Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you guys already know that I'll be going away to college!
Finally!!! teehee. Anyway, I have to move there all by myself hopefully in a Apt. so I can take Cloud with me. Although I am terribly excited, I am scared too. I wonder how safe is do you feel about leaving your baby in an Apt? I have this strange fear about fires.
I'm deathly afraid that I wont be there when something happens to protect him. I almost think I should leave him at home with my bf, which I'll be totally sad about. Am I totally crazy? What do you guys think about that?
And any of you live alone? Do you feel ok where you live all by yourself esp. being a female? I've never lived by myself EVER before. This will be my first time (unless I get a roomie). Should I really try to get a roomie? Any thoughts, opinions, suggestions is welcomed!

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
I have some personal opinions about some of your questions. But first, what size city are you moving to? And how far from home will you be? Will you be going home every weekend? Do you like your space and privacy, or are you more into socializing?

I don't know what size city you're moving to, and how much apt. rents are, but I like for my girls to be able to have a place to live where we don't HAVE to have a roommate. Now that doesn't mean that they CAN'T have one - just that no matter what happens we can afford the rent and utilities without depending on anyone else. That way you could get to college and if you meet someone that you want to live with then you can make those arrangements. It is really miserable to be stuck in an apt with a roommate that you can't stand, or that doesn't pay their part of the rent, or is irresponsible and leaves the door open, or doesn't like dogs, etc.

My girls live in an apt complex that is gated and has a security/fire system. In case of a fire the fire dept would automatically be called. I like this alot and it is pretty common to find complexes like this in college towns. The rent might be a little higher but it is worth it. This one also comes with a washer/dryer in the apt and it allows pets. However, if you are moving to some place like NYC all bets are off. I guess you'd have to take what you could get.

How long will you be living in this new town? I know a lot of people who have been buying condos in the college towns since interest rates have been so low. Any chance of that?

Good luck to you. It is really exciting!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
My first move away from home was to an apartment by myself. I HATED it! I was soooo lonely, accustomed to a busy crowded house with 4 brothers. After a few months I moved to a rooming house and liked that much better. Little to clean left me with plenty of time to do whatever.

I shared a room with another girl but she left to go home every weekend. Later, a school chum and I got an apartment together and that worked out well until she got engaged. Now I would live alone if anything happened to my husband. I don't party so much now
and have hobbies and Pico so would prefer not to have a roommate again.

CAUTION: When living alone use precautions in answering the phone, door, and walking anywhere in the complex. Remember that you are most vulnerable when you feel the safest. That's because criminals know that you are relaxed and your guard is down and that is the optimum time for them to strike. I was car-jacked at gunpoint getting out of my car, parked next to my walkway, next to my building in a gated complex. I was safe! Who would expect to be car-jacked?

A roommate would give Cloud a bit more company, too.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
im confused, where's noriko? are you leaving her at home? you just mentioned cloud in your post.

but if you're moving to an apartment...dont worry! find out the crime rate in that area...if its not bad--then take the babies with you.

and about the fires---i think that if you leave a sticker on your window saying that you have dogs and tell the manager that if ANYTHING happens to contact you...then you should be good. i dont know that area...but there havent been any fires in the apartments in santa clarita valley in 20 yrs or something.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Well, I moved to a foreign country right out of university and have been living alone almost ever since. (brief four month period, I had a roommate) It's been eight years now.

As a female living alone, yeah, sometimes it is scary. I generally make sure that I get some good locks on the doors. I rarely stick with what is on the door when I arrive--I have personally supplied half a dozen places here in very good quality deadbolts. Get a heavy-duty deadbolt and get a safety lock. It'll always make you feel better. Move someplace where your windows all shut securely and lock. Seriously, check this out; don't assume that they work.

One thing you will find is that your dogs will be your best burglar deterrent. Mine warned off the guys trying to climb through the windows that had broken locks. They will bark when anyone is messing around with the door. And generally speaking, no one is going to continue to try to come in because chances are, they didn't want anyone to KNOW that they were trying to come in. Having my dogs with me has always made me feel safer.

Fires. Yes, I have a horror of a fire breaking out and my babies burning to death while I'm at work. Luckily for you, you live in a country where firefighters will actually make an effort to rescue any pets if they know they are there and it is possible. Get some of those decals to stick on your windows and your doors to let firefighters know there are dogs (and how many). Plus, idiots thinking of breaking in will know immediately that you have dogs and will probably bypass you. One thing I dearly LOVE about where I work now is that I can look out my classroom window and see my building. I can see my windows. If there is a fire, I'll probably notice it before anyone else.

I have lived in some really crappy places and some really unsafe places. The worst wasn't here--it was Texas. That is where I learned that you should go to a police station and ask about the neighborhoods you are thinking about moving into. If I had done that, I wouldn't have ended up in the middle of the biggest crime area in the entire city. (with windows with broken locks) So yeah, talk things over with the police. Not only can they steer you away from places you were thinking of but shouldn't have been, but they can also point you to good places. They will know which apartment complexes they never or rarely visit. They'll know which places they'd want THEIR daughters living. Cops are very good about this. (My impulse is to tell you to bring a small gift of food when you go, but perhaps I've been living in this country too long.)

I first moved out on my own when I was 20. It was lonely. However, having roommates can be terrific or really really terrible. I was very lucky. I went through a lot of roommates while in university and none were terrible. In fact, that's how I ended up where I am now--I had a roommate from this country. All my roommates were from foreign countries. I preferred it that way because I wanted to learn about other countries and it was a lot easier to find someone more interested in studying than partying when I looked in the foreign student population for a roommate. However, I've heard all kinds of horror stories about roommates. I've heard of pets ending up dead because they were fed something that was poisonous (such as chocolate) and pets ending up on the streets because a roommate let them out either accidentally or on purpose. And even if your roommate is a dog lover and would spoil your babies like they deserve, how do you know that every single person he/she invites over will be the same way? In university, you frequently have to work in a group with classmates that you may not even like. What if a roommate had her/his group over to your place to work on the project and one of the group members didn't like dogs and gave your precious baby a kick as he ran up to greet the people? I would really try to live by yourself and don't get a roommate unless you meet and get to know someone FIRST. It's better to be on the safe side.

Finally, enjoy it! But, don't live alone too long or you'll end up like me! I'm so used to everything being exactly where I put it and not getting moved around. I'm not cleaning up after anyone (except the dogs and their mess doesn't count). I don't have to answer to anyone when I leave or come home. That is really nice and I'm now too set in my ways to want to live with anyone (which sorta leaves out marriage entirely).

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I've never lived alone either, so I'm not sure about it. I was thinking about getting an apartment, but the rent around here is crazy so I couldn't afford to do it alone. The thing is that I didn't want a roomate. I'm such a loner (or loser if you really want to know
) It really depends on the type of place you will live. If it's a big complex they can offer more security but there are also more rules about pets.

I think you'll be happier if you can take Cloud with you. As for the female living alone thing, I have 2 sisters and VERY paranoid parents. My dad doesn't even like it when I drive with the windows open more than 1/2 way down. He also set my car to automatically lock the doors when I get in. It's scary that it has to be that way, but what can you do about it? If you think a roomie would suit you better then go for it. It'll be less lonely and safer. I have a hard time trusting people so I could never do it unless my roomie were one of my friends. Where are you going? Is it a big city or more in the burbs?

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bowling Green, KY.
About 1.5 hrs away from home
Population=58,000

Crime in Bowling Green (2002)(KINDA SCARY TO LOOK AT NUMBERS!):
1 murder (2.0 per 100,000)
40 rapes (80.1 per 100,000)
81 robberies (162.3 per 100,000)
238 assaults (476.8 per 100,000)
675 burglaries (1352.2 per 100,000)
2,262 larceny counts (4531.3 per 100,000)
201 auto thefts (402.6 per 100,000)
City-data.com crime index = 492.4 (higher means more crime, US average = 330.6)[/B]
Crime Rate.
Kentucky has the fifth lowest crime rate in the nation according to Crime in the United States, 1998, a Federal Bureau of Investigations publication.[/B]
Noriko has to stay with daddy! I can't take them both! Daddy will be lonely!
Depending on how heavy the school load is, I may be able to go home every wk or Anthony and Noriko will come up when I can't.
I'm very worried I won't like my roomie. I dont trust anybody! I have had so-called "best friends" stab me in the back! Therefore, I appreciate my time alone. I'm going to see if I can get scholarships and maybe that will help w/my living costs. I found a studio for $400/mo. Sounds like a space too big for me, but maybe good for me and Cloud together. In a studio, I wont be closed off in a bedroom, so that might make me feel safer.

What kind of doggie decal are you guys talking bout? Those "I love my maltese" type decals? LOL Do I put that on my doors and windows? If I do, I wont mention that it's a maltese! LOL That might not scare them.

I am not really there to socialize but I will be socializing with the students in my class, of course. My priority is to get my toosh out of school ASAP!

What do you guys think of all the info that I've given ya? You guys are helping me alot! THANKS SO MUCH!

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
You can get stickers from your local fire department that you put on your windows and doors that will alert firefighters you have pets and how many. I know where I live they are $5.00 a piece but worth it to me.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Congrats on going away for college!
In my opinion, it is a necessary part of life. I moved from Miami, Florida (where my very clingy parents live) to Chicago for undergraduate. I had never lived away from home so this was a big thing! I initially lived in a dorm and then moved out into apartment (with my then boyfriend, who is now husband).

After college, I went to med school in Nashville where I lived on my own for 3 years. I could never live with a roommate..I am way too messy for that. I also need to live alone to be able to study efficiently. Last year, I lived with Miko on my own in Nashville (since he was a tiny puppy of 12 weeks). It was extremely sad to be separated from my husband for last 3 yrs but I think its a true test of a relationship. Plus having my little baby Miko helped a ton.

Good luck
!! You can do it.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
NC's mom pretty much covered all the important stuff..
My only advice, DON'T GET A ROOMMATE. They usually suck. Of course, I'm one of those people that gets annoyed by a lot of things, but roommates are horrible. I had a roommate for one semester and I wanted to throttle that girl, she was an idiot! I also shared an apartment with 3 other girls.. by the end of the semester none of us were speaking to each other, we totally hated each other. We were all good friends to begin with and it tooks us years to start talking again. I know people say to never room with people you know but rooming with people you don't can be just as bad. You can totally end up living with a crazy either way. Check with your college, they can usually recommend off campus housing that is popular with students. Although a place with lots of students will probably be loud and noisy, it also can be safer because there are always people coming and going. Fires are always a worry so I got those save my pet decals for my windows to let fire fighters know they are in here. Also get a big ol' sign that says beware of dog.. nobody needs to know it's a little cuddlebug instead of a man eater.
Good luck!!!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ya'll are reminding me to look for the nearest police station and fire dept.! LOL Gosh, I feel like I'm growing up too fast.
It scares me to the point I wanna say "forget it" but heck no, I'm ready to get out of school!
This will be such a scary-great experience for me.

Being away from my bf (of 7 yrs) and Noriko will be so terribly hard. But like Okw said, it is a true test of the relationship! It's only 2 years right? I mean, time flies now a days. And I'm not too far from home.

Maybe the first semester, I won't get a roomie. Ya'll pray I get a scholarship!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko@Apr 4 2005, 05:44 PM
Being away from my bf (of 7 yrs) and Noriko will be so terribly hard.  But like Okw said, it is a true test of the relationship!  It's only 2 years right?  I mean, time flies now a days.  And I'm not too far from home. 

Maybe the first semester, I won't get a roomie.  Ya'll pray I get a scholarship! 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=48990
[/QUOTE]

Definitely!! At the time, my boyfriend separated so I could go to med school, we had been together for 4 years (and lived together for 2 years of those years). Once we were apart, he proposed and then we were engaged for 2 years and then married for another year and still living apart !! We are now living together and its the best.

Re: money -- I have more loans than you can imagine!! I do hope you will get a scholarship. Did you apply for financial aid?

·
Registered
199 Posts
I just wanted to add my note...I live alone and I love it! I had roommates for all 4 years of college (shared a room for the first 3 years) and the 3 years after college. When I went back to Grad School I promised myself I would work extra or whatever it took to live alone and it is the best! It is the little things that I like -- if there are dirty dishes in the sink, I know I put them there. Stuff like that. I do know some people have different opinions about living alone but I have always liked my alone time and this is the best situation for me...if I ever get married I fear he will have to live in another house :lol:

I feel Bella is safe here...I do crate her (it's a 3rd floor walkup and I don't like the idea of maintence coming in and her getting out) and I have the fire department sticker (you can get it free from petsmart's vets office) and stuff like that. My brother is a police officer and he has proclaimed my life is safe

I do live in a gated community and I have a friend in town who has an extra key to my apartment, just in case anything ever happens to me she is supposed to come get Bella (my family lives 4 hours away) -- I try to think of little things like that just in case. I also met my neighbors soon after I moved in just so I know some guys that live in the building if I ever need help.

I am so excited for you to take this big step and I hope you enjoy it.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
One of my daughter's really good friends at Vandy is from Bowling Green. I'll ask if there are any areas you should avoid. If you can afford the studio by yourself then that is what I would suggest. That way you'll have privacy when your boyfriend visits without putting anyone out. I think that all women should live alone at some point in their lives. It is a good learning experience and it will teach you independence. I went from home to college dorm to married. I've been married for nearly 27 years and I love my husband dearly, but I sort of regret that I didn't have some time just for me. I WANT my daughters to be on their own and to learn to rely on themselves. See if you could find a gated community near to the campus in BG. That would be the most secure. Also an alarm system would be an added bonus.

Good for you for taking the big leap and going off to continue your education. You won't regret it. Bet BG is going to be a BIG old change from Nashville, though! LOL

·
Registered
608 Posts
Originally posted by Laceys mom@Apr 4 2005, 07:34 PM
You can get stickers from your local fire department that you put on your windows and doors that will alert firefighters you have pets and how many.  I know where I live they are $5.00 a piece but worth it to me.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=48984
[/QUOTE]

I don't know about where you live but here even with the stickers the dog must be in a crate or they don't have to grab it. Alot of the times the firemen will on principle but a loose dog in that situation can be a danger for the firemen. I keep our's crated even our lab for that reason. Also if there is a fire they don't have to search for them.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Yeah, I hear you about the back stabbing 'friends'. Had a few of those myself!! Anyways, I think you'll be fine. I know those numbers are scary to see, but as long as you take precaution and be wary of your surroundings you can stay safe. You won't be too far from home. I think if I had to move out right now, I would go with my bf or move out alone. I just can't trust anyone. My bf and I hardly ever see each other anymore (we used to be connected at the hip
) and I think it made us appreciate each other a lot more

Anyways, you're doing a great thing to finish school and it'll be no time until you are back home again!!! We're here for you!!!!!

If you think a crate is too small to keep Cloud in all day, how about an ex-pen? That way he'll have more room but also be in a specific area.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko@Apr 4 2005, 05:33 PM
Some of you guys already know that I'll be going away to college! 

Finally!!!  teehee.  Anyway, I have to move there all by myself hopefully in a Apt. so I can take Cloud with me.  Although I am terribly excited, I am scared too.  I wonder how safe is do you feel about leaving your baby in an Apt?  I have this strange fear about fires.
  I'm deathly afraid that I wont be there when something happens to protect him.  I almost think I should leave him at home with my bf, which I'll be totally sad about.  Am I totally crazy?  What do you guys think about that? 
And any of you live alone?  Do you feel ok where you live all by yourself esp. being a female?  I've never lived by myself EVER before.  This will be my first time (unless I get a roomie).  Should I really try to get a roomie?  Any thoughts, opinions, suggestions is welcomed! 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=48914
[/QUOTE]
First of all... I have the same FEAR! I am sooooooooooooooooooo scared of our house burning down and I wont be there to rescue my KODIE! :eek: I refuse to live in any Apt. or condo cause i have a fear of the neighbors being careless with cooking or what not and burn the place down while i'm at work! I dunno how to help you with that fear... i'm trying to deal with that myself.
I dont think you should leave your baby behind though... you will need comforting from your baby!

I havent moved out yet either... I still live with my parents... but if i do move out I always wanted to build a new house. That way it isnt haunted from past people living there (that are now dead)..hahaha.. and then my fear of fires is less cause its all newly wired and made.... and i dont have to worry about wacko neighbors that might burn the place down.

Sorry i'm not much help... haha
I'm just as crazy as you!!! :lol:

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
yayy for college if you dont mind me asking, how old are you??

i think cloud will be fine. but no noriko??? lol.

i live in a condo, which i think is perfectly safe.. where are you going to college?

1 - 20 of 67 Posts