Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have removed the information in this post. This thread was started as an attempt to solicit stud service. This type of thread is not allowed here on SM but because the replies were so valuable and educational for those who may be thinking of breeding their pet Maltese, we wanted to leave the thread public. We suggest that anyone thinking of breeding a pet ... stop and read what is posted here. - Admin Team

·
Premium Member
5,487 Posts
a dane maltese?
I never heard of a male being called that.

Do you show your female?
Has she had the relevant health tests?
Is she from a reputable breeder?

I wouldn't be looking for a sire on an online forum.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok. I am sorry. I am looking for a sire. I'm sorry for the wrong wording.

I have papers; she is registered and she is very healthy.

I want to breed her for the fact that she is a wonderful dog and family and friends would like to have one of her offspring. I don't show the dog and don't plan to. This is out of love.

I am not sure where else to look for a sire.

·
Premium Member
5,487 Posts
Being honest - if you breed her you will be nothing but a BYB.
She needs health tests and should cohere to the breed standard.

I'm sure that you love her and she is well cared for but just wanting her to have puppies is a terrible way to breed.

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
Hi,
There is so much more to breeding than your reasons. I am sure your pup is cared for and loved, but please don't breed her/
Genetic testing , and so much more is involved than just putting two dogs together and hoping for the best. I know some of our great breeders here at Spoiled Maltese will come in and explain things way better than me. For now read up on the forum and soak in all you can, your mind may change when you start to realize it's not the right thing to do.

Good Luck

·
Premium Member
3,223 Posts
:smscare2: Can't be a Great Dane / Maltese mix. :HistericalSmiley:

But that is all I can think of as in nearly 20 years of being heavily involved in this breed I have never heard that term.

Maybe it is some kind of alternate registration, as the OP mentions papers, but does not specify AKC papers.

To the original poster: Do you have any idea what it means to breed responsibly? I have no idea what your intentions are, but you have come here with a very loaded question and it seems you have not done a lot of homework about breeding if you are already three days into the heat cycle of your dog before you have thought about finding a suitable stud.

Here are 10 questions you should consider before you breed:

1. Are you prepared to lose puppies or even your female dog in the process (breeding is scary and a lot can and often does go wrong)?

2. How well do you know the health issues in the lineage of your dog? (Do you know if any of the dogs in the pedigree have had or produced liver shunts or GME, if you are not familiar with these illnesses and the history then do a lot more reading and research before breeding any Maltese)

3. How well do you understand genetics, do you have any idea what it means to choose a stud (and a pedigree) who would make good sense with your female?

4. In those papers you have, do you have a pedigree going back at least 5 generations? (And of course will you also get that from the stud)

5. Do the dogs in those above pedigrees have contributitions to the breed in the form of conformation (and/or performance titles)?

6. Are you very sure you have homes lined up? (Often these promises dry up when faced with the reality of a puppy)

7. If a health crisis arises in one of the puppies or in your girl can you afford to pay the costs in vet care? (Remember some problems last a lifetime and the commitment you make is not just for the next few months)

8. Does your girl and the potential stud come close to the breed standard? (If not, then you may be misleading people who want a well bred dog)

9. Is your girl and the potential stud a solid example of the temperament described in the AKC standard? (Again, you may be misleading people about the nature of the dog if you represent a dog that is not compatible with the temperament of a purebred example of the breed).

10. Are you willing to take the puppies back in the future if the new owners are no longer able to keep their dog? (You are bringing a life into the world. If you are not responsible they may end up in a shelter or worse).

·
Premium Member
4,225 Posts
This is a very controversial subject to address on this particular site. I've never heard of a male called a Dane either. What nationality is that?
Here is an article to look at for what people here are trying to tell you. Just because a dog has a pedigree doesn't always make it a good speciman to breed.
::TRUTH ABOUT AKC PAPERS::

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
The bottom line is since you don't know the pedigree and what lies behind it there is little if any chance someone with a reputable line of maltese would breed to your pet. It would be far more sensible for your friends and relatives to buy a pup from a reputable breeder than to risk the life of your dog and the pups just to have one.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I think it's safe to say that if you have an adult unaltered female, chances are you did not acquire her through a reputable breeder, or you would've been on a spay/neuter agreement. You will not be able to find a reputable breeder who will offer their dog to you as stud and the responsible pet owners on this site mostly have their dogs spayed/neutered. In the end, your only option will be to breed your girl to a unneutered Maltese from another irreputable breeder, who may or may not be a good representation of the breed physically or temperamentally. In the process, you'll be putting your beloved pet through a lot of stress and potential health problems for essentially selfish reasons.

Please consider going through a breeder if you want another Maltese. Advise your family to do the same. It takes more than having an unspayed female to make you qualified to have and care for a litter and face the possible health disasters that can come as a result. If cost is the concern, consider the fact that if your female ends up in distress during labor, she will need a C-section--the cost of which would cost more than a pup from a good show breeder.

This is definitely not a group that's going to take kindly to BYBs and adding Maltese to the gene pool that do not conform to standard. I'm sorry if my response seems harsh, but I want to make sure it's really clear.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Please reconsider breeding your little girl. Breeding is a HUGE responsibility and takes a lot of research and knowledge about the Maltese breed and genetics. If you want to breed correctly and responsibly, you do not just put two purebred dogs together to breed and produce puppies.

First of all, let me tell you a story that CAN happen. Often things go wrong with breeding...and something things can go horribly wrong. I have a good friend that is a very reputable and responsible show breeder. She absolutely loves her dogs and treats them as her loving pets as well as showing them. She very carefully made the decision to breed a pair of her yorkies to try to get her next show dog. She did everything the right way and was well prepared. However, her female had to have a C-section, and due to complications she died a couple days after whelping her litter. She also lost 2 out of three puppies. It was devestating to her to lose her female. I'm telling you this because you must know that it is possible that your female could actually die because of you breeding her, especially if you do not have the knowledge you should before you breed her. Breeding is serious business.

Second, if you really love your girl and the Maltese breed, you would want to be as sure as possible that you are bringing puppies into this world that will be free of any genetic health issues and conform well to the standard physically and tempermentally. There are plenty of "just pets" in this world that are in shelters and rescue groups right now..there are not enough homes for them all. So if someone plans to bring more puppies into this world, they should only do so if they are really attempting to bring puppies into this world that are excellent specimens of the breed.

I really hope you'll read and listen to everyone's advice. I know you want to breed your girl and will probably take some offense to our advice, but please really think about it. We all just want what is best for you, your dog, and the breed in general. And what is best for your dog is to spay her and either buy from a reputable breeder or rescue your next maltese.

·
Registered
10,743 Posts
I had a beautiful black cocker spaniel,tiny,about 11 pounds,tiny for a cocker I thought so many times about breeding her so I could have another just like Amy,but even if she's Amy's pup she wouldn't be just like Amy. We had so many requests to bred her from many people who saw her.
I never bred her though,and when she died ,I still kinda wished I'd had a pup from her.But I didn't want to take a chance on her health. Many years before we did breed one of our cockers Buffy,just once,she had 5 healthy happy pups,all adopted by friends,except one,we wanted to keep. Einie was such a sweetie,at 9 he developed CHF,he lived to be 14 years old though.He was blesssed w/ the most amazing and affectionate nature,we were so lucky. All our pups had great personalities,since we played w/ them and socialized them and didn't sell them until 14 weeks. But breeding changed Buffy's personality,she wasn't the playful pup she was before breeding. She just wasn't as affectionate like she was before breeding.

Worst thing was 2 of the friends who adopted our pups ended up getting rid of them,too busy for a dog,never availed themselves to our offer to pay for spay. They never asked if we wanted them back,which I would have taken them back in a heartbeat,no matter how old they were. They were too embarrassed to ask us to take them back. I vowed never to do it again,for friends...

So I vowed never to do that to Amy or our Amber who were healthy but we didn't know what might be lurking in the genes. This was 27 years ago,before we knew better.
I know the temptation,I understand wanting another "just like the one you have".But seriously,please consider a rescue or a shelter,you'd be saving a life instead of bringing one into the world that might end up being given away....

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
Ut Oh is right. I think what the OP is trying to ask for was a sire. She mixed up Sire and Dame and then mispronounced Dame to Dane. Suffice it to say that she is not really ready to breed any dog much less a Maltese.

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Hello,

I have a 2 yr old (just about) female Maltese with papers that I would like to breed for puppies. I have many people in the family that would want a puppy from her including myself.

Angela B.
Why? Tell your family to check out PetFinder. There are thousands of wonderful Maltese who are in need of a home. And trust me, they are every bit as deserving as any puppy you seem to want to produce.

While you're at it, check out Petfinder yourself. Take a look at all the homeless dogs. Pay special attention to those in the shelters, living in cages with cold concrete floors. They need our voice, not more roommates.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts