Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My parents have gone away for a long weekend and I am dogsitting Aaden. I was thinking wouldn't it be cute to make some kind of paw print ornament for us to give as a Christmas gift to my parents (Aaden is on a diet, so no treats; he can't play with toys because he shreds them in minutes, so I am left with limited options
).

So my question is, does anyone know how to do this? Do they sell kits for this kind of thing? Has anyone ever done it with a dog? How did it turn out?

Keep in mind, I am not real crafty and if it involves too many steps, forget it!

Or does anyone have a better idea?

I read on one site how people saved their dog's hair and put it inside an ornament. I thought that would be cute to do with a Malt's hair; it would be white and angelic looking. However, can you imagine a Beagle's fur? YUCK! It is gross all over the floor so hanging on my Christmas tree just doesn't seem right!

P.S. It has been a crazy weekend with the three dogs. Aaden is one feeding schedule and Wally and Toby are on another. As hard as we try, no one can adjust to the different schedules!

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Here is a kit : I think you could adjust the concept to make an ornament.

http://www.mccallisters.com/polyform_produ...epsake_clay.htm

Another idea in the event you can't find the kit:
A couple of years ago I bought 'empty' snowglobes where you can insert a photo and gave to some friends .Some I put photos of grandchildren, but one gal was single and I put a photo of her dog.. she loved it!

Terry, Angel Missy and little Naddie

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I am sure you could do the same thing with the salt/dough recipe. My kids make ornaments out of that every year. You could put a paw print in it and then let it harden. Then you can paint it, decorate it, whatever. The salt/dough is cheap and easy. Here is a good article/link. Salt-dough

·
Registered
285 Posts
Wal-mart also has what they call Gallery Glass paints, use it to paint on
glass or make cling ons all kinds of stuff you could trace his paw and
then paint it on the outside of a plain glass christmas bulb that you
can get at craft stores.

Paint his name and year and all that with it.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
The Picture Place in the mall (where they do children's photos) sells a kit with a frame that holds both a photo and a plaster hand (paw) print. It includes the instructions and material for making the print and is really nice. I know I'd love to have one!

·
Registered
17,036 Posts
If you decide against the paw ornament you could do water color paw prints on a sheet of art paper and frame it for them(include a picture of him making the paw print and date.)

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i got the crayola model magic and made paw prints of the dogs. you can poke a hole and make it into a christmas ornament. it dries and its still light in weight. i like it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts