Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all my husband has been a police officer for 17 years lucky he got on young (21) so he alwys wanted to go to k9 and it looks like he will be . they inport a german sherpard puppy from Germany and he will go through a year of training with the dog now the kicker is the police dept sets up a kennel for you in your back yard for the dog. i know he will be a trained police dog and i am a animal lover and it is my hubbys hearts desire but i feel bad leaving a dog outside all the time
. do you think a big dog can get along (sometimes) with little dogs ?

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
I know at my home big and little get along. My Westie was away being shown several months, and when she came home, she just became "one of the girls again". Right now, she is nose to nose with one who is four pounds. I do have to watch when they run and play. We also have a farm dog (Border Collie) who comes in part of the time. The little ones fuss at her so for envading their territory. She just lays there and looks at them like they are crazy.
I think it is in whether they grow up with the others, and whether you monitor teir time together. I, too, would want the German Shepard to be able to come in to be a part of the family, but I would watch them, and not leave them alone. Even if you are able to give the big dog an hour in with you, it's better than nothing. But, just remember, it will be with your husband, getting a lot of attention when on his shift.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I think big and small dogs CAN get along fine, BUT the thing to worry about is that the big dog could take one wrong step and step on Buddy or Chico. My sister has an Austrailian Shepherd and he and Peanut get along beautifully, BUT the Aussie is just too big to be able to play safely with Peanut. He's not a misbehaved dog by any means, it's just that he is so much heavier than Peanut that one wrong step could surely have Peanut in surgery for broken bones. I'm sure someone with more experience could offer you better advice. But also a police dog, might have to live outside because of all the training he's been through, living inside with people and other dogs might affect his training?? I don't know, I'm just rambling now.

Congrat's to your hubby for this achievement!!!! You must be so proud of him

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Since this dog will be trained I think they will get along ok. I didn't think they had to live outside though. I thought they could live inside with you. Maybe it depends on the state? Who knows.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I do hope they get along great. I just love those police dogs...so well behaved! My little Lacey is a good little dog but nothing compared to the police dogs.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Congrats to your hubby,you must be proud! Since it will be a puppy Im sure all willl be well . Maybe he can be raised in your home instead of outside. I know in our area the K9 dogs are raised in the house with the rest of the family. Because his training will be ongoing I dont think you will have any problems.They are trained SOOOOO intentcley.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all i really feel it is meant to be it will. He is so excited and i am excited for him too but i always have to think of my babies but i know he will be a very well trained pup wish us luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts