Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

41 - 60 of 326 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,622 Posts
Just now seeing this. I hope you get some good news this morning. I'll be saying prayers for both of you.

Since you gave the heartworm medicine last Saturday, not sure it would be related, however the side effects of heartworm medication do match Lucky's symtoms. Heartworm medicine can cause all kinds of reactions including excessive drooling and lethargy. My good friend's Australian Shepard died after being given the liquid form of Ivermectin for the first time. Here's an article listing some side effects. Although this article is about puppies, it holds true for dogs, too.

The Side Effects of Heartworm Medicine in Puppies | eHow

·
Super Moderator
9,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I'm sorry Lucky isn't feeling well. I hope he gets better real soon. I don't know about day lilies but I know that calla lilies and easter lilies are toxic. Maybe he got into the day lilies.
Not toxic to dogs or people. Toxic to cats. People sometimes use them for food decoration, day lillies are actually edible.

I am just going over and over anything out of the ordinary.

·
Premium Member
6,086 Posts
Walter, I agree that it could be a reaction to the heart worm medicine...or even a spider bite..the only other thing I can think of is his teeth...if there is an infection in a tooth, this could account for the rise in his ALT...I agree that doing a TBD panel is a good idea...hope this helps..:huh:

·
Super Moderator
9,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Just now seeing this. I hope you get some good news this morning. I'll be saying prayers for both of you.

Since you gave the heartworm medicine last Saturday, not sure it would be related, however the side effects of heartworm medication do match Lucky's symtoms. Heartworm medicine can cause all kinds of reactions including excessive drooling and lethargy. My good friend's Australian Shepard died after being given the liquid form of Ivermectin for the first time. Here's an article listing some side effects. Although this article is about puppies, it holds true for dogs, too.

The Side Effects of Heartworm Medicine in Puppies | eHow
Thanks I just let the vet tech know. It was the pill form of heartguard, taken on Sunday. Lucky had no immediate reaction to it, but any lead. Lucky is sleeping right now, but the tech tells me he ate a huge breakfast.

·
Super Moderator
9,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Walter-what tests are they doing thus am?
His sugar was 200 last night, his ALT was 215, They are doing a pre and post eating sugar test. Vet said readings elevated but not really a smoking gun.

I am still stressed, I won't be able to see him until this afternoon. He is comfortable and sleeping.

·
Premium Member
17,397 Posts
Walter, not foxglove---fox tails---big difference.
I think the new food or the heart worm meds sound like the best possible cause of upset! I don't know anything about that food!

·
Premium Member
5,642 Posts
Thanks! I know you are, try and concentrate on the positive, he ate and is resting comfortably. I'm holding on to he got something in his system and it will pass. Listen, I keep thinking of the one new thing he had and that is new food. Get the bag and see what's diff from his reg food. Any rosemary in the food? Just trying to think of anything helpful here.

·
Super Moderator
10,152 Posts
Checking in - I know how incredibly worried you are right now. Hopefully the fact that he ate a huge breakfast is a good sign. Paws crossed here that Lucky is back home, safe and healthy, soon!

·
Premium Member
5,642 Posts
After suggesting food, I remember a vet told me they usually have GI issues too if it's food related. Guess that was not a good suggestion.

·
Premium Member
17,397 Posts
Walter, took this off of Dog Food Advisory:

Special Alert
Rice ingredients can sometimes contain arsenic. Until the US FDA establishes safe upper levels for arsenic content, pet owners may wish to limit the total amount of rice fed in a dog's daily diet.

The other red flag was that this food has 32% protein (dry matter) & 20% fat---that, IMHO, is both too high for most maltese. What was the protein & fat content of the food before he started on this Duck formula Basic Instinct? Just trying to think through this w/you
edit: http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/natures-variety-instinct-lid/

·
Premium Member
5,642 Posts
That's what I keep wondering. The new food. Good post sandi. Can you post link to the rice article.

When I googled his symptoms seemed to lead to a toxin in the system.

·
Super Moderator
9,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
He is on natural balance grain free and freshpet. I gave him the basic instinct just to keep his food interests up. I would think food issues would cause decreased appetite, but last night he ate his kibble and wanted more He ate whatever thy gave him this morning. I wonder if the food was bad, it is frozen and I do not know how it was handled up to the store. I am also wondering if there is a link to his heartworm medication.

About once a month or so, Lucky goes through a restless night. Janene recommended keeping a diary to see what it could be. Could it coincide with his heart preventative. And could the previous episodes just be a mild version on this.

I hate the waiting game.

·
Super Moderator
9,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
No markers for pancreatic issues. But it is sounding like something he ingested.

·
Super Moderator
10,152 Posts
Keeping a diary is a great idea for the restlessness. I went through several months when I first got Tessa where both she and Sweetness had a variety of GI issues and other problems. By writing things down and using trial and error, I figured out that Tessa couldn't tolerate poultry and both girls reacted poorly to their Heartgard.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Walter just seen this. Oh I WIll be praying for a good outcome My Friend. Ill Be Back to check later today.
Iam so sorry you are going thru this. I Know its Hard my Friend. Be Strong.
Nickee In Pa****

·
Premium Member
17,397 Posts
Another thing to consider is whether or not Lucky might be sensitive to Rosemary extract---some dogs are----is it in any of the foods he has been getting?

·
Super Moderator
9,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
He has had rosemary before with no effects, but anything is possible.

As hard as this is on me, I keeping thinking how scared Lucky must be. He seemed a bit out of it last night, and has been sleeping, but he is not used to being separated from people he knows.

41 - 60 of 326 Posts