Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Phoebe is back not eating again, and no wonder. More teeth!
There are two big molar looking things still stuck in her mouth. They are on the inside of her upper row of teeth and almost look like they are poking in the roof of her mouth
I can wiggle the one and she is loving chewing my finger while I put it in there to check

Has anyone tried anbesol, and would a small amount be ok to rub on her gums around these teeth? Her spay appt isnt until the 13th when they will remove the rest of these. I have frozen her toys and am giving her frozen green beans, but I can't think of anything else to ease up some of her discomfort. I would think this has to be painful. Bf said she was acting kinda sluggish today, my poor lil peanut

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
So sorry to hear about Pheobe's teeth! I've never tried the anbesol, but maybe someone else will know if it's okay for dogs. Is she eating kibble or canned food? Maybe if she's eating kibble you could add some warm water to soften it up for her. Give her a big hug for me!!! Peanut had the worst time teething, his entire face was covered with tear stains, and within a couple of days after his teeth were pulled, he was like a new man! I hope Pheobe feels better soon!!!

Oh yea, Peanut also loves to chew on crushed ice pieces. I don't know if Pheobe would like that with the loose teeth, but Peanut seemed to like the ice.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Originally posted by Holliberry@May 2 2005, 06:48 PM
Phoebe is back not eating again, and no wonder.  More teeth! 
  There are two big molar looking things still stuck in her mouth.  They are on the inside of her upper row of teeth and almost look like they are poking in the roof of her mouth
I can wiggle the one and she is loving chewing my finger while I put it in there to check 

Has anyone tried anbesol, and would a small amount be ok to rub on her gums around these teeth? Her spay appt isnt until the 13th when they will remove the rest of these.  I have frozen her toys and am giving her frozen green beans, but I can't think of anything else to ease up some of her discomfort.  I would think this has to be painful.  Bf said she was acting kinda sluggish today, my poor lil peanut

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=59112
[/QUOTE]

Poor Phoebe!!! I don't have any advices, sorry. I just hope this stage will pass quickly for her.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
do u know the active ingredient? if u do i can look it up in my drug handbook.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
i see some web sites that say it could be used...but i also see some that say it can cause heinz body anemia like a dog eating onions or acetaminophen. so i recommend that you dont use it. i guess soften her food, and give her lots to chew on. good luck.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh wow thanks for checking that for me! no anbesol. ICE yes she loves ice
good idea. She will eat if I hand feed her her dry food. I am going to try softening it again too, now that I know what is going on. Her wet under eyes is back, so I know its another round of this. She had been dry for a bit now but this just kicked back in. Cant wait until she feels better. I'm so glad to hear how fast Peanut perked up! Thanks guys!

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Originally posted by Holliberry@May 2 2005, 10:29 PM
Does anyone worry about them choking on ice?  Phoebe's daddy gives her ice.  Any time she knows he is at the fridge, she is right at his feet (thats the only time shes away from mine
).  I always worry a little that a piece could slide down her throat.  Just a worry wart

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=59124
[/QUOTE]
I just give him the really small crushed ice bits. I'm paranoid too
I don't give him the whole cube because I get scared when it gets to that in-betwen size where it's small enough to fit in his mouth and big enough to choke him. People make fun of me for being so paranoid and over protective all the time

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Oh, and Peanut always had terrible eye stains but during teething he would leave puddles of tears on my pillow. Most of his tearing and stains cleared up after his teeth were taken care of. Just a little while longer before Pheobe feels better!!!! :D

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Maybe she'll eat soft food? If you feed her kibble, add warm water to eat to soften it up. I hope she has plenty of toys to chew on. Good Luck.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
We are still going through teething in our house too! The tooth fairy just came yesterday, with one of her canines falling out...two down, two to go.

I have to say that your avatar, Holliberry, is absolutely beautiful. She is so cute!

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Softening her food worked again, she ate it all last night. That Artemis is like concrete though! Jee - it takes forever to absorb water. I hope that doesnt mean anything bad.

Originally posted by saltymalty@May 3 2005, 09:26 AM
We are still going through teething in our house too!  The tooth fairy just came yesterday, with one of her canines falling out...two down, two to go.

I have to say that your avatar, Holliberry, is absolutely beautiful.  She is so cute!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=59200
[/QUOTE]

Thanks so much! Valletta is looking gorgeous herself all grown up! Doesnt time fly
The tooth fairy found 2 little teeth on the carpet at my house, but none of the bigger ones so far. She left a greenie under her pillow

Cant wait until they are all gone. I have a feeling we might be lucky on staining since things really took a nice break until this teeth moving around again thing. Keeping fingers crossed on that. Can't believe Peanut had tear puddles! Imagine the pain to cause all that eye watering

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
If she is still having trouble eating try giving her baby food. Paris had nine teeth pulled last Thursday and the vet said to give her baby food for a few days. She loved the sweet potatoes and chicken.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts