·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was a pretty crummy day. I was told that there will be
no teaching position available for me in the fall. Two of my
closest friends on the teaching staff were also laid off. Nine
teachers in all will be laid off from our very small district. Since
this is my first year in the district, I am non-tenured and was cut.

I am hoping that I find another job during the summer, but with
all of the cuts being made in education, I really doubt that I will.

The only good thing is that I'll be able to spend more time with
my boys :wub: and thank God for them... I really believe that
without them I would be lost.

Thanks for listening to me vent...

Debbie

·
Registered
863 Posts
I am SO sorry! This world seems so screwed up sometimes. Education is where we should be spending more of our money not less! I hope you find something soon and I know your pups will be a great support.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I'm so sorry. I teach, and until I got tenure (many years ago), I was always stressed out around this time of year. Things will work out for you.

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Oh, Debbie. I'm so sorry.:smcry: I know this has been looming over you since we went to Westminster, not knowing if you'd be cut or not, but fearing it. This is one of these cases where your talent doesn't matter...it's a matter of budget and seniority. I know you'll be missed. I'm hoping that as a special ed teacher you'll still be able to get a spot somewhere. Any chance of tutoring in the meantime? As you said, now you'll have more time with the boys. You took such great care of Harry lately that he'd like some more, please. Good luck and hope to see you if you get into the city. :hugging:

·
Premium Member
4,225 Posts
:grouphug: Sorry. I hope you have luck finding something soon. :grouphug:

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Debbie I'm glad you are able to look on the brighter side of things (spending time with the boys, etc.) Since you are a teacher, have you thought about putting in your CV with tutoring places like Sylvan Learning Center or any online services? There is a company in UK that teaches people languages over Skype. Do you speak a second language? A quick google on my part found there are many different tutoring services offered with the help of Skype. Perhaps you can start your own business? I hope this opens many doors for you. Of course, my prayers are for you to find happiness and success. God bless!

·
Premium Member
10,319 Posts
I am so sorry to hear this......I read in the paper last week that the Charlotte NC School System were cutting 500 jobs in that county. It seems that to save money, it is human jobs they go for first. I hope that something comes out of this......ban together with the teachers that were layed off and start tutoring and advertise. Good luck to you!!!

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
Debbie, I'm so sorry, I remember when I saw you at the last show we were in you were worried this would happen. I wish the best for you. I had lost my job of 30 years about 8 years ago.....it's hard, but it is do-able...I wish you all the luck you need. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
I am so sorry to hear it. People like you are the last thing that should ever be cut, we need people like you more not less.
I wish you all the best. :grouphug:

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
I am so ashamed of the way we treat our teachers! How can we expect to remain a powerful country if we don't focus on education. Have you considered pirvate schools? My daughter is working for a private school. The money is less, but they do have a lot of resources for the kids.

·
Registered
17,036 Posts
I am sorry to hear that you lost your job. I agree with the others, tutoring, especially private tutoring might pay off.

·
Premium Member
3,223 Posts
Oh so sorry. :( I know you had said that you faced this, but I really hoped it would not come to that. We have furloughs at the college this year and I am grateful for them since no one has to be laid off. :prayer:

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about this. It also really makes me extremely sad not only for you..but for your students because that is the one area of funding that should not be cut!!! That's the fast track for a country to not be an innovator and a forerunner...is to cut education. geez.

·
Premium Member
24,173 Posts
Debbie, I'm so sorry, my son inlaw and my daughter have both lost their jobs also. These are scarey times. I hope you are able to find another job. HUGs

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
Debbie, I am so sorry. I know what a horrible crummy feeling that is. I am losing my job on June 16. I've known for about 2 months but I still cry over it almost every day. So I'm not going to tell you it'll get better, it won't til you find a new job.

It's a scary world we live in these days when teachers and nurses (I'm a nurse) are out of work. I hope to work Per diem for my Hospital til a position opens, I hope you find something soon.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts