Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

We've fed our girls Honest Kitchen for years. It is more difficult for us to get now so I'm looking for alternatives.

I was on here yesterday and read about Acana, I went to our local specialty food place and picked up Orijen's adult formula. So far the girls are not crazy about it. We're getting the look like.. "really? this is what you're giving me"

Anyway, we're still experimenting, we've had the Stella and Chewys before, and that seems good, but I didn't personally like breaking it apart by hand.

I may just end up shipping the Honest Kitchen over here again but in the meantime...

Any other suggestions! Our Malts are 2, 7, and 8

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I rotate different foods for variety. I try to limit Acana cause of the high protein. If they are on Acana they need to be taking in a good amount of water cause of the protein. My malt does not drink enough water.

I really like Wellness......especially the stew type canned.
I also like Merrick.
Fromm is good too but my malt did not like it but the ingredients are good.

Addiction and Sojos are similar to Honest kitchen.

·
Premium Member
8,521 Posts
I feed mine Acana Pacifica (fish) in the mornings and Dr. Harvey's Veg-t-bowl in the evenings. When making the Dr. Harvey's i use either lamb or salmon and use more of the vegetables than what is called for. We tried te Grandama Lucy's and none of the fluff's would eat it.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
What's available to me is somewhat limited but I use Acana Grasslands as her main kibble. (We tried the Pacifica but she didn't like that at all- mine doesn't like fish for some reason). I have to mix in a moist food into her kibble at each meal. I sometimes use the Addiction Raw Dehydrated- Fig 'licious Vension Feast mixed in with her Acana- not every day but a couple times a week..and she likes that.

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
I can tell you that I LOVE Grandma Lucy's Artisan (FKA Truth) and so does Hunter! I will never again not know when it's 5pm :)!

Its super easy to work with, travels well, and smells GREAT! I get it from Crystal (Pampered Pets Boutique LLC) but I have seen it in a few boutiques where I live and you can also order directly from Grandma Lucy's website.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
You will need to try them on it for more than a day or two (for one thing, switching fast causes stomach upsets, for another, it sometimes takes a week or so for them to recognize that this is the new kibble/show you how much they like it...they are used to something else and know this isn't the usual so takes them a little bit to get in the swing, I think) If they still don't seem to like it, gradually mix it with the next one you want to try to help avoid upset tummies...

We are happy with Evangers and Wellness Simple Solutions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts