Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this is getting a be a proublem for me. Sunny is kinda big to be carrying around in a bag taking places with me but I do it anyways for short trips and he is so good in his bag. Well I have one proublem little kids come up to him while he is in his bag (I just got one that is a backback becuase like I said he is kinda heavy) and poke him and make faces and act like they are gonna hit him then not and understandly it makes him bark. I dont want him not to bark when that happens becuase I want to know its happening. Now the other day I was in the video store checking out with Sunny on my back and I guess the kid behind me was bugging Sunny (I was busy checking out) the kid starts screaming covering his ears and acting like Sunny bit him, here is no way that could have happened he is totally enclosed in the backpack. I just dont know what to do, I want to keep taking him places with me but I know one day I am gonna run into some crazy parent who will belive their kid that the totally enclosed dog bit them and I am gonna end up in trouble. I dont want anything to happen to Sunny
. I just dont know what to do I know there are some parents out there maybe you can give me some adivce.

·
Registered
522 Posts
That's horrible. I would lose the backpack in a hurry. Get a front carrier pack to put Sunny in. You can't be worrying about little brats tormenting your dog. Put him up front so you can protect him. That's a shame. Darn kids.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a type of front carryer that he is out in the open maybe i will look into one of those messanger bags I think they are called it had to close all the way and have a good strap though becuase he is big.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i do this look, and i say "i wouldnt do that if i were you". but i also have gruffi near me. lol. kids dont mess with gruffi.

i think telling kids "hey, dont do that" should be good enough. and where are their parents???

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Maybe get one of them iron sticker thingys that says "BEWARE!" or "HATES KIDS???" LOLOLOL I'm sorry you have this problem. I dont have any great advice. In fact, I usually give you bad advice! HAHAHA I don't handle rude ppl well. I was at the Bellmeade mansion the other day taking pictures and walking Cloud. Cloud all of a sudden started barking at this couple. The lady gave me a dirty look. I told Cloud loudly, "Lets go Cloud, they don't like you!" Don't think that was the best way to handle it. But, I could be worse.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The kids mom was right there glaring at me! I am just not a really threatening looking person people dont tend to listen to me. If I told the kid to stop he proubly would have just done it more you know? I have never gotten along well with little kids so I thought I had better get some advice on how to react to this before I say something stupid.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Originally posted by 20202@Jun 2 2005, 10:40 PM
That's horrible.  I would lose the backpack in a hurry.  Get a front carrier pack to put Sunny in.  You can't be worrying about little brats tormenting your dog.  Put him up front so you can protect him.  That's a shame.  Darn kids.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=68485
[/QUOTE]
I would definitely get a front carrier because I would want to have both eyes on whats going on with my dog.--It amazes me what parents let their kids do

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Originally posted by RubyJeansmom+Jun 3 2005, 01:10 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-20202
@Jun 2 2005, 10:40 PM
That's horrible.   I would lose the backpack in a hurry.  Get a front carrier pack to put Sunny in.  You can't be worrying about little brats tormenting your dog.  Put him up front so you can protect him.  That's a shame.  Darn kids.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=68485
I would definitely get a front carrier because I would want to have both eyes on whats going on with my dog.--It amazes me what parents let their kids do

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=68491
[/B][/QUOTE]

No kidding! The mom was there and she just watched everything?
I would have given her an even dirtier look. Nah, I would have slapped her! LOL JK

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I hate to sound like a broken record
but what about a stroller? I just gave the one I had to my cousin because she needed one that would hold both her Chi's. I then purchased this one Walk-n-Roll Stroller which is made by Outward Hound. I like this one better than the Kittywalk Pet Stroller I gave away because it folds down. This way you can keep an eye on what's happening with your pup and his weight won't be an issue.

Hope this helps. Chloe really doesn't like kids because they scare her.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Originally posted by CandicePK@Jun 3 2005, 09:10 AM
I hate to sound like a broken record 
but what about a stroller?  I just gave the one I had to my cousin because she needed one that would hold both her Chi's.  I then purchased this one Walk-n-Roll Stroller which is made by Outward Hound.  I like this one better than the Kittywalk Pet Stroller I gave away because it folds down.  This way you can keep an eye on what's happening with your pup and his weight won't be an issue.

Hope this helps.  Chloe really doesn't like kids because they scare her.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=68547
[/QUOTE]

I had to write because I just got hysterical looking at this stroller...I thought what a great idea...and then I thought what my brother would say about it...and I cracked up. How much ribbing do you get and how many places will allow you in with it. I would love one for Teddy...we are going to Florida for my brothers wedding and this might be perfect.

On the correct topic...my Teddy loves children and especially under a year...he will get so excited that i have to hold him back from them. Of course if one of the older ones ever did anything to Teddy they would have more to deal with that a little white dog kissing them....and it would hurt alot more too.

Susan

·
Registered
422 Posts
Have you tried wearing it backwards with your doggie in the front of you? It works for a short time. I've done that in groups w/people crowding me from behind. I'm short and have a tendency to get stepped on and ignored so I put Zoey in the front and start elbowing people! ha

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Kids are always trying to pet Tuffy and I'm not okay with it. The only kids I'll allow to pet Tuffy are the kids who have their parents with them and have asked my permission first because I can tell them they can pet him if they don't pick him up off of the floor and are gentle with him.. usually since they had enough manners to ask my permission they will be nice to Tuffy. As soon as some little monster without his parents around starts getting close to Tuffy to pet him, I immediately scoop Tuffy up into my arms and tell them that he bites and that usually gets them to leave him alone. I really don't like kids to begin with but kids without manners just irritate me to no end.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
While the stroller would work great I dont think I would bring myself to actully be out pushing one
( I am an insecure teenager lol) Sunny dosnt even have a proublem with kids, he loves almost any type of attention but when someone is trying to scare him and get a reaction he isnt gonna be happy about it. I would be sad if a few stupid kids causing him troublem made it so that he didnt like being around kids at all. Its really the parents I am more worried about more than the kids though becuase I know there are a lot of parents out there that I gonna belive anything their kid says my dog did, and I lost my last dog to some kid getting bit from trying to take something he was eating and I will not repeat that mess with Sunny. I guess it really does come down to getting a differnt type of bag though, if anyone can recommend something under $100 that is totally enclosed and can hold a 10lbs dog that would be awsome, I just cant take chances you know?

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Originally posted by doctorcathy@Jun 3 2005, 12:52 AM
i do this look, and i say "i wouldnt do that if i were you".  but i also have gruffi near me.  lol.  kids dont mess with gruffi. 

i think telling kids "hey, dont do that"  should be good enough.  and where are their parents???
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=68488
[/QUOTE]

hahahahah

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Originally posted by Lilly521@Jun 3 2005, 10:31 AM
I guess it really does come down to getting a differnt type of bag though, if anyone can recommend something under $100 that is totally enclosed and can hold a 10lbs dog that would be awsome,  I just cant take chances you know?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=68586
[/QUOTE]
I love my Celltei Pet-on-the-Go.. it's totally enclosed and a messenger type bag that goes across your body. Nobody has ever seemed to notice that I have a dog inside.
I have the small size and Tuffy (7lbs) and Pixie (3lbs) both fit in it and the bag is able to support their combined weight. I've also carried Tuffy and his 4lb cousin together without a problem. They both weren't too comfortable in it together but they tolerate it. Tuffy gets on just fine in it by himself. Here's a link to their basic models which are under $100, Celltei.com. Here's a picture of Tuffy in my bag.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Lilly, those kangaroo style front carriers are pretty inexpensive and would work nicely for Sunny.

http://www.carealotpets.com/viewItem.asp?I...rDesc=&Search=N

Dhondina also highly recommends her designer carrier from Pacific Pets. It's also very inexpensive and comes in the medium size for larger Malts like your Sunny or my Lady.

http://pacificpetshop.zoovy.com/category/03/

It's horrible about those kids. But you are right to worry. Unfortunately, when it comes to a dog bite, the dog is presumed guilty even if the child was tormenting the poor dog.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Susan ~ to answer your question about the stroller... I actually don't get any ribbing at all, which surprises me to no end :D

With the kittywalk I was really shy about using it at first, I have some residual damage and problems after an ankle injury. It was so uncomfortable to carry Chloe, especially since she hated every carrier and would try to do a head-dive right out. She would also get heavy after a while. Her weight fluctuates from 6.5-7.0lbs. The only problem with the kittywalk is that it's not the most convenient set-up. You have to attach the carrier to the base with bungee cords underneath and that can be cumbersome to say the least. It's also a rather large stroller and even though the bottom wagon portion folds easily, the carrier portion is more complicated to fold up. Definately not something you want to do all the time. I worked around that by keeping the carrier portion set up as a carseat for Chloe. I would only use it when I was shopping and people always loved it. The concept is very popular with people.

The new stroller is smaller, sleeker and really calls less attention to itself. In fact everywhere I've been with it I get tons of compliments. People think it's a great idea and a great size. Even family and friends think it's a great idea.

One little disclaimer though, I live in Fort Lauderdale and like any metropolitan city you see all kinds of things. I'm not sure how I'd feel about using it in the little town where my sister-in-law lives.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts