Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lucy lost a stitch - Lucy was spayed on Thursday, this morning when I was changing her oneies (sp) I notice that it was slightly red, and there were only three stitches, as apposed to four which she originally had.

My husband is one the way to Dr. B’s to get it checked. I make her a belly band out of gaze and that medical sticky type of tape.

Has this happened to anyone else? I asked, when I called the vet, if I should place a butterfly on the area - they said "no" - just bring her in (which I would have done regardless), but I am worried.

It’s the third stitch down from the top, which leads me to believe that little Lucy was busy in the night - even though I was up with her four times.

Good grief.

I guess that I’ll have to capitulate and use the soft cone, I hate to stress her out, but I cannot go through this for ten days.

Thank you for allowing me to rant away . . .

Allie

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
Oh Allie, I hope she is okay, and sure she is okay. I'm telling you the baby onesies, did miracles for me.

I had Mia and Leo done at the same time. And periodically would open up the snaps, roll it to their belly for potty. They got so used to having it on after a couple of days, they didn't even go near their stiches.

I'm sure she will be okay, but still praying for her.

·
Premium Member
2,210 Posts
I haven't experienced this. When Mandy had patellar luxation surgery, we used the soft doughnut that goes around their neck instead of the cone. She used it as a pillow when sleeping. I purchased it at our local Petco. It worked out much better for her than the cone. I hope Lucy is okay.

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
I remember a post from a couple of years ago where something like this happened. Can't remember which fluff. But the Vet didn't feel that he needed to redo the stitches and all was well.

They can always put a little surgeical glue on it too.

Fluffs seem to be able to find a way even when we think it's impossible.

Sending prayers that all is well.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
My Sophia pulled out one of her stitches about 3 days after her spay. Her Dr. said that unless it was bleeding that it would be ok because they sew up the inside before they stitch the outside. She was fine and ended up pulling out another one before she went to get them out. I used the onsies also but I had taken it off both times she got to the stitches :brownbag:

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You’re so sweet, Leo and Mia have a wonderful, wonderful mommy.

Lucy’s back home, they didn’t so anything other than to say - "GET THE CONE ON HER" - yikes! They did say that she's healing well. . . She wants to play with Barron, almost ruff-house with him - she's a tough cookie, even at 3.8 lbs.

I thought that the oneies would work out for her, but apparently she can get to her incision

Thank you for your help.

Allie

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Suzi and Lynn,

Thank you for the help. She's back home, in the pac 'n play with constant supervision, if she can't be supervised, on goes the cone - even with the oneies.

I feel guilty, about using the cone - but I want her to heal properly.

Allie

·
Premium Member
10,319 Posts
Lucy may be small but she is a little dynamo!! She will be fine but she needs the cone to keep her from pulling at them again. When do you go back to get the stitches out or do they disolve? The cone can come off then. Good luck to you and darling little Lucy~~~~:wub:

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
You’re so sweet, Leo and Mia have a wonderful, wonderful mommy.

Lucy’s back home, they didn’t so anything other than to say - "GET THE CONE ON HER" - yikes! They did say that she's healing well. . . She wants to play with Barron, almost ruff-house with him - she's a tough cookie, even at 3.8 lbs.

I thought that the oneies would work out for her, but apparently she can get to her incision

Thank you for your help.

Allie
I'm glad they didn't have to re-stitch, etc. I would keep her from playing. My vet always said no activity at all. After all, there is a lot of healing inside that we can't even see.

I have used the BiteNot on my Malts and it has worked well. Some of the vets in my town sell it ... You would probably need the small cat size.

About BiteNot Collars

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
Good she got the all clear :) what a little monkey. Now will be stuck with the nasty collar. Don't you just wish sometimes they would understand when we explain things to them? :unsure: :)

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you Jennifer, Dianne, K/C and Jo -

I know, I should have put the cone on from the start - she's too tiny for the n/b onesies, in that, there too big, but not long enough.

I could have sworn that they told me that she weighed in at 4.5 lbs nearly a month ago - but she weighed in at 3.8 day of surgery.

I guess it was 3.5, you know how it is with these fluffs, they do cause a lot of attention when being seen, and everything gets lost in translation, at least, for dingie me. (They weigh her on the baby scales, so I don't always see the weight).

She’s doing OK now - resting, but not understanding why Barr gets to play, while she’s in the pen.

Thanks again for your support and guidance.

K/C, no, I haven't allowed Lucy to play at all, but when I let Barr kiss her, she tries to bite his mustache.

~Allie

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I am sorry Lucy lost a stitch and has to wear that nasty Ecollar. :-( But at least its only for a few days and then she will be back to her old self!

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
Glad that the Vet wasn't worried. Lucy -- you've got to be a good girl and heal well.

(Jennifer -- it may have been Sophia that I was thinking about. I do remember that she pulled a couple stitches but that she was fine.)

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Glad Lucy is well and didn't need a restitch! KOW Delilah hasn't messed with her's. The only problem I have had is with her hair sticking to the stitches. I was also thinking the incision would be a little further down, but instead it's like in the middle of her tummy. She's got 5 stitches!

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Glad Lucy is well and didn't need a restitch! KOW Delilah hasn't messed with her's. The only problem I have had is with her hair sticking to the stitches. I was also thinking the incision would be a little further down, but instead it's like in the middle of her tummy. She's got 5 stitches!
Laura,

They shaved Lucy very well, the hair doesn't seem to be a problem. She's keeping the cone with a problem (the one that I made for her, and thankfully she is very comfortable with it) so, she's not attempting to lick, she knows that she can't reach the site.

She wants to be active, and that's a challenge.

I hope that Deliliah will improve each day -

Allie

1 - 16 of 16 Posts