Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new little rescue who has been in a cage for 12 years, although she has been in a foster home for some time.. She was brought to me today and she is very sweet, but won't let anyone near her.She's very fearful of the human hand. She was this way in the other home as well, to some degree.. Does anyone have any knowledge that you could give me so I can help this little girl.. She's very old, but perky for her age, and I would love to be able to show her that she can live without this tragic consequence of living in a puppy mill her whole life...She unfortunately doesn't have a tooth in her head and her tongue sticks out, but she's so cute..I'd just like to be able to hug her.:wub: Thanks

Jayne PS... Her name is Katey

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
Bless her little heart. Jayne, have you tried feeding her by hand..something good like chicken pieces? If that's too close for her, try giving her bits at a time just a little closer to you each time until she takes if from your hand. That could be a start. Don't try to touch her, just feed her for awhile and see how it goes. Maybe that's the first step. Let her be and with patience she may come around.
Others may have more ideas. Slow and steady wins the race.

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
Hi Jayne. I don't know if this is any help, but I rescued a yorkie right out of a puppy mill as an adult. The Mill was raided and shut down and there were tons of yorkies needing homes. That mill was disgustingly filthy, cages upon cages stacked in filth. The ones on the bottom had eye infections from the feces and urine dropping down on them. I didn't want one, but somehow I ended up with Tinker ....my sweet little knucklehead (long story). Anway, the humane society only adopted these dogs out to people who already had dogs, i guess so they can watch and learn how to be normal.

I've had Tink for three and 1/2 years now and he's still scared to death of everyone except me. I took great pains and many months to gain his trust. Every time I approached him i did it carefully and slowly, I always ran my hand across his back first then around to his tummy to lift him up. Never did anything quickly. Always spoke softly and comforting to him. It took about two months to house train him, all of a sudden it was like a light bulb going of in his head and he got it!!!!!!

There have been additional improvements along the way, but he still won't let anyone touch him unless I'm holding him. But he loves me with all his heart. He pats my hand if I stop petting him. And when I hold him, he throws himself backwards so that I'm holding him like a baby. :wub:

Tink is about the most serious dog I've ever met, no humor, no play. But he's a good boy.

I hope and pray you can find the perfect home for little Katey.

·
Premium Member
4,225 Posts
You are an angel for taking her in Jayne.

·
Premium Member
10,186 Posts
Bless her little heart. Jayne, have you tried feeding her by hand..something good like chicken pieces? If that's too close for her, try giving her bits at a time just a little closer to you each time until she takes if from your hand. That could be a start. Don't try to touch her, just feed her for awhile and see how it goes. Maybe that's the first step. Let her be and with patience she may come around.
Others may have more ideas. Slow and steady wins the race.
I like what Brit suggested here, Jayne. Baby steps can go a long way.

Bless your heart, Jayne, for being there for Katey. :tender:

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
:crying: Jayne, it just breaks my heart when I read about a dog whose life was so wretched and now they can't trust or love anyone. I was going to suggest you get in touch with Pat, and then of course, knowing Pat, she responded to you right away. I saw sweet little Tink at the Puppy Party and he would peek down the stairs at everyone and even came near Tyler to check him out but he wouldn't let me near him. He'd run away. So as Pat said, slow and steady. When feeding by hand I'm sure he won't come to your hand but even if you put it on the floor near him he'll probably go to it... and then try moving it closer to you over a long period of time. Odd about Tyler -- he doesn't really like to take things from my hand either. But we've worked on it and he's better.
Good luck and bless you for doing this. Boy you take on the challenges, don't you. :hugging:

Oops -- the new rescue's a she not a he.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all of the good advice.. Katey surprised me last night by jumping on the chair and then on the bed where my husband was watching TV.. She layed down beside him and he petted her for quite some time.. It was diner time for the doggies, so I slowly walked over and she let me pick her up.. I put her in a quiet room to eat, and she finished her whole dinner.. But, she still will not let me touch her otherwise..It seems that she feels more secure when she'd up on the bed..Does that make any sense? In any case that was very brave of her, and I will take all of your suggestions and go very slowly with Miss Katey..
And No, I'm no angel..These little ones give me much more than I give them..No doubt about that!!! :)

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Love, love and more love............. and some more love. Dogs love being loved and it may take a while, and maybe some chicken or some bacon bits but eventually, she will trust you and love you.

I would also take her places and expose her to new things. Maybe in a stroller or bag so she feels protected and secure but it will help. Its desensitizing to noise, and environment and people. Its similar to how they break skittish horses, ( horses are all skittiish when young).
Be patient and persistent and consistent and it will pay off. No matter what her age she deserves the very best life. Bless you for giving her a great home.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
i agree with everyone here , and bless u for taking her in .. just give her love she'll know .

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
Thanks for all of the good advice.. Katey surprised me last night by jumping on the chair and then on the bed where my husband was watching TV.. She layed down beside him and he petted her for quite some time.. It was diner time for the doggies, so I slowly walked over and she let me pick her up.. I put her in a quiet room to eat, and she finished her whole dinner.. But, she still will not let me touch her otherwise..It seems that she feels more secure when she'd up on the bed..Does that make any sense? In any case that was very brave of her, and I will take all of your suggestions and go very slowly with Miss Katey..
And No, I'm no angel..These little ones give me much more than I give them..No doubt about that!!! :)

That's great! So you're seeing progress already...and you'll see it all the time...tiny things, but progress non-the-less. :aktion033:

You know when I first got Tink, when he had to poop, he would climb up the wire fence outside and hold on, and poop while standing straight up - I wonder if that's because he was trying to get it in the very corner of his cage??? Strange stuff. Also, he is NOT food motivated at all, he found his salvation from stress in little furry squeaky toys. To this day he's never without a toy in his mouth most of the time. And when I took him out, I kept him in a front pack attached to my body, he felt safe there close to me.

good luck. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Hi Jayne. I don't know if this is any help, but I rescued a yorkie right out of a puppy mill as an adult. The Mill was raided and shut down and there were tons of yorkies needing homes. That mill was disgustingly filthy, cages upon cages stacked in filth. The ones on the bottom had eye infections from the feces and urine dropping down on them. I didn't want one, but somehow I ended up with Tinker ....my sweet little knucklehead (long story). Anway, the humane society only adopted these dogs out to people who already had dogs, i guess so they can watch and learn how to be normal.

I've had Tink for three and 1/2 years now and he's still scared to death of everyone except me. I took great pains and many months to gain his trust. Every time I approached him i did it carefully and slowly, I always ran my hand across his back first then around to his tummy to lift him up. Never did anything quickly. Always spoke softly and comforting to him. It took about two months to house train him, all of a sudden it was like a light bulb going of in his head and he got it!!!!!!

There have been additional improvements along the way, but he still won't let anyone touch him unless I'm holding him. But he loves me with all his heart. He pats my hand if I stop petting him. And when I hold him, he throws himself backwards so that I'm holding him like a baby. :wub:

Tink is about the most serious dog I've ever met, no humor, no play. But he's a good boy.

I hope and pray you can find the perfect home for little Katey.
That's great! So you're seeing progress already...and you'll see it all the time...tiny things, but progress non-the-less. :aktion033:

You know when I first got Tink, when he had to poop, he would climb up the wire fence outside and hold on, and poop while standing straight up - I wonder if that's because he was trying to get it in the very corner of his cage??? Strange stuff. Also, he is NOT food motivated at all, he found his salvation from stress in little furry squeaky toys. To this day he's never without a toy in his mouth most of the time. And when I took him out, I kept him in a front pack attached to my body, he felt safe there close to me.

good luck. :thumbsup:
Pat gives very good advice. Our Pip is a BYB rescue and also has lots of these fear issues. She didn't eat for the first two days and used evade us when we'd try to pick her up by running around the coffee table, etc.

But like yours, she feels comfortable up high. Her favorite place is on our bed (it's pretty high - we have stairs for the dogs)...or else on the very top of the couch (the back). She basically spends most of her day up there. Progress in these abused/neglected animals is slow but oh so rewarding when you finally get that first kiss (it took us months and months). She will have been with us 1 year on Sep 8 and we can tell there has been good progress, it's just slow...and so much more to go. Pip feels most comfortable around us when we are sitting or lying on the bed (probably look less 'threatening' to her because we aren't so tall).

Bless you for taking her in...seniors have a harder time finding homes and can be such wonderful additions to a family! Looking forward to reading about your progress - it sounds like she is really willing and wanting to learn - amazing that she has already come up to your husband like that - so I'm sure whatever you are doing is spot on! Just remember, it happens a bit more slowly with these...

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Katey will only be with me for a short while I'm afraid..She is going to another foster home at some point..Poor little girl just needs a forever home...Two new dogs arrived yesterday and the one with the greatest physical need is to stay with me.. She is a very sick little girl and needs heart meds often throughout the day...But the one with the greatest emotional need is Katey.. My heart just hurts for her.. I have the feeling she has chosen me,because tonight she put her paws on my leg and let me pick her up.. She was afraid, but stayed brave as I lifted her slowly up.. She melted into my lap after awhile.. I think she will be ok now..I was afraid at first that she was going to be terrified forever.. She still isn't one to allow me to touch her when I want..It has to be on her terms, and that's just fine with me..Now if we could just find her a loving forever home.. Would you all pray for that for her?

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Oh no!!!! No way you could keep her too til a forever home is found? If she's chosen you are her safe place, won't another temporary situation just revert her again? :( Worried...

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh no!!!! No way you could keep her too til a forever home is found? If she's chosen you are her safe place, won't another temporary situation just revert her again? :( Worried...
Truthfully I think I'd ike to keep her here.. She was 12 when she was rescued and the other foster said she had her for two years..It just seems cruel to keep moving her..I think I'll talk to the piwers that be and see if she can't just stay here..She needs a forever home, because she probably doesn't have that much time left..Poor little girl..:wub: I'll keep you posted..

·
Premium Member
13,418 Posts
Truthfully I think I'd ike to keep her here.. She was 12 when she was rescued and the other foster said she had her for two years..It just seems cruel to keep moving her..I think I'll talk to the piwers that be and see if she can't just stay here..She needs a forever home, because she probably doesn't have that much time left..Poor little girl..:wub: I'll keep you posted..

I hope that things work out so she can stay with you. What a sweetheart.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have made a request for SCMR to allow me to keep Katey here with me.. It will put quite a strain on me though considering I have 11 dogs right now.. We were hoping that One of the other dogs had found a forever home, but I just found out that adoption has fallen through.. :-( Anyway, I'll try my best to keep her..She deserves to be settled for what time she has left....

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
I have made a request for SCMR to allow me to keep Katey here with me.. It will put quite a strain on me though considering I have 11 dogs right now.. We were hoping that One of the other dogs had found a forever home, but I just found out that adoption has fallen through.. :-( Anyway, I'll try my best to keep her..She deserves to be settled for what time she has left....

Eleven dogs?! :w00t: ............:Girl power:I give up....you're my hero! And your husband is outstanding too!!!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts