Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Greece with my lovely maltese Ivi and I'm going crazy with all the loose dogs we see every day we go out. Half of them are stray dogs and half are with their owners, but most of the people here don't keep their dogs on leash. And not only that, but they have no control of their dogs. So we have some weird dogs coming to us AND following us around all the time...

Ivi is now 1 year and 9 months old, and since she was 5 months old she has had a huge problem meeting other dogs when i have her on a leash. I've done so much training with her and she was doing very well. We were able to walk by other dogs, sit next to them, anything as long as she knew they can't touch her or greet her. She would be totally fine and not stressed at all. BUT if they come close enough to smell her, she will bark bark bark bark... (doesn't attack them and has never even tried to bite anyone... but she will bark and she is very stressed out and wants to make sure they stay away...) We are from Finland and spend our summers there, and in a dog park where she can run free she is fine with all the small dogs. (I would never take her to a park with big dogs. She is so scared of them.)

So now, after 2 months in Greece it's going baaaad and I'm carrying her around and having to pick her up all the time when those loose dogs come, most of them are huge... I tell people to come get their dogs but they don't listen/understand and I try not to pick her up all the time when the loose dog is a small one, but Ivi goes nuts when I let them get to her... Even when I pick her up, if they keep following us she will start barking/growling... It's a nightmare to go for a walk here. I know she will just become more scared of the big dogs, and probably small ones too because I pick her up and try to 'save her' from them all the time. She has sooo much energy and really needs her daily walk but I don't know if I can keep taking her out without going crazy and I still have 6 months before I will go back home :( No dog parks or dog trainers here, I can't even think of a way to keep socializing her with the other dogs here.
What would you do, any suggestions? Sorry long post. Ps. I love your forum, so much great information and funny stories here...

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
thats terrible that you cant go on a walk w ur fluff. i think u should try to give her as much exercise as u can at home. And take her for walks only if u know no strays are going to be around. maybe searche the web to see if u find a playgroup around ur area for small dogs ?

·
Premium Member
17,455 Posts
You are preaching to the choir here!
Where in Greece do you live? You can PM me if you don't want it out to the public! I live in N. Erythria on the border of Kifissia---northern suburb of Athens! I have an 8 month old maltese puppy who also needs to be socialized more w/dogs!

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Unfortunately there is not much you can do if people don't want to restrain their dogs. If it's that bad, I would not go on walks with her. You can control your dog, but you cannot control other people's dogs. I would not feel comfortable having a big dog following us either. If she does not like dogs smelling her she is going to bark to make them go away. In a certain way you are lucky that she does not get aggressive when they not leave her alone.

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
I lived in Oreokastro over 30 years ago and I know what you mean about dogs running loose all the time... I don't know if it's the laid back attitude or what?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts