Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Membership Suspended
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Four years ago a friend of a friend's little Yorkie wandered away from an open garage door. He had his collar on and all pertinent information. A ton of posters were put up, and one was placed on EVERY door, and laundry room in the apartment complex next to her housing area. Some were being torn down as fast as they were placed. Hmm? Any ways, no call, nothing! It was like little Sam just didn't exist. Well fast forward to 2 weeks ago - Late in the evening the friend of the friend gets a phone call from a 24 hr vet, saying they have a dog with a microchip with the phone number they called. She went to pick him up - he was nothing like he was the day he wandered off - completely matted, nails so overgrown they turned under, and very much underweight - but it was Sam! Four years later. The vet said someone dropped him off and had found him in the area of that apt complex! BTW, the collar was not on him!

Sam received an emergency grooming, had to have ALL his teeth extracted because they were all loose, had cysts/tumors removed , and presently is glued to his Mommy's side!

So four years later we have a happy ending to a lost fluff in Las Vegas. Microchips work.:chili::chili:

UPDATE:

I saw Sam this afternoon. He is very thin, but still very sweet. Because he had to be clipped very short he was sporting a red sweater to keep him warm. According to his Mom he doesn't seem to have any behavior issues - other then he now begs for food - due to his 4 year hiatus. He remembered the doggy door too. Happy to be home next to his Mom. :wub:

·
Premium Member
13,418 Posts
Oh my goodness, how wonderful! the poor thing and what he's been thru but to be back at home it's just amazing.

yes thankfully he was chipped! and it's a good idea to have the vet scan it occassionally to make sure they can read it. we've mentioned that before.

·
Registered
7,034 Posts
Wow, what a story. Too bad the fluff can't tell us of all he has been through, but happily, he found his way home.

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
What a story. It makes my heart skip a beat - I would just die, if my fluffs were ever lost -

Death is devastating. But not knowing if my fluffs were alive or not - if they were cold or hungry, injured or harmed - it would KILL me.

A wonderful ending.

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
We had a similar situation at our shelter w/ a beagle. She was a cherish spoiled,plump, family pet,she got loose and they came in every week for a year and nothing. We'd call when beagles came in,not Molly. One day we got one in,a surrender,some guy claimed he found her a year ago and tried to get her to hunt and she wouldn't so he brought her to the shelter to get rid of her. Sad to think that's all he wanted her for. They looked at her,she was so thin and beaten,she hardly looked like the picture we had,but when they called her Molly,she kinda froze they repeated her name a couple more times and it was like she awoke from a dream. It was her.
No micro chip,this was almost 15 years ago. I would absolutely endorse micro chips. Even if she had been chipped it would have probably been the same other than we would have found out a day earlier if we had scanning equiptment then.

Never give up hope.

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
:smcry::smcry: Oh that poor little Yorkie. I can't even imagine what he went through. Just a miracle to be found but all those health issues from it. I'm so glad he's finally home and safe. Same with Michelle's story. Wow -- got to go and hug Tyler right now.

·
Premium Member
4,225 Posts
:chili::chili::chili: Glad he found his way home. Glad the vet did a microchip check.

·
Premium Member
8,623 Posts
Wow Marsha!! That's amazing! Four years! I can't help but wonder what he went through for those 4 years. Bless his heart, he has a happy ending being back home.

I get an E dog magazine and there was just an article about a Lhasa that was gone for 4 years and was reunited with her family by facebook. I'll have to see if I still have that article.

·
Premium Member
24,173 Posts
wow Marsha that brought tears to my eyes, I don't even want to think what that baby went through. All I can say is Thank you Lord, what a wonderful ending to a terrible story

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
I HAVE GOT CHILLS DOWN MY SPINE!!!

What a wonderful ending to a sad story. I am so appalled by the person who neglected him so. They may have stole him, didn't take care of him and when he got sick dumped him. WHY do people become so cruel???:blink: I am heartbroken he was treated so badly, but happy that he is reunited with his mama. :wub: Thanks for sharing.

·
Membership Suspended
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When he was last seen in the garage he was wearing a purple collar with two ID tags and 4 phone numbers - when he was brought to the vet the collar was not on him. We think he was held in one of those apartments next door. I forgot to mention in the original post the hair on his pads was at least 2" long. I'll be seeing him on Turkey Day. He was a sweet little guy before, I wonder how this has affected him. :unsure:

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Oh my...I hope you update us on him. Four years, gosh..who knows.

When he was last seen in the garage he was wearing a purple collar with two ID tags and 4 phone numbers - when he was brought to the vet the collar was not on him. We think he was held in one of those apartments next door. I forgot to mention in the original post the hair on his pads was at least 2" long. I'll be seeing him on Turkey Day. He was a sweet little guy before, I wonder how this has affected him. :unsure:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts