Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

We are empty nesters and looking to add a toy breed that we can take with us on trips, small enough to fly in the cabin of a plane. I have always had therapy dogs and I want a dog I can continue to volunteer with. I am looking for a small dog 6 or 7 pounds that has a very friendly, outgoing temperament, loves everyone. A Golden Retriever personality in a small package. Does this sound like Maltese, I also, have considered Pomeranian, Papillon and Toy Poodle.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just noticed I posted a very similar post a while back. I am having such a hard time picking a breed. I go to dog shows and each breed I watch on my list and talk to breeders and decide that is the dog for me until I go to the next ring and see the next breed. I want under ten pounds, playful, affectionate, outgoing and happy. A sweet dog that loves meeting new people, cuddling and going on walks, weather permitting or playing fetch if it's to hot cold or rainy.

Did anyone else have this problem? What other dogs did you consider and what made you chose Maltese. I guess my only concern with Maltese would be can they go on a forty five minute or hour walk and how difficult is it to keep them white.

I would love to here how you decided on a Maltese.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Hi - how fun to be choosing a new dog! I wish you all the best in your search.
I have had six Maltese in total, and currently have two. They all have had very different personalities. I would say that overall they are very happy, friendly dogs. Personally, I chose them because I think they are adorable, and I love their sweet dispositions. I also chose them because we are not active "outdoorsy" types, and I wanted laps dogs that would be happy being indoors with us most of the time. Mine would never go on such a long walk, but I did not train them to do that since it is not something I do myself often. I know that Joanne here goes on very long walks with her girls, so maybe she will chime in. They do get dusty feet on walks, but if you keep their hair on the shorter side it is not really a problem.
I would recommend working closely with a breeder to try to find the personality that you are looking for. You would also probably want a larger Maltese. The standard is 4-7 pounds, and there is a big difference between the little ones and the bigger ones. My Henry is four pounds, and his little bones seem super fragile, whereas Daisy is seven pounds and much more sturdy. Mine all love to play fetch indoors, and they all would be great service dogs. They are very loving little creatures. Hope this helps a little!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, your reply is very helpful. Yes, I am hoping to get a Maltese in the seven pound weight range. I have a white Havanese and he picks up every leaf in his coat and his white legs are always brown or gray after our walks and I have to wash his face after he eats his raw food. I have to admit after having a fluffy white dog, the only downside I see to Maltese is that fluffy white coat. I know their glory is that beautiful white coat but I kind of wish they came in black. LOL

·
Premium Member
Paulann & Abella
1,276 Posts
I can so understand where you are coming from. I too did lots and lots of research and attended many dog shows before deciding that a maltese was a perfect fit for me. I too wanted a companion that was sweet, cuddly, loved sitting on my lap, affectionate and very trainable as I planned on taking her everywhere with me....and of coarse beautiful. I did not care so much about the long walks. Abella meets and exceeds all those requirements. When I got her I had planned on keeping her in a cute puppy cut but as I read more books and attended more shows I just fell in love with the Maltese gorgeous coat. I'm thinking if you decide on a maltese you could keep it in a short puppy cut so walks should not be to much of an issue with the white coat. I put Abella in a buggy when I go for hikes or walks....I thought I'd never be one of those that did that - but here I am loving pushing her in her buggy and being able to still keep her long hair white, flowing and beautiful. Part of the deciding factor for me was that maltese are bred for companionship and love being with their humans.

I'm sure you know personalties vary so much within each breed. Therefore it is so important to have a good breeder that can match the personality you are looking for as closely as possible. In the long run after all your research when you decide on your fluff I am reasonably confident you will fall in love with that little pup and it will fill your heart with so much love you wondered how you got along without it by your side sharing your life. Please keep us updated as to what you decide on. Please feel free to ask any additional questions you may have.....We here are all a bit partial to Maltese. LOL!!!
🐶 🐾🌷

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Most days I probably would do a thirty minute morning and evening walk around the neighborhood. If I decided to go hiking on the trails, I would bring a dog backpack so I could carry him in the backpack when he gets tired.

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
I just noticed I posted a very similar post a while back. I am having such a hard time picking a breed. I go to dog shows and each breed I watch on my list and talk to breeders and decide that is the dog for me until I go to the next ring and see the next breed. I want under ten pounds, playful, affectionate, outgoing and happy. A sweet dog that loves meeting new people, cuddling and going on walks, weather permitting or playing fetch if it's to hot cold or rainy.

Did anyone else have this problem? What other dogs did you consider and what made you chose Maltese. I guess my only concern with Maltese would be can they go on a forty five minute or hour walk and how difficult is it to keep them white.

I would love to here how you decided on a Maltese.
Welcome!
My girls walk anywhere from 1-2 miles a day. My biggest girl who is 9 lbs can easily do 4 miles and used to every day but im much too lazy to do that now 🤦🏻‍♀️ My other two are just nearly 4 lbs and 5 lbs and they run circles around my big girl with all their energy.
Its how you condition them. If you train them to walk, they will walk.
Keep in mind the first year, youneed togo slow. I would not recommend walking on pavement or doing long walks. Their bones are still growing and walking on the hard pavement is too much stress on their bone development.
i have a chart somewhere. If your interested, ill look for it. It tells you what they can are capable of doing those first few years. This is for all dogs, not just maltese.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maddy's Mom, your three dogs are gorgeous. Yes, I agree I would need to be very careful the first year while the bones are growing. Thank you, that is a great point.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts