Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by Puddles Mom@Oct 19 2005, 05:04 PM
I learned that Puddles has a luxating patella just by walking him one night. He saw a rabbit and started to run, down he went on his face and started to scream. Ya, scream, it was not a bark. I ran and picked him up and he continued to scream for 5 minutes. After a visit to the ER that night, he was given meds for inflammation and told bed rest. No jumping or playing for 2 weeks. He never showed any type of problems prior to that night.

It's been 5 months now and only see him limp one other time. He's does not jump up and down on the bed any more (has steps) and when I'm playing with him, I make sure I'm sitting on the floor (no jumping up and down on sofa fast).

I was told it will return in time, but will deal with it then. He is not at the point of surgery yet.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=111399
[/QUOTE]
I know what you mean about the scream and not bark. A few months ago, Tucker was kind of jumping around because I had his treat in my hand. When he went down he started screaming. I thought it might be luxating patella or maybe he broke something. This happened at night, so I took him to the vet the next day. His regular vet wasn't there, so a different one checked him. He did an x-ray and just said he pulled a muscle. He ran around on three legs for a couple of weeks. I took him back to the vet for something else and asked his reg. vet about his leg. He said it sounded like luxating patella to him and checked his kneecap and said he doesn't have it. He only checked that leg though and not the others.

I just wanted to let you guys know that when I posted this, it wasn't because I think Tucker has it, but just curious about it. Although it is kind of a concern of mine. Even if he doesn't have it now, I guess it could still develop, huh? Do they get it in all four legs? I sure hope I never have to worry about it. Poor thing has been thru enough already. Thanks everyone for your info.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.