Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Macy is getting in the habit of eating bugs when we go outside. I'm so scared she is going to get sick. The other day she had a big spider in her mouth, and was going to eat it but I stopped her from doing it. Does any of your babies do this?

·
Registered
994 Posts
Originally posted by steponme@Nov 5 2004, 02:31 PM
Macy is getting in the habit of eating bugs when we go outside. I'm so scared she is going to get sick. The other day she had a big spider in her mouth, and was going to eat it but I stopped her from doing it. Does any of your babies do this?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=15039
[/QUOTE]

Try and get her out of that habit a friend of mine has a cockerspaniel who liked eating Bee's until the bee stung her in her mouth and she had o be rushed to emergency so i would try and correct this as apsp
good luck

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
gruffi used to eat rocks and dirt, every time we'd just give a leash correction and say no. hopefully thats all you have to do and the phase passes. good luck!

·
Registered
831 Posts
I havent catched daezie and maya eating bugs, i know they like to play with them.

:ph34r: I have to watch them all the time. :ph34r:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes, most of em show an interest in bugs ( at least all of ours have at one time or another), maybe it's because they're small and so are the bugs and it's easy prey. That's when teaching them "leave it" comes in handy. Start by holding a treat in your hand in front of them and tell them to "leave it". When they go for the treat close your hand and say "leave it". Eventually they will leave it alone for a longer and longer period. You be the judge of how long it is before you tell them to "take it" and praise them for leaving it. Work towards longer and longer "leave it times. To take it a little farther, leave a treat on the ground and tell them to "leave it". You need to be close enough to cover the treat if they slip and try to take it. Now, Jazz will pretty much drop anything she picks up if I tell her to "leave it". The other side of the coin is, who knows what they eat if/when your not looking.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts