Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Awesome! Those are some great sites! I liked the Kraft's South Beach website, they had a sample menu and everything sounded really tasty and easy to make too.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by nataliecmu@Nov 4 2004, 03:30 PM
YUM!!! There is a fat free 7 layer Mexican dip I think I may make this weekend!! It sounds so yummy and it will be like 1 point on W.W!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=14895
[/QUOTE]

I don't like the seven layer dip b/c I don't do olives and stuff...but here is a recipe that I use that is yummy and 1-2 points depending on how much you eat...(not counting the chips of course)

9x13 pan (layer all the following ingredients)
fat free beans-2 cans-refried mixed with one package of taco seasoning
large tub of fat free sour cream mixed with 1 packet of powdered ranch dressing
2 cans mexican style rotel tomatoes (drained well)
1 package fat free shredded cheese

You can also cut up some of those long onions...with the green tops...to sprinkle on the top...

Yummy! And a big hit at add-a-dish events!!!

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn+Nov 4 2004, 04:34 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-nataliecmu
@Nov 4 2004, 03:30 PM
YUM!!! There is a fat free 7 layer Mexican dip I think I may make this weekend!! It sounds so yummy and it will be like 1 point on W.W!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=14895

I don't like the seven layer dip b/c I don't do olives and stuff...but here is a recipe that I use that is yummy and 1-2 points depending on how much you eat...(not counting the chips of course)

9x13 pan (layer all the following ingredients)
fat free beans-2 cans-refried mixed with one package of taco seasoning
large tub of fat free sour cream mixed with 1 packet of powdered ranch dressing
2 cans mexican style rotel tomatoes (drained well)
1 package fat free shredded cheese

You can also cut up some of those long onions...with the green tops...to sprinkle on the top...

Yummy! And a big hit at add-a-dish events!!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=14910
[/B][/QUOTE]

Yum! That sounds good too! Thank you!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Truly Low Carb Cheese Crisps

Popular for years, these are hardly original, but they are a MUST in any low carber’s repertoire.

1/3 cup semi-hard shredded cheese, such as Cheddar, Colby, Swiss, etc.

Do not attempt to use very soft cheeses such as Feta, Mozzarella, Brie, etc.

Heat a non-stick pan over medium high heat. Sprinkle sliced or finely shredded cheese in a thin layer over the bottom of the entire pan. Okay, are you ready? Here's the big secret: Leave it alone for several minutes! First it will bubble up all over, then start to look almost lacey (with lots of holes in it); finally you will see clear grease start to run off. When it is lightly golden brown, start carefully teasing up the edges until you can pick it up and turn it over. The second side will cook very quickly in comparison to the first. Drain on clean toweling. Shape into forms or cut into desired shapes before it cools too much. To form a bowl, simply lay over an overturned bowl and gently push the sides down to shape them. Don’t burn yourself!

Per each, made with Mild Cheddar:
120 calories, 10 grams fat (6 grams saturated), 1 gram carbohydrate, 7 grams protein

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Nov 4 2004, 04:41 PM
I've seen a lot of recipes for dips that sound good but my problem is that I can't have chips because I'm on a low carb diet. 
  I LOVE nachos!

I found a couple more sites:
- Carb Health
- Low Carb Cutters
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=14912
[/QUOTE]

The very reason I could not stay on that diet!!! I love my carbs!!!!!!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It has not been as hard as I thought. I went out to eat over the weekend and got fries with my meal (I know not low cab
). I ended up splitting them with my mom. She got veggies with her meal and I shared those. I've been eating a lot of low carb wraps.

I will confess though, I went to a movie Saturday night and had to get popcorn. You can't go to a movie and not have popcorn. My mom (who is also on the diet), grandma, and I split a large popcorn. My mom started the South Beach Diet in June and has lost 20 some pounds since then. She went from a size 10/12 to a 4/6.

The diet is not NO carb, it is LOW carb. You just have to watch how many carbs you have. You don't have to actually count them. If you really want something you can have a small amount, but just watch the other stuff (did that make sense). What my mom does is have a hamburger without a bun and then allows herself a couple of fries (like half a small fries).

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Well-good luck...I am proud of you and your mom!

I am sticking to the WW...more of life decision for me...the carbs are still counted b/c the more carbs=more points...so I still have to watch it...

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks! So far I'm only been on it 2 1/2 weeks. I had lost 13.5 lbs. But I gain 1.5lbs this week (shouldn't have cheated over the weekend
). I've noticed that I have more of a waist. I just bought a bunch of new clothes back in Sept and the pants are all getting baggie in the waist and butt. That's good but bad because that means I have to by new clothes. My mom has saved all of her 10/12s so hopefully I will lose enough and be able to get into those. That would save a lot of money. She dresses like she is in her 20s.

I've been wanting to get some low carb breakfast bars. Can anyone suggest some that are good? Or those I should avoid (aka taste like crap
)?

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Nov 4 2004, 04:27 PM
Thanks! So far I'm only been on it 2 1/2 weeks.  I had lost 13.5 lbs.  But I gain 1.5lbs this week (shouldn't have cheated over the weekend
).  I've noticed that I have more of a waist.  I just bought a bunch of new clothes back in Sept and the pants are all getting baggie in the waist and butt.  That's good but bad because that means I have to by new clothes.  My mom has saved all of her 10/12s so hopefully I will lose enough and be able to get into those.  That would save a lot of money.  She dresses like she is in her 20s.

I've been wanting to get some low carb breakfast bars.  Can anyone suggest some that are good?  Or those I should avoid (aka taste like crap
)?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=14922
[/QUOTE]

Congratulations Lexi's Mom, that is great!!
Sounds like you are working really hard at it...way to go!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a really good motivation ( <_< ) my brother is getting married next June and I'm in the wedding. I have to order my bridesmaid dressing by Jan 1. So I'm trying to loss as much as possible. Very good motivater. Plus the diet is not as hard as I thought it would be. The first week was hard but I was ready for it.

I'm shocked that I still haven't had any pop. I was such a big pop drinker. I haven't had any pop in 18 days and I don't even miss it. All I've been drinking is water and Crystal Light Lemonade.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Thats awesome! You are definantly doin a good job. :D My husband lost weight before our wedding, he started in may and lost 45lbs by Dec. and we got married in June. He continued to eat the same but never lost anymore after Dec. He quit drinking regular pop and started eating a lot of salad (lettuce is a negative calorie food, u burn more cals digesting it than what u take in from eating it.)

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Way to go, Lexi's Mom!

I lost 7 lbs of the 17 I want to lose and am at a standstill because I went to a higher level of carbs. I occasionally eat sugar and flour but much, much less than before I did Atkins.

Anyway, I like the Atkins Chocolate Peanut Butter low carb bar. I slice it in thin slices and snack on it piece by piece. It makes a good lunch replacement if I am unable to bring lunch from home because I will be out of the office all day and is pretty filling if eaten slowly the way I do. I love it with iced green tea w/mango!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Nov 4 2004, 05:27 PM
Thanks! So far I'm only been on it 2 1/2 weeks.  I had lost 13.5 lbs.  But I gain 1.5lbs this week (shouldn't have cheated over the weekend
).  I've noticed that I have more of a waist.  I just bought a bunch of new clothes back in Sept and the pants are all getting baggie in the waist and butt.  That's good but bad because that means I have to by new clothes.  My mom has saved all of her 10/12s so hopefully I will lose enough and be able to get into those.  That would save a lot of money.  She dresses like she is in her 20s.

I've been wanting to get some low carb breakfast bars.  Can anyone suggest some that are good?  Or those I should avoid (aka taste like crap
)?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=14922
[/QUOTE]

I LOVE the Atkins Apple Cobbler Bars!!!!!!!!
They are my absolute favorite...pricey...but good!!!!
For the WW people, they are only 3 points!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I made the best dessert last night. It was so good!

South Beach Peanut Butter Cup
Provided by: The South Beach Diet - Online
"Created by South Beach Diet Online members, this tastes just like the real thing!"  Original recipe yield: 1 serving.
INGREDIENTS:
• 1 no sugar added fudgsicle
• 2 tablespoons peanut butter
• 2 tablespoons light frozen whipped topping or whipping cream

DIRECTIONS:
Take a no sugar added fudgsicle and scrape it off the stick (microwaving it for about 15 seconds helps). Then add 1-2 tablespoons of peanut butter and 1-2 tablespoons of light frozen whipped topping or whipping cream. Mix together and enjoy.[/B]

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks, tlunn & Pico's Parent! I'll have to go to the store this weekend and check them out.

Caesar's Mommie: I've been eating a lot of salads lately. I really like Kraft's Carbwell dressings. What is funny is that I used to HATE salads. As a kid you could pay me to get a salad.
It's funny how much we change as we get older.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i just want to tell everyone to be careful with crystal light or any other food that has a sugar substitute

when i was in highschool, my sister went on a diet so we had crystal light. that was all i would drink and after around 6 months or so, i started getting really bad leg cramps. and i didnt know why. and then after a year, i would sit for 5 minutes, get leg cramps and i'd have to walk around. it was soo painful.

it turned out it was because of the crystal light. i started drinking gatorade and it took around 3-4 months to get better. it sucked when we had to drive somewhere...i was stuck in the car and i'd have to deal with these stabbing pains in my legs for 30 minutes longer, you know?

anyway, be careful

1 - 20 of 26 Posts