Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm new to the site. I lost my beloved 14 year old rescue Maltese mix to an inoperable liver tumor back in May of this year. I was very blessed as when she was diagnosed I was told she could have as little as three months. She lived for more than a year - happy and pain and symptom-free. As I'm sure many of you have experienced, it truly broke my heart. She was such a joy. I am so thankful that I was able to give her a great life after her having a rough start in her young life. I very much want to give another rescue dog a wonderful life where she can feel loved, safe, and trusting. I have searched online for weeks and there just don't seem to be any Maltese or Maltese mixes available. I have also broadened my search to other small, hypoallergenic dogs. I live in the Washington, DC area. I would be so grateful for any suggestions. Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
10,412 Posts
I'm so very sorry for your loss!

Petfinder is a great source of rescues available for adoption from many shelters and rescues; you can filter your search by geographic area. American Maltese Association Rescue (AMAR) has a strong presence in the east and is very active on Facebook. Metropolitan Maltese Rescue is in NYC so not horribly far, and Southern Comfort Maltese is a bit further south but still might be within your region.

Northcentral Maltese Rescue sometimes has dogs being fostered in NC so you may want to check them out as well. Both of mine came from them. In my profile pic, Josie on the left is a shih tzu, bichon, pom and poodle mix (I had the DNA done) and Tessa on the right is a maltese/shih tzu mix. Both are under 9 pounds each and are wonderful dogs.

Good luck in your search!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm so very sorry for your loss!

Petfinder is a great source of rescues available for adoption from many shelters and rescues; you can filter your search by geographic area. American Maltese Association Rescue (AMAR) has a strong presence in the east and is very active on Facebook. Metropolitan Maltese Rescue is in NYC so not horribly far, and Southern Comfort Maltese is a bit further south but still might be within your region.

Northcentral Maltese Rescue sometimes has dogs being fostered in NC so you may want to check them out as well. Both of mine came from them. In my profile pic, Josie on the left is a shih tzu, bichon, pom and poodle mix (I had the DNA done) and Tessa on the right is a maltese/shih tzu mix. Both are under 9 pounds each and are wonderful dogs.

Good luck in your search!
Thank you so much for your kind words and for all the suggestions! Your dogs are so adorable!

I've tried Petfinder, AMAR, and Southern Comfort but no luck as of yet.

I will definitely look into Metropolitan Maltese Rescue and Northcentral Maltese Rescue and will keep checking back on the other sites.

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
18,164 Posts
Great advice from Maggie---but I would have expected nonetheless! Sending you loving wishes for a great adoption & please come back & let us know. We always enjoy getting new members here & following the life of your baby. SM is a caring community so hopefully you will stick around!

·
Premium Member
24,038 Posts
Hi Mikki - I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm the National Coordinator for the East Coast for AMAR. When you said you tried us, how did you do so? Did you speak to Peggy our Mid Atlantic coordinator? I don't see any adoption application with your first name. We don't have all our dogs listed if they're not ready for adoption yet but that can easily change. The best thing to do is fill out an application and we keep those on hand so if a dog comes in who seems like they would be in touch we can reach out to you. If you apply for dogs who are posted with rescues they're often gone before you get an application in. Try to use a computer rather than a mobile device: American Maltese Association Rescue
Also Metropolitan Maltese Rescue only rescues in New York City, LI and northern NJ. Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great advice from Maggie---but I would have expected nonetheless! Sending you loving wishes for a great adoption & please come back & let us know. We always enjoy getting new members here & following the life of your baby. SM is a caring community so hopefully you will stick around!
Thank you so much for the kind wishes. Agree, great advice from Maggie! This seems like a great community. It's a challenging process as there are so few small, hypoallergenic dogs and a great deal of interest. It's definitely a different world from when I adopted my last rescue dog for sure. Thanks again!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Mikki - I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm the National Coordinator for the East Coast for AMAR. When you said you tried us, how did you do so? Did you speak to Peggy our Mid Atlantic coordinator? I don't see any adoption application with your first name. We don't have all our dogs listed if they're not ready for adoption yet but that can easily change. The best thing to do is fill out an application and we keep those on hand so if a dog comes in who seems like they would be in touch we can reach out to you. If you apply for dogs who are posted with rescues they're often gone before you get an application in. Try to use a computer rather than a mobile device: American Maltese Association Rescue
Also Metropolitan Maltese Rescue only rescues in New York City, LI and northern NJ. Good luck!
Hi Snowbody,

Thank you so much for the introduction and for your kind expression of sympathy at the loss of my Mikki. Peggy and I exchanged emails and then I followed up with a phone call. We had a great conversation. She did have a female, a 6 year old mixed terrier, but she was not hypoallergenic. My entire family has allergies and while I understand that no dog is completely hypoallergenic, they all did very well with Mikki who was a Maltese-Pekingese or Maltese-Shih Tzu (not sure as she was a rescue).

I haven't yet completed an adoption application as I have come to realize that, as you indicated, when I have applied for dogs who are posted with rescue organizations, they've been adopted by the time I submit my application. So I contacted Peggy directly. It is very helpful to know that all dogs are not listed as they are not yet available - thank you so very much for that information! I will definitely complete an application.

Thanks for wishing me good luck and once again, I very much appreciate the information!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts