Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Izzy was spayed Monday. She is eating fine and pooping fine. However, she has had two pee accidents on the floor and she had been totally housebroken before the surgery.

For the last two days, Izzy has been acting as though she is getting electrocuted. She will be laying sound asleep and suddenly leap straight into the air, thrash around, lunge wildly, claw at me like I'm from the movie The Exorcist and then she will go back to sleep. Five minutes later, she's at it again, leaping straight into the air and lurching around. She doesn't seem to indicate that it's coming from her sutures, to be honest, she's acting like it's coming from her head. My DH thinks she was used in some weird science experiment gone bad.
She's really acting bizarre. After each episode she will lunge madly for my mouth, trying to lick at my mouth, I try to gently push her away but she won't be detered, she dives for my mouth no matter how I turn my face away.

I am at a total loss. She hasn't been on pain meds for 24 hours now. Is she going through withdrawl or what?? Did any of your dogs act like this? Is this common behavior? Should I just pretend she's Brad Pitt?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Phoebe was doing that strange thing where she would just jump up like she had been bitten. That was one of the things that had me so worried. She would dig in strange places and in general act like she had gone mad
By 3 days I think is when I took her off the pain medicine, so my guess is that it could have something to do with that because she seemed a little more normal at around day 5 or 6? You'd think it was last year not last month my my memory stinks!

I hope Izzy starts coming around soon. It sounds like she did ok other than this? No major problems?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes!! That's another thing, Izzy IS digging in strange places, she digs in my lap, she digs on the couch, she digs on our bedspread, etc. This is the end of day 4 of her surgery. Did Phoebe just suddenly stop it, did she have sutures?

Izzy hasn't had any major problems at all, she was eating baby food the evening of her surgery, she never lost her appetite and she drank water as usual. It's just this very odd lunging and thrashing, and of course, trying to crawl inside my mouth.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
She had sutures... I should have written it on the calendar which day she was noticeably better. I know it was beyond 5, I think the 6th or 7th day? And it wasn't that drastic I guess... she just seemed to be gradually better, and here we are over a month later... Oh she was also hiding alot. Under the table, against a wall... Maybe thats what the digging is about? Maybe *thats* why she wants in your mouth!

It could be the drugs and just that she doesnt know why she feels so funny

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
It could be the medication or maybe she is still experiencing some pain when she suddently jumps. I know our chelesy does not yelp if she is in pain. Even when I accedetly steped on her paw she did not yelp she just jumped back.
Maybe she is dreaming too. When chelsey was spayed I could not keep her still like the Dr. wanted her to be. She came home and wanted to walk all ove the place oh yeah she was also digging her bed. She never did that before. Have you disscussed it with your Vet yet. Give them a call and see what they say about the lunging.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
She's on Buprenex 0.15cc. They gave me five doses but I've only given her three, each night for the first three nights. She has been off them now 36 hours. Thanks for your interest, guys. I knew I'd find some answers here.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about Izzy's behavior. I hope she's OK. I wish I could provide something to you, but I'm new at this... my Molly got spayed Tuesday.

Hoping for a quick and healthy recovery for Izzy.

mm

1 - 12 of 12 Posts