Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 5-month old puppy from a top breeder has a LOT of tan in her coat. (Both parents were snow white champions.) Her ears are completely tan (on the darker side) and there are tan patches all the way down her back and tail as well as some on her sides. My friend called her a "Burberry." I didn't notice the tan until recently (I got her at 4 months). I saw a little tan with her longer coat, but noticed it much more after I clipped her down. The roots don't seem to be growing in any lighter. I was told by an expert breeder that the tan could lighten, or that it could possibly darken. It gives her a very scruffy appearance (with bad eye stain to boot!). I was wondering if anyone has experience in this? Has anyone see it lighten or go away, or darken? I'll attach a picture. Thank you!

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
I think she looks beautiful just the way she is. As for the tear stains, that won't go away until she's done teething.

·
Super Moderator
10,133 Posts
You've already posted about this previously and received a lot of reassurance that this is perfectly normal for the breed. Is there a specific concern you have about the bit of tan your pup has?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, did you see the photos? There seems to more tan every day. There are large spots (bigger than a quarter) completely down her back and tail (tail is almost completely tan) and a few even bigger patches on her sides. In addition the ears are completely tan (not just little tinges). The roots are not growing in lighter (so far). A top Maltese breeder told me (from the photos) that she indeed had a lot of tan and that it could get lighter over time (that would be great!) but also that it could get darker (alas!). She also said that since the tan is coming in at 5 months, she would probably never have a really white coat.I t would be hard for me to be happy with Maltese that was so tan (a few little spots and a little tint on the ears would be okay). She is essentially a white and tan dog. My friend called her a "Burberry." When you say it is normal for the breed, do you mean that it will eventually fade? Or it is normal to have so much tan (about 1/6 of the coat). This is my fourth Maltese - none had any tan - except a little on the ears, which did fade. She is spunky, headstrong, fun and smart. She's 4.5 pounds at 5 months. I paid almost $3000 for her. I even had a dream that she grew a thick, silky white coat. I don't know what to do. I wish I didn't care about this, but I do. The breeder said she would take her back, although, understandably, she is not happy about it and would never sell me another one. I would have to do it ASAP. Any advice? I am so torn. The silky white coat and black points is why I love the Maltese. I know that dogs are hard to get in this period also. And, of course, she is sweet and we have bonded. I give her great care; she loves me and is happy. Am I being unreasonable? Am I being impatient?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's not a bit of tan. The picture doesn't show how it goes all the way down the coat. I'll post another one. Do you think it will fade? It looks so scruffy and messy. :cry:
Coat 2.jpg

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
Yes, did you see the photos? There seems to more tan every day. There are large spots (bigger than a quarter) completely down her back and tail (tail is almost completely tan) and a few even bigger patches on her sides. In addition the ears are completely tan (not just little tinges). The roots are not growing in lighter (so far). A top Maltese breeder told me (from the photos) that she indeed had a lot of tan and that it could get lighter over time (that would be great!) but also that it could get darker (alas!). She also said that since the tan is coming in at 5 months, she would probably never have a really white coat.I t would be hard for me to be happy with Maltese that was so tan (a few little spots and a little tint on the ears would be okay). She is essentially a white and tan dog. My friend called her a "Burberry." When you say it is normal for the breed, do you mean that it will eventually fade? Or it is normal to have so much tan (about 1/6 of the coat). This is my fourth Maltese - none had any tan - except a little on the ears, which did fade. She is spunky, headstrong, fun and smart. She's 4.5 pounds at 5 months. I paid almost $3000 for her. I even had a dream that she grew a thick, silky white coat. I don't know what to do. I wish I didn't care about this, but I do. The breeder said she would take her back, although, understandably, she is not happy about it and would never sell me another one. I would have to do it ASAP. Any advice? I am so torn. The silky white coat and black points is why I love the Maltese. I know that dogs are hard to get in this period also. And, of course, she is sweet and we have bonded. I give her great care; she loves me and is happy. Am I being unreasonable? Am I being impatient?
Wow, I'm sorry to sound rude but this really bothers me. You should love your dog for who the dog is, not what she looks like. The tan colour in her coat is not going to affect how sweet and loving and loyal she is. I personally could never take a dog back to the breeder just because her coat isn't as white as I dreamed of if I had already fallen in love with her which you say you have. This just makes me sad. Once again I apologize for sounding rude but this makes me sad. You were already complaining earlier about her being too active because she's a puppy. Maybe as I said in your last post, you should consider an older calmer dog and then you will know for sure what it's going to look like. She really is beautiful just the way she is. Maybe it's just these stressful times getting to all of us?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't find your post rude, just honest, and I appreciate it. I'm okay with her level of activity and, of course, she's calmed down. It's the scruffy appearance that is hard for me. All my dogs were different in personality (some from top breeders and one from a pet store!), but all were essentially white). I know that many, many people don't care about that. But unfortunately I am one who does. I wish it were not so. That is why I am reaching out for advice.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
That is a LOT of tan, for sure! While I 100% hear where Kathy's coming from, I also think you didn't get what you were expecting and it's reasonable to want to return her because it's something you can't accept. I would return her ASAP. Who cares what the breeder thinks. You can find another one to work with--California has several good breeders--or you can one from another state. But this sounds like something you can't happily live with. Another family will be able to. She's young and can easily bond with another person or family. You'll get one that you're happier with. Honestly, looking at this puppy, I'm shocked she is from a show breeder. I would happily rescue a little cutie like her from the shelter, but I'd be angry if I paid almost $3,000 for a dog that is so far off of the Maltese standard. Hope this helps :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you, it helps greatly. I, too, am shocked that the dog is that far from the standard. I think the breeder was even shocked after seeing the pictures. It's nobody's fault, but I think there could be a win-win solution. I know she could be loved 100% for what she is while I could find something closer to my ideal. After all, it is a companion of so many years. Still, it is hard to bring myself to do it as we have grown so fond of each other. Is there any chance the tan will fade?

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
I don't find your post rude, just honest, and I appreciate it. I'm okay with her level of activity and, of course, she's calmed down. It's the scruffy appearance that is hard for me. All my dogs were different in personality (some from top breeders and one from a pet store!), but all were essentially white). I know that many, many people don't care about that. But unfortunately I am one who does. I wish it were not so. That is why I am reaching out for advice.
Maybe she won't look so scruffy once her coat grows more. Could it be scruffy looking just because it's short and not one length and maybe you're used to longer hair ?

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
I think her coat texture may change in adulthood, but I'm not sure about that tan. I've seen adult Maltese with tan in their coats, so it could stay.

·
Super Moderator
10,133 Posts
If you are unwilling or unable to love this puppy and give her the life she deserves, contact the breeder to see what your options are. And I’m 100% with Kathy - health and personality should be the biggest concerns for a pet owner. Please let this puppy have a home with the love she deserves.

·
Premium Member
17,311 Posts
I am going out on a limb her---I agree on both sides. I think Elizabeth is giving you good advice. Return the sweet puppy & hopefully you can find one as sweet as she is, but you can most definitely find one that is more white. It would be unfair to the puppy to keep her. I don't think anyone can honestly tell you the spots will go---they may, or they may not. You are obviously very concerned about them, so move quickly if you are going to re-home her or give her back to the breeder. We all have to live w/ourselves as we are, but be fair to the pup.

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
Maybe because you're grieving your Sugar it was just too soon to get another dog and that's why the colour is bothering you so much. Maybe your heart needs more time to heal. 💔

·
Registered
28 Posts
You purchased a Maltese for a specific look that is attractive to you and obviously important. Return her and do not second guess yourself. Do it now. You need a specific look for your pet and you paid to get it. This puppy will find a good home and you will find your dream puppy. I just brought mine home. After birth she had bad winternose in her pics. It bothered me. When I went to meet her it had been corrected with sun exposure. She is perfect, square body, deep coat, big black eyes, dark button nose. Her appearance is important to me. Yes I am bonding with her but had there been obvious flaws I would have refused her. Evidently your puppy developed this darker coat as she grew. You would not be soliciting opinions if you were happy. Make yourself happy. Fault lies with the breeder and the line somewhere not with you. avoid being unhappy for years and being ambivalent about her. Clean break now. No guilt trips on yourself . Just do it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My current Maltese had a small amount of tan when I first saw her as a puppy at the breeder's house. The breeder told me the tan would go away. She also told me the tear stains would go away.
Well, they did not go away. My Zita is 13 months old now, has light tan ears, a tan spot on her back, and tear stains that require quite a regimen 2-3 times every day. I adore my Zita, stains and all, and I could never take her back to the breeder, but I expected a cleaner look for the $3500 I paid.
You should assume the tan will remain, and do whatever you need to do, in the best interest of the puppy.

·
Premium Member
17,311 Posts
I agree---in the best intrest of the puppy---as Kayanne said. She can't help how she is & neither can you. Someone else could give her a very good life, if you feel you need to return her.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts