clicker training class. She is doing really good. This weeks homework is staying, standing, and sitting no matter what she is doing...that butt should hit the ground/floor as soon as she hears the command. This week should be fun.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
The clicker is a marker for the right behavior, kind of like taking a picture of exactly what you want. You mark the precise behavior with the noise which is followed with a treat. It helps communicate more clearly to the dog precisely what you want. It is also totally positive, so no getting frustrated or constantly correcting the dog.

http://www.clickersolutions.com/articles/index.htm#basic

1 - 12 of 12 Posts