Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

21 - 40 of 326 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks everyone, I just spoke to the vet. They have no idea what is wrong. He is a little wobbly when he walks on certain steps, he is drooling and lethargic. As I said he hid from me, and that is odd. Not in any pain, no bloating, no blood poisoning, his white cell count and red cells look normal, xrays normal, temp normal. Nothing in the blood tests show anything significantly out of order. His sugar is slightly elevated, pee is normal, however. Liver enzymes are slightly elevated (ALT), but not extremely high and other liver enzymes are normal. But he is stressed and he just ate, so that can account for some of it. Vet agrees something is wrong, but they do not know what. Based on blood work and xrays, nothing is alarming. They are keeping him overnight and rerunning tests tomorrow morning.

Anything malt specific you all can think of. It is going to be hard to sleep tonight.

·
Super Moderator
9,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I should have also mentioned my house is air-conditioned, so I would be surprised if it was the heat.

·
Super Moderator
10,149 Posts
Oh Walter, I'm so sorry Lucky is going through this. Praying he is better in the morning.

·
Premium Member
6,772 Posts
I am so sorry to read this. I do hope they are able to diagnose what the issue is. but it sounds like they ruled out so many things. Hang in there!! everyone is sending you their prayers and thoughts of support, as am I.

·
Premium Member
10,177 Posts
Thanks everyone, I just spoke to the vet. They have no idea what is wrong. He is a little wobbly when he walks on certain steps, he is drooling and lethargic. As I said he hid from me, and that is odd. Not in any pain, no bloating, no blood poisoning, his white cell count and red cells look normal, xrays normal, temp normal. Nothing in the blood tests show anything significantly out of order. His sugar is slightly elevated, pee is normal, however. Liver enzymes are slightly elevated (ALT), but not extremely high and other liver enzymes are normal. But he is stressed and he just ate, so that can account for some of it. Vet agrees something is wrong, but they do not know what. Based on blood work and xrays, nothing is alarming. They are keeping him overnight and rerunning tests tomorrow morning.

Anything malt specific you all can think of. It is going to be hard to sleep tonight.
Walter, I am so sorry you don't have any kind of diagnosis yet. Lucky will be monitored throughout the night, right?

Can you check with the vet later to find out how he is doing?

My prayers continue for your precious Lucky. I'll be checking in for updates and to see if anyone else here has any ideas what may be going on with Lucky.

·
Premium Member
24,143 Posts
oh Walter, I know it's so stressful, you did the right thing, Lucky is in the best place for now, I will keep praying for you and Lucky, try and get some sleep that little Lucky needs you well.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Walter sending you prayers for peace and healing for lucky, and strength for you till the morning.

·
Premium Member
24,011 Posts
Walter - just checking back before I go to bed. Can't figure out what it could be. Don't think he ate anything that he got on the floor right? Like grapes or raisins? Could he have gotten stung or bitten and you might not have seen or felt it? Might not be a bad idea for them to run a tick borne disease test as Sandi has often suggested when they're sick. So many have said that they've brought ticks in the house on their clothes or shoes without knowing. Might be worth checking. Will be thinking of both of you tonight and praying they can figure it out. Sending lots of virtual hugs your way. Try to get some rest...for Lucky. We're here for you. :hugging:

·
Super Moderator
9,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Latest is that he is being closely monitored overnight. His vitals, temp, etc. are all normal. I need to call them 11:30 sun morning.

I miss him so much, obviously can not sleep. Since my mother's passing in Nov., I rely on Luck so much, I am just so attached to that little guy. We went through my medications to see if any could have this affect on him - none.

The only different thing is that he got basic instinct duck this week. But he is not seeming to has any gastric issues and is eating.

·
Super Moderator
9,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Walter - just checking back before I go to bed. Can't figure out what it could be. Don't think he ate anything that he got on the floor right? Like grapes or raisins? Could he have gotten stung or bitten and you might not have seen or felt it? Might not be a bad idea for them to run a tick borne disease test as Sandi has often suggested when they're sick. So many have said that they've brought ticks in the house on their clothes or shoes without knowing. Might be worth checking. Will be thinking of both of you tonight and praying they can figure it out. Sending lots of virtual hugs your way. Try to get some rest...for Lucky. We're here for you. :hugging:
Thanks, he actually had his heartworm, lyme, etc. panel a week ago. He really is not an outside dog, so his exposure should be minimal. In addition Lyme is a big issue here, so the vet would have experience with it.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Haley drooled excessively when she had a allergic reaction to something that someone had sprayed near our deck at our campground. At the time I had no idea what caused it so we took her straight to the emergency vet since it happened on the weekend. Her blood counts were elevated though. Sorry this probably does not help you any but wanted to let you know Lucky is in my thoughts and prayers!
Also not sure if it was mentioned but did vet check his gums and teeth? I know pain from a tooth or injury to jaw can cause drooling.

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Ahhh so very sorry Lucky isn't feeling well! Though obviously 'something' is amiss.. with all the tests thus far that he's had and all normal, it seems the more serious things are not a big concern.
The lethargy and drooling seems maybe nausea is a possible. Sometimes this happens when they are 'emotionally' upset. Has there been any storms, fireworks, construction...any noises that might be upsetting him?

Will be keeping him in my prayers for a speedy recovery, and will check back later.

·
Premium Member
4,143 Posts
Walter, so sorry Lucky is problems. It sure sounds like an allergy or irritation in the mouth. Good that all the blood work is normal. Praying this is self limiting and that lucky is back to normal this morning.

·
Premium Member
17,394 Posts
Walter, not posting these days but wanted to add to have the ER vet check deep inside the nostrils & ears---really deep. Maybe Lucky got a foxtail & it traveled (very common--esp. this time of year). Wishing all the very best!

·
Super Moderator
9,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
No real change from last night. He slept some and he peed. Still lethargic. They are running more tests about 11 and I am supposed to call at 11:30. Mouth looks normal, gums and teeth healthy, he does not indicate pain when touched anywhere. Vet stymied. It is possible that he ate something, but where I have been home since Thursday. I do not have anything toxic in the house - I even clean with water and vinegar. Usually when I pack him up in his sling, it is a struggle and I have to count my fingers. When I packed him last night no issues, and he is not giving the vet any fight back. Normally, he would let people know that he doesn't what something to happen.

I will ask him to double check for allergens, and I will mention foxglove, but white blood count and platelets are not elevated. The only plants I have in my front yard are grass, petunias, day lilies, and peonies. He was not near my peony and it is not in bloom. Anything else is in front of the fence and he can not get near it.

The only other things I can think of is he took his heartworm pill last saturday, and I introduced some basic instinct into his food this week, duck formula.

THANKS everyone for support.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
No real change from last night. He slept some and he peed. Still lethargic. They are running more tests about 11 and I am supposed to call at 11:30. Mouth looks normal, gums and teeth healthy, he does not indicate pain when touched anywhere. Vet stymied. It is possible that he ate something, but where I have been home since Thursday. I do not have anything toxic in the house - I even clean with water and vinegar. Usually when I pack him up in his sling, it is a struggle and I have to count my fingers. When I packed him last night no issues, and he is not giving the vet any fight back. Normally, he would let people know that he doesn't what something to happen.

I will ask him to double check for allergens, and I will mention foxglove, but white blood count and platelets are not elevated. The only plants I have in my front yard are grass, petunias, day lilies, and peonies. He was not near my peony and it is not in bloom. Anything else is in front of the fence and he can not get near it.

The only other things I can think of is he took his heartworm pill last saturday, and I introduced some basic instinct into his food this week, duck formula.

THANKS everyone for support.
I'm sorry Lucky isn't feeling well. I hope he gets better real soon. I don't know about day lilies but I know that calla lilies and easter lilies are toxic. Maybe he got into the day lilies.

21 - 40 of 326 Posts