Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone...I've been having a hard time finding a treat that will motivate Kylee in training class because she is pretty distracted by the people and the other dog and she just will not focus on me. The trainer said to try a higher-value treat. I bought freeze-dried liver at Petsmart but it is cut into these HUGE chunks and it is brittle so I cant break it or it crumbles sooooo I was thinking of getting actual liver from the grocery store and cooking it for her. Can I do this? If so, do I get beef liver? I checked out the store and they have 2 kinds of liver, beef and something else that is a little lighter in color. And if I can cook the liver...how do I cook it (bake, boil?) p.s. I'm only 22 so im not a big cooker yet so be gentle with the directions! Thanks for any help! ~Lori

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Originally posted by NewMom328@Aug 11 2005, 02:35 PM
Hi everyone...I've been having a hard time finding a treat that will motivate Kylee in training class because she is pretty distracted by the people and the other dog and she just will not focus on me.  The trainer said to try a higher-value treat.  I bought freeze-dried liver at Petsmart but it is cut into these HUGE chunks and it is brittle so I cant break it or it crumbles sooooo I was thinking of getting actual liver from the grocery store and cooking it for her.  Can I do this?  If so, do I get beef liver?  I checked out the store and they have 2 kinds of liver, beef and something else that is a little lighter in color.  And if I can cook the liver...how do I cook it (bake, boil?) p.s. I'm only 22 so im not a big cooker yet so be gentle with the directions!  Thanks for any help! ~Lori
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=89548
[/QUOTE]
Ok, well all I know is that beef liver is ok, because thats what my friends malt eats. Sorry, I dont know how to cook it, I'll check though

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
In the "Home-Prepared Dog and Cat Diets" book by Donald Strombeck it says that liver contains very high levels of vitamin A and sometimes excess vitamin D. Too much of either vitamin is toxic. It recommends not giving liver to dogs and cats on a daily basis.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Aug 11 2005, 02:54 PM
In the "Home-Prepared Dog and Cat Diets" book by Donald Strombeck it says that liver contains very high levels of vitamin A and sometimes excess vitamin D.  Too much of either vitamin is toxic.  It recommends not giving liver to dogs and cats on a daily basis.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=89564
[/QUOTE]
:eek: Are you serious?? UhOh!!!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Does Kylee like chicken? That is what I used for Lexi's high value treat. She LOVED it. She knew that if we were in class that means I had chicken. She would be very good.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by AJ+Aug 11 2005, 02:55 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Lexi's Mom
@Aug 11 2005, 02:54 PM
In the "Home-Prepared Dog and Cat Diets" book by Donald Strombeck it says that liver contains very high levels of vitamin A and sometimes excess vitamin D.  Too much of either vitamin is toxic.  It recommends not giving liver to dogs and cats on a daily basis.
:eek: Are you serious?? UhOh!!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=89566
[/B][/QUOTE]
That's what the book says.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Lexi's Mom, I'm going to give the chicken a try...did you just leave it plain and boil it? steam it? Thanks, Lori

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Why not try the chicken tender jerky and break that into little bits, I bought some of that for the first time a few weeks ago and Scooby loves it and he is such a fussy little begger.
I used to slice the liver very thin and cook it till it was very dry in the micro, just lay it flat on a plate to cook. Cut it up into very tiny pieces, I trained my Rottie with that and he would do anything for it, and if I had it in my pocket where he could smell it on walks he would walk at heal like a perfect gentleman because he could smell it and didn't want to get too far away from it.

Just a thought but are chicken livers as bad as the beef ones?

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by Scoobydoo@Aug 11 2005, 06:50 PM
Why not try the chicken tender jerky and break that into little bits, I bought some of that for the first time a few weeks ago and Scooby loves it and he is such a fussy little begger.
I used to slice the liver very thin and cook it till it was very dry in the micro, just lay it flat on a plate to cook. Cut it up into very tiny pieces, I trained my Rottie with that and he would do anything for it, and if I had it in my pocket where he could smell it on walks he would walk at heal like a perfect gentleman because he could smell it and didn't want to get too far away from it.

Just a thought but are chicken livers as bad as the beef ones?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=89679
[/QUOTE]
No idea. The book didn't mention any particular kind of liver. It just talked about liver in general.

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Aug 12 2005, 06:54 AM
[/QUOTE]

Just curious, did the book say not to give liver at all? I know you mentioned not to give it on a daily basis, but do you know if a little bit every now & then is ok? Or stay away from it alltogether?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.