Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Maltese will be 2 in March. She is loosing the pigmentation in her nose! Her nose used to be pure black. I've notice in the last couple of months it's starting to turn kind of pink! Has anyone heard of this? My vet said sometimes dogs lose their pigmentation :?:

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
I'm not positive but I believe lack of sunshine has something to do with this, at least a little, I'll have to see if I can remember where I read that, Sampsons nose does seem to stay darker in the summer when he is outdoors more.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nose.

I joined this forum because of this exact question! I noticed the exact thing on my Shorty's nose. If I find any information on it, I will let you know.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Re: Nose.

I joined this forum because of this exact question! I noticed the exact thing on my Shorty's nose. If I find any information on it, I will let you know.[/B]
It is from lack of sun. Bentley's nose lightens up in the winter but returns to a nice dark color in the spring and summer. I noticed that my sister-in-laws blonde cocker does the same thing.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Found this on another site:

" This sometimes occurs in Maltese dogs that have less natural pigmentation and is often called "winter nose." Since skin's response to sunlight is to produce more pigment, Maltese dogs with "winter nose" will typically regain some pigmentation in the summertime when they get more exposure to the sun. Some breeders have had good luck enhancing pigmentation by giving their dogs "SeaTone," which is basically a kelp food supplement. "

(from: http://www.kellyco.com/maltese/maltese-faq-ii.shtml)

·
Registered
382 Posts
Found this on another site:

" This sometimes occurs in Maltese dogs that have less natural pigmentation and is often called "winter nose." Since skin's response to sunlight is to produce more pigment, Maltese dogs with "winter nose" will typically regain some pigmentation in the summertime when they get more exposure to the sun. Some breeders have had good luck enhancing pigmentation by giving their dogs "SeaTone," which is basically a kelp food supplement. "

(from:http://www.kellyco.com/maltese/maltese-faq-ii.shtml)[/B]
Neat little site! I love Tiki's avatar, very cute!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts