Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All, This is my first post and I hope that you can help me. This seems like a caring group. We have recently lost our Bichon at the age of 14. We would very much like our next dog to be a Maltese. We live in Massachusetts but are looking all over the New England area. I really have no idea where to begin. I've read so many positive, then negative reviews of different breeders online and I'm completely lost. We are looking for a healthy, affectionate dog to love, not to show. Any help you could give with area breeders would be greatly appreciated. This is such a crazy time and I realize from speaking with Dina Hunter in CT that if I were to get one of her puppies, I would not get to meet Dina or the puppy's Sire or Dam in person. I would not be able to go in the house. Dina said she would leave the puppy in a playpen outside the house for me to pick-up and I would leave her payment. This is a very nerve-wracking way to get a new puppy.

Registered
I am so sorry to hear about your sweet Bichon. There is nothing like losing our little ones 馃槩.

This is a such a difficult time in the world right now, so it must making adopting a pup very challenging. I am not sure how I feel about that adoption arrangement with the pup being dropped off, and I鈥檇 want to learn more about the breeder, so I will leave that for another member to help guide you. You may want to search Dina on this search engine to learn more. If you have considered rescue, I鈥榙 recommend reaching out to Sue (Snowbody on this site) to discuss American Maltese Association Rescue. Their website is: American Maltese Association Rescue

For a list of breeders, you may want to visit: Breeder Referral by State | American Maltese Association

Wishing you all the best.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
I am so sorry to hear about your sweet Bichon. There is nothing like losing our little ones 馃槩.

This is a such a difficult time in the world right now, so it must making adopting a pup very challenging. I am not sure how I feel about that adoption arrangement with the pup being dropped off, and I鈥檇 want to learn more about the breeder, so I will leave that for another member to help guide you. You may want to search Dina on this search engine to learn more. If you have considered rescue, I鈥榙 recommend reaching out to Sue (Snowbody on this site) to discuss American Maltese Association Rescue. Their website is: American Maltese Association Rescue

For a list of breeders, you may want to visit: Breeder Referral by State | American Maltese Association

Wishing you all the best.
Thank you so much for your kind words. I miss having a dog so much. It would be such a comfort to have one right now,

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Maddysmom,

I know that Dina's dogs are gorgeous. Would you be comfortable with the arrangement that she has proposed?

Premium Member
Maddysmom,

I know that Dina's dogs are gorgeous. Would you be comfortable with the arrangement that she has proposed?
Honestly...in times like this, I would be fine with that, only because of Dina鈥檚 reputation. If we were talking about some fly by night puppy mill ex: Royal house of maltese, out of Beverly, Ma...I would say absolutely not.
i have found working with the public, people are very nervous, paranoid etc. and for very good reason. My very good friend who owns a dog boutique literally put my dog food down outside her door, in fear I had the virus from working with the public.
I鈥檓 sure Dina would provide you with lots of pictures beforehand of sire, dam and puppy.
I would be more cautious of the Breeder opening her door to just anyone. Just because someone looks and feels good, doesn鈥檛 mean they can鈥檛 infect someone.
I think she is just being extra, extra careful, imo.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Honestly...in times like this, I would be fine with that, only because of Dina鈥檚 reputation. If we were talking about some fly by night puppy mill ex: Royal house of maltese, out of Beverly, Ma...I would say absolutely not.
i have found working with the public, people are very nervous, paranoid etc. and for very good reason. My very good friend who owns a dog boutique literally put my dog food down outside her door, in fear I had the virus from working with the public.
I鈥檓 sure Dina would provide you with lots of pictures beforehand of sire, dam and puppy.
I would be more cautious of the Breeder opening her door to just anyone. Just because someone looks and feels good, doesn鈥檛 mean they can鈥檛 infect someone.
I think she is just being extra, extra careful, imo.
Thank you for your advice.

Registered
Hi, I'm so sorry for the loss of your Bichon. While Dina has an excellent reputation, I would NOT be comfortable with those arrangements. I would wait until you can meet her, the pup, and the parents.

I speak from experience. I have learned my lesson to spend time with the puppy and breeder and meet the dam and, if possible, the sire so you know the type of temperament you are getting.

I had a bad experience buying a Maltese sight unseen. He was a gorgeous dog from a super show breeder, but he was way too shy and barky for my condo lifestyle. I would have found that out if I had spent time at the breeder's home.

My next dog was my other standard poodle who I also bought sight unseen. She is the sweetest thing in the world and I adore her, but even though her parents were fully health tested and shown in conformation, she has an immune disorder that was not noticed or disclosed to me before I got her, which has cost thousands of dollars in vet bills every year. (Standard poodles, like Maltese, have many health problems in the breed.)

For my next standard, I did everything right. I chose a local breeder who I could visit, who shows in conformation and does full health testing. I chose him out of several dogs based on his temperament test and personal connection and was able to look him over and determine that from a visual inspection he was very healthy. His parents both had perfect temperaments. This is the only way I'd EVER do it again! Lesson finally learned.

Attachments

Registered
Hello All, This is my first post and I hope that you can help me. This seems like a caring group. We have recently lost our Bichon at the age of 14. We would very much like our next dog to be a Maltese. We live in Massachusetts but are looking all over the New England area. I really have no idea where to begin. I've read so many positive, then negative reviews of different breeders online and I'm completely lost. We are looking for a healthy, affectionate dog to love, not to show. Any help you could give with area breeders would be greatly appreciated. This is such a crazy time and I realize from speaking with Dina Hunter in CT that if I were to get one of her puppies, I would not get to meet Dina or the puppy's Sire or Dam in person. I would not be able to go in the house. Dina said she would leave the puppy in a playpen outside the house for me to pick-up and I would leave her payment. This is a very nerve-wracking way to get a new puppy.
I am very confused by this post as it seams to be 50% copied word for word from my post....with some details changed. what is up with this?

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Hi, I'm so sorry for the loss of your Bichon. While Dina has an excellent reputation, I would NOT be comfortable with those arrangements. I would wait until you can meet her, the pup, and the parents.

I speak from experience. I have learned my lesson to spend time with the puppy and breeder and meet the dam and, if possible, the sire so you know the type of temperament you are getting.

I had a bad experience buying a Maltese sight unseen. He was a gorgeous dog from a super show breeder, but he was way too shy and barky for my condo lifestyle. I would have found that out if I had spent time at the breeder's home.

My next dog was my other standard poodle who I also bought sight unseen. She is the sweetest thing in the world and I adore her, but even though her parents were fully health tested and shown in conformation, she has an immune disorder that was not noticed or disclosed to me before I got her, which has cost thousands of dollars in vet bills every year. (Standard poodles, like Maltese, have many health problems in the breed.)

For my next standard, I did everything right. I chose a local breeder who I could visit, who shows in conformation and does full health testing. I chose him out of several dogs based on his temperament test and personal connection and was able to look him over and determine that from a visual inspection he was very healthy. His parents both had perfect temperaments. This is the only way I'd EVER do it again! Lesson finally learned.
Thank you. You raise some very good points.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
I am very confused by this post as it seams to be 50% copied word for word from my post....with some details changed. what is up with this?
Nothing is up with this. These words were expressed from my heart. We share similar feelings don't we?

Registered
You're very welcome. Also, is this the beautiful 4 mo. old female on her website? If so, the dog is already past the socialization window, so it would not matter if you got her now or in a month or two.

Registered
There is nothing shady going on here. This is a time that we should all be kind to one another. If you can't say something nice, please stop talking about me.
You copied my heartfelt words and you consider me unkind. I will let members decide for themselves.

Registered
No, it is a boy. She said that he is too big to show. He will be 7 to 8 pounds when fully grown.
Oh, I think that's the pup I was talking about! Silly me, of course he's a boy :) What a great size he will be. I like slightly larger Malts myself.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts