Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to go back to South africa and see family and introduce my usband. We'd have to be gone at least 3 weeks. I could never leave Gizmo for that long, he'd be traumatized. What do I do? Do I just never go back? I could never do anything to make him feel abandoned and even when my mom babysits him for an hour or two he gets depressed.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Well, if you have someone wonderful, like your mom
, to watch him that makes it easier.

Start to acclimate him to being with your mom for longer and longer periods of time. Start slowly so Gizmo will get used to you being gone and he will know that you are going to return.

We have been doing this with Tiki. We are going to Japan soon, there is no way I could put him in a kennel! I have been taking him to my friends house each week. I leave him for longer, and longer times each visit. This past weekend he stayed with them from Friday - Sunday. He was just fine.. happy to get home, but he ate and slept well while he was there and he wasn't worried when I left on Friday! Now, this kind of made me sad... I sort of wish he missed me more
but I know he will be fine when we go on our trip.

Judi

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just don't know if *I* could leave him. On our honeymoon we came home early because we missed him so much. I leave him with my mom often, but he never seems to get used to me not being there. I just don't know what to do. Do I just never go anywhere, I mean he IS my responsibility. If he is unhappy then it's my fault.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I guess the best option would be for you to leave him with your mom. He is already familiar with her. What you can do is what the person above mentioned.
Leave him for a few hours then a day then two days, like on the weekend.
I'm sure he will be ok. We brought Chester back the breeder when we went on our honey moon. She treated him great, but he had other dogs and cats to play with. She even took pictures of him playing for us. He did not get created at all and was free to run the house. Chester even returned home with some good training. The last time we went away for the weekend our inlaws watched the puppies for us. They also had a great time.
They were ok because we take them there all the time. Leave your mom with his favorite toys.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts