Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed Scooby scratching his left ear and then shaking his head. This makes his ears flop together loudly so he wakes me up a few times at night. -_- What could this be? I've checked his ears & there doesn't seem to be anything in there. There isn't a whole lot of hair, although I guess I could clean it up a bit to make sure but I'm afraid to hurt him if I do it the wrong way.
Any suggestions??

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Sounds like it may be the beginnings of an ear infection. I would call the vet and while you're there they can pull the hairs or teach you how to do it too. Hope all this gets figured out soon

·
Registered
17,045 Posts
Originally posted by ahappystamper@Sep 27 2005, 01:55 PM
I've noticed Scooby scratching his left ear and then shaking his head. This makes his ears flop together loudly so he wakes me up a few times at night.  -_-  What could this be? I've checked his ears & there doesn't seem to be anything in there. There isn't a whole lot of hair, although I guess I could clean it up a bit to make sure but I'm afraid to hurt him if I do  it the wrong way. 
  Any suggestions??
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=103986
[/QUOTE]

This is exactly how Sassy's began. Scratching here and there, shaking her head. I kept sniffing her ears....no smell. I looked inside, even used a flashlight. I did not see anything. No escess hair, no wax, not redness, nothing. When Dr. Bennett diagnosed her with yeast infection in her ear. I said, "I thought her ears would smell if she had an infection." He kind of chuckled and said, "they would smell if you didn't do such a good job at keeping them clean." He said nothing that clean would smell. But, she still has an ear infection. :new_Eyecrazy:

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Mine have all had an ear infection at one point. Other than Joppy, the only tell-tale sign was the scratching and shaking of the head. A vet visit is in order, if there is an infection, your little one will need antibiotics to clear it up.

How old is your baby? We need pics!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts