Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Early this morning, I was laying on the sofa with two small pillows under my head. Liz came up and started washing my face. From there, she stepped on one of the pillows and fell over the arm of the sofa with the pillow. Apparently, her head hit the crock bowl that was beside the sofa I keep kibble in. Her eyes were dilated, going easty/westy, and I think she was blind during this time. She walked into walls, and she became highly agitated. She would shake, and her tongue hung out in a limp manner. Her breathing was rapid. Her little arms would "swim". Then, she was limp and couldn't stand up. Her head would fall to the floor when I tried to stand her. I just sat and held her, feeling helpless. I didn't have the option of a good vet available today, so I was beside myself. Finally, one of my friends suggested that I give her some Predisone. I gave her 1/2 of a tablet, and she began to focus her eyes. Soon, her tongue was back in her mouth, and she could hold her head up. It's been about three hours since the pill, and she has walked a little. She seems weak so I'm just keeping her in my lap. She did eat a little food that I put into her mouth with a syringe, and she drank a little water this way too. She has had Nutrilca and some baby food during the day, but I had to stick in into her throat and get her to swallow. She's not back to normal, but she is better.
Please keep us in your prayers. She is just four months old and weighs 2 1/4 lbs.
She has always clung to me over playing with the others, and I rarely make a step without her.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by Scoobydoo@Sep 24 2005, 08:48 PM
Omg, poor Liz, I sure hope she is ok. It sounds like she may have a concussion. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=103052
[/QUOTE]

I think she has one too. She wanted to get out of my lap, and I let her walk to the paper. She almost made it on there before she stopped to wet. She then walked sort of sideways to the water dish and fell almost into it. I now have her back in my lap. She seems to be a little jumpy from time to time. I'm not sure if it's pain or the predisone. I'm sure I'll be up all night, so I'll keep the group posted.
Thanks so much for all the prayers. We need them.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
ur baby is in my thoughts...
regarding treatment...i would not give the pred..it is contraindicated in head trauma patients and can sometimes worsen the outcome. sounds like ur baby had a blow to her brain stem:( also dont over do the nutrical..want to maintain the glucose..dont want it too high (can make worse also)

a quote from an article (sorry if too technical)
Glucocorticoids (steroids like pred): The question of glucocorticoid usage is always up for debate with regard to utility in the management of TBI. Examination of the literature finds no consistent advantage to the utilization of glucocorticoids in head injured patients and potentially some disadvantages. Glucocorticoids, through their counter-regulatory hormone mechanisms can potentiate hyperglycemia. Hyperglycemia can result in the provision of additional substrate for anaerobic metabolism and thus the production of lactic acid. Intracellular acidosis may result in ongoing cellular injury. In a study of veterinary head trauma patients, degree of hyperglycemia was correlated with severity of head trauma.9 According to the Brain Trauma Foundation, "The use of glucocorticoids is not recommended for improving outcome or reducing intracranial pressure (ICP) in patients with severe head injury."

make sure her head stays elvated 20-30 degrees above her pelvis when she is laying down.

it is great that she is improving...make sure she gets her electrolytes...do her pupils resopnd to light? u can shine a light in one eye...watch to see if it changes (direct response)..also try again in the same eye but watch the other eye (it should contract also, which is a consensual response) see if she has both consensual and direct.

parker and i send hugs and kisses

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Oh Faye,

My prayers are with you and Liz....may God's hand guide yours in your care of such a little one.

Please if you can get to that emergency Vet...thanks LadyM for sharing what you know.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Jamie,
I was at my wits end when we gave the Predisone. My nurse friend told me to do it, and we also read to use it in a medical book for dogs. Wish I had you here in town instead of the idiot on call at the emergency clinic. She doesn't care about dogs at all.
I got Liz to eat a jar of turkey/turkey gravy today, and I just finished feeding her 1/2 jar of chicken noodle dinner(stage 2 baby food). She's not much on canned dog food of any kind. When I was going through the fragile time with her after weaning, I used these foods, and she loves them. Her regular food is ProPlan kibble, but she
has had to be syringe fed until the chicken noodle dinner. I hope to switch to Royal Canine, and have it here, but right now, I'll just get her to eat what she likes so she will keep her glucose levels more stable. I also got a little gatoraid in her. I can give her ringers or dextrose if you think I need to, but I have been monitoring fluids today, and I have gotten about 35 cc in her so far.
She does have some response to light, but not that great. I'm not that good with doing the light either, and she closes her eyes. This morning, they were huge and almost flat--no response at all, and they were easty/westy. Now, there is some shine to them. She does respond when I call her name.
If you think of anything else I need to do, let me know.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
sounds like u r doing what u can...just ..wish there was a vet u could call...so her eyes are not going back and forth n e more? if so thats good. she prob bruised her brainstem..just have to wait and see

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by LadyMontava@Sep 24 2005, 09:58 PM
sounds like u r doing what u can...just ..wish there was a vet u could call...so her eyes are not going back and forth n e  more?  if so thats good.  she prob bruised her brainstem..just have to wait and see

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=103075
[/QUOTE]

If I felt like there was a qualified vet on call today, I would have gone to them. As all of you know there are great vets (like our own Jamie), good vets, and horrible vets. Unfortuantely, the woman on for the weekend is horrible. The last time I was in there, she talked to me as if I was an idiot, and didn't want to see my dog. She told me to find one the next day. My vet, who is on the board of the emergency clinic, told me to report her to the board. The other emergency clinic has a young guy on who is nice, but not that up on what one should do. I think the c-section we did together was his first. He told me he wasn't sure whether he was looking at the pup or the stomach. So, folks, her I sit.
I'm going to sit in a recliner so that I can keep Liz elevated. It's been about 14 hours, and we have had a good bit of improvement in the last few hours.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts