Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lucy has never had any problems with stairs. We have had her for 2 1/2 years now and she's had no trouble at all. Last night at 11 pm she was running down the stairs and tumbled down the last 3 steps. She was in shock, laying on her side and not moving for 5 minutes. We rushed her to the emergency clinic and thank god she was okay. Please send your prayers because she is still a little disoriented today. The vet said she probably would be for a few days. Has something like this happened to anyone else? Lucy is only 3 pounds. No more stairs for her! I'm still worried about her. Do you guys let your maltese take the stairs?

·
Premium Member
24,028 Posts
Poor Lucy. Five minutes :w00t:-- it must have felt like the longest five minutes of your life. I'm happy she's okay and didn't fracture anything. Do they think she had a concussion? Were the steps carpeted or wood? I don't let Tyler do steps or jump on or off furniture. All my past dogs did but was told it's probably better for his knees that he doesn't. I hope Lucy will be okay. Keep an eye on her and if any problems where she is very disoriented or throws up, please get her to the vet again.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They were carpeted! But it was so scary. She was laying on her side with her tongue out. I thought I had lost her :(

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Oh, my, that is really scary! I hope she's back to her self real soon. I try not to let Sophie run down the stairs, but when the door bell rings or when the front door opens, she bolts down the stairs. She's double the size of your Lucy, but it scares me when she does this, since our stairs are hardwood and the flooring is marble.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Gosh, I'm so glad she is OK!!! What a scare!

I've been lucky that none of mine have any interest in the stairs. Our bedroom is downstairs and the only rooms upstairs are for guests, so I am rarely up there. But it is one less thing to worry about and one less gate to put up not having them climbing the stairs.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
OMG, that would have scared the mess out of me. We have steps that are not carpeted and Ollie goes up and down them. So far he has been okay. He really doesn't like to go up or down them without his mommy or daddy with him. Will be praying for little Lucy and her family. Please let us know how she is doing.

·
Premium Member
20,073 Posts
I tell you that is my worst night mare for Ava....she'll go up stairs, but not down, thank heavens!!!! One time she got a bit too close and fell down, she was shaken, but ok.

I'm so glad Lucy is alright!!!!!....both Lucy ..I never encourage it either. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
Oh my that is so scary. Lilly is 4 lbs and will go up the stairs but not down. I don't encourage it since it seems steep for her. Hearing this reminds me not to encourage it.
I am so happy Lucy is going to be ok. I am keeping her in my prayers.

·
Premium Member
4,225 Posts

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
How scary! :( I'm glad she is relatively okay...but what did the vet say was wrong with her??? Concussion? Poor baby, and she's so tiny. :(

I let ours use the stairs, London goes up stairs really weird though, it's hard to explain, so we have to watch her to make sure she doesn't hurt herself going UP the stairs (strange, I know, lol). Preston uses them without trouble. I think London has tumbled down a few stairs once but she was definitely fine. Our stairs are also carpeted.

We do have a child gate midway up the stairs (we have stairs that curve around) so they won't go down any of the stairs if they see the gate is closed. LOL

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
awe poor baby lucy glad she is ok.

No we carry our guys upstairs after dee dee hurt her leg on the doggie stairs I was too nervous. We just put back the doggie stairs by couch after 2 years as they were jumping off couch so figured that was worse but we do not let them run up and down the house stairs and they are in family room, office and kitchen baby gated off from any stairs.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I am so glad Lucy is alright! :( I can imagine how scared you were, thos 5 minutes must have seemed like an eternity. These little ones don't seem to fear anything and try to run and jump in places where they shouldn't. Bless her heart!

·
Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
17,980 Posts
I am glad Lucy was to the vet & that she seems okay.
Are you w/her most of the time? You would certainly notice if she might have had a seizure of any kind---not to alarm you, but just so you keep your eye on her. Since she is so small could it have been a sugar drop? What did the vet say?

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
I am glad Lucy was to the vet & that she seems okay.
Are you w/her most of the time? You would certainly notice if she might have had a seizure of any kind---not to alarm you, but just so you keep your eye on her. Since she is so small could it have been a sugar drop? What did the vet say?
I agree, with Sandi!
Glad to hear Lucy is doing fine now! But please keep an eye on her the next days! Hope everything will be allright!
My little girl tumbled up the stairs three years ago. After it she probably had a shock because she hurt herself. She never uses stairs now!

Alexandra :wub:

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
Our little ones are so fragile yet they are fearless! Poor Lucy. I hope she'll feel better soon. These things are so scary. Ben and Emma use the stairs. I never should have let them learn because you just never know that a simple stumble could really hurt them. You're a great Mommy and I know with all your love and care Lucy will be back to her happy, playful self soon!

·
Premium Member
13,437 Posts
How scary! I'm so glad she's alright. Jodi is afraid of going down my stairs but he will go up, most times. But still I watch him because they are slippery, but even then I'm not holding him. Anything can happen but luckily she's ok.

·
Premium Member
8,623 Posts
That's so scary! I'm glad Lucy is doing alright. Emy and Tess will run up and down steps but Zoey will go up but won't come back down. I'd rather none of them go upstairs so I gated them off.
hugs to Lucy!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts