Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night my husband and I were watching the 11' o'clock news (local station) and they had a very in depth story about a pet shop in our town. There have been several violations at this place ( as recent as last month) and they are being sued by many people for unhealthy puppies. They went to a couple of unhappy peoples home to interview them and explain the problems they were having or had had with The Dog House. One guy has a dog that once he got him home, found out he had a severe case of mange and lost all his fur. Another woman had a puppy that could not breath well and had a crusty nose which they later found out was from a collapsed lung and pneumonia. These are just a couple of stories, there are many more. Each one is still trying to get the place to honor their health guarantee which they are not and so off to court they are going. They news also interviewed a canine control officer who wanted to let people know how to go about getting a puppy , through a breeder. The officer mentioned calling local kennel clubs etc. for a breeder and not to get them from a pet store where you don't get to see how they were raised and the conditions they live in. It was so good to see the news report on what goes on behind the scenes of some pet shops and they didn't just do a 30 second thing, they gave the story a lot of air time

They did get a statement from the Dog House and they said they only sell healthy puppies and they do honor their health guarantee
not according to the people going to court! They also gave names of customers that were happy with their puppies and the store. They interviewed one lady that said she was very happy with the place and is going back soon for another puppy
This place also is a doggy day care!

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
quote:
Did they mention on the news report where the store got their pups from puppymills? I hope so

No, they didn't mention that, I wish they had, but at least they warned a lot of viewers about the pet shop. My husband and I went there once a week or so ago, just to check it out and it smelled very bad and it was more like a warehouse than a pet shop. They also keep the puppies in pens grouped together by size of puppy, so there could be 20 dogs at one time to a pen. It is a plexi glass type pen and I think they had 5 pens but not certain. The puppies had to fight over one large food dish and the alpha dog ate first and when he was finished he let the others eat. I saw this first hand and I was really worried that some of the puppies would not get enough to eat! I asked how much a Maltese cost and was told they only order one when a customer asks for one and they sell them for $1600.00.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts