Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This ? goes out to those in the medical know. We have been fostering a Mother chihuahua and her pups since her 55th day of preg. We got her and another female chihuahua who is preg from a local shelter. They where taken from a BYB. They are in great body conditon besides having fleas when we got them.

The mom who has had her pups is named jamie and she has three wonderful pups. They turned 4 weeks today and are trying out their legs and doing great. I'm concerned about one of the pups seems to have a little more trouble walking in the rear than the others. She doesnt seem to be in any pain she jumps and plays like the others. Its hard to say if its a medical concern or if she is just learning to use her legs or what. I dont feel her patellas moving when I extend her legs. We have been avoiding taking her to the shelter to be seen by the vet because they havent had their shots and they have several cases of parvo at the shelter right now.

My ? is this how soon can you tell if a pup has lux patella?

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
you can tell from the begining if they are luxated..but you would have to know how to check. its something someone would have to show you, not something that could be explained. it is possible a younger pup would luxate more and decrease as it gets older and ligaments strengthen. It isnt just done by bending the leg..you have to physically grab on the the patella and move it. maybe explain ur situation to another vet and ask him if he/she would just fell the patellas for you and not charge an exam.

·
Registered
17,045 Posts
Lady M is correct. You can tell from when the pup begins to walk up until 1 yr old. The most common time for one to notice the slipping is when the pup is about 6 months old. It can be detected in an exam or sometimes x-rays are required.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts