Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I come home from work and find a neatly printed booklet on my bed from my oldest daughter. We have 2 girls 10 and 7y/o. We are on a full search for a maltese. The agreement was to wait until my oldest turned 10 y/o. That was 2 years ago. My wife and I wanted to make sure they were in this 100%.

So how do I know they are for real?

My girls are very patient - you have to be to wait 2 years. Many kids today have a sense of entitlement. My wife and I want to break that behavior and instill in our girls there is no entitlement in this world. Everything must be earned and well deserved. You have to work for what you want. Therefore, the time waiting was spent on research and understanding the amount of responsibility that goes into raising a pet.

My girls, mostly the oldest, spent endless hours pet sitting for neighborhood and family dogs ranging from malteses, beagles, papillons, bichons, yorkies and a daschund - mostly smaller breeds. Basically to understand the specific traits of the breeds.

So here's the booklet, broken down by the specific dogs she pet sat over the years. It was entertaining and amusing but scary at the thought of how much time and effort she put into the booklet.

Excerpt:
Lexi (Yorkie)
- Loves being brushed
- Acts as my company
- Makes me feel safe
- Wonderful to be around
- Fun to play with

Lilly (Papillon)
- Yappy
- Pees on the rug in small amounts
- Makes my day
- Always happy/never sad

Snowball (Maltese)
- Adorable and cuddly
- Makes me feel happy
- Excellent company in bed
- Cute bounce when she runs
- Doesn't bark!

Things to do:
- Every morning I took her on a walk
- Gave her love/played all day with her
- Made sure she had enough food/water
- Made sure she didn't over eat

And then she made an album with pictures of the dogs.

Last page was the tear jerker.
I wish for a.... MALTESE PUPPY!!! For any occasion, I would DIE to have a maltese puppy. My WHOLE life, I wanted a puppy, and I still do.

(In very small print) But... I don't really want to take care of the puppy all by myself, because my other family members don't give much help in these kinds of situations. Boy do I wish my Mom, Dad and little sister would help.

I have to admit we made it very clear it was her responsibility when dog sitting. However, we've had a family meeting including the grandparents that everyone must contribute raising the new addition. Heck, you can't place that burden on a 10y/o. :thumbsup:

Reading this booklet made me understand she is certainly ready. How can I say "NO" now that I've seen how serious she is about wanting a maltese.

I'm taking the booklet to the printers to make a keepsake out of it.

I don't know why I had the need to share but it was heartfelt.

Good night!

·
Membership Suspended
2,839 Posts
If your daughter has her heart set on a Maltese puppy, may I ask why you are looking for a retiree?
:goodpost: In your daughters journal not once did she say Maltese dog. She specifically stated Maltese puppy, and said it more then once. Perhaps you should read that journal again. :huh: Yes, I think she's ready for a Maltese PUPPY. :)

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
I think it's great she wants a maltese so badly! Either adult or puppy - I'm sure the malt will be a very welcome family member!

My daughter is 11 and we are in Long Beach right now and she is showing at Eukanuba dog show this weekend in both junior showmanship and the breed ring. I can honestly say that getting our first maltese was one was of the BEST THINGS that ever happened to her!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess I'm looking at all options. I'm thinking she wants a puppy because of the idea of something new. However, a young maltese dog/puppy are similar in size within 12 months. Puppy to her is based on size. Don't read too much into puppy/dog. It's the maltese she's after.

What's enlightening is the simple fact she's never expressed so much desire for something. This is a new experience for me to see her fixated on a subject.

Should I be worried? << Rhetorical question. ;)

·
Registered
382 Posts
How sweet is that! I think it is great that you are teaching your kids that nothing comes without hard work and sacrifice. You are right, there are so many kids today who feel like they are intitled to something. I know, I teach in the public school system.

I think after waiting two years, dog sitting and writing down her thoughts on each breed, she has proven she is serious and I would definatley let her have the little pup.

Good luck in your search. I can honestly tell you that you will not be disappointed.

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
I have to say that I think your daughter did more homework on taking care of dogs and checking out breeds than most adults. :aktion033: It sounds very sweet and she has hung in there a long time. I tend to agree about the size being more of a thing than age of the puppy. I think you could go for a Malt who is a teenager and she's still be totally thrilled. Does she want to dress a dog? That might be a biggie with whether a boy or girl. You can dress boys but not nearly as much as girls. There isn't as much out there in clothes. But my male pup is the loviest.:wub::wub:

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
May I add

Hi:

Your daughter has great taste :chili::chili: the Maltese, is the most loving, clean and loyal friend anyone could ever ask for! at her age, I say she is ready ! if it is in your reach, please give it to her. She will never stop thanking you for the bond she will have with this magnificent breed.

:aktion033::aktion033::aktion033::aktion033::aktion033:

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
I have always been a dog lover. As a small child I dreamed of having my own dog to live inside the home and be one of the family. Unfortunately, my parents did not share my dream. I grew up with that in the back of my mind knowing that when I had children it would be a different experience for them. I think it is important that a parent understand their child's maturity and abilities. My oldest daughter thinks a dog is cute and would want one, but she could not take care of even a goldfish and, therefore, would never be a good candidate for dog ownership. But my three younger children are all very mature for their age and they share their mother's innate love for all things animal, especially dogs. My oldest son was between nine and ten when we bought him his own Whippet pup. We never had to remind him to feed and care for the dog and he showed the utmost concern for her welfare. They were inseparable. Carly is now 12 yrs old and they are still the best of friends even though he is away at college. My second daughter was even younger when she got her first puppy, a Cairin terrier and Toto look alike from the Wizard of Oz. Although young, she did all the care taking for the dog and she loved her immensely. They too were inseparable best friends. Toto died at 8 yrs old due to a seizure disorder. The entire family was devastated for the loss. Finally, my youngest son wanted a Boston Terrier. At 10 yrs old, he bonded with his new pup within minutes. They remain best friends and roommates today. He does a great job in caring for his pet. With all that said, only a parent knows their child and if they believe they are ready for the responsibility of a dog, there is nothing better for building a long and enriched relationship. A dog is not for every kid and that was the case with my oldest daughter, but for my other three kids, it has been great. I vote yes for the Maltese for Christmas. My home includes my three Maltese as well as the other dogs. Dogs teach us life lessons when we least expect it.

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
Here is my 11 year old daughter today in Junior Showmanship in long Beach, Ca at the AKC/Eukanuba National championship. I think i already said it in another post but getting a maltese was one of the best things i have EVER done. The dog in this picture is our first maltese we bought as a pet

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Here is my 11 year old daughter today in Junior Showmanship in long Beach, Ca at the AKC/Eukanuba National championship. I think i already said it in another post but getting a maltese was one of the best things i have EVER done. The dog in this picture is our first maltese we bought as a pet
It gives me goosebumps to look at your Marina now and remember back when Marina just liked to put dog bows on her Barbie dolls! She's grown up right in front of us and has matured into such a lovely young lady.

I think as long as the whole family is committed a pet is a wonderful experience for a child. We did the whole thing, dogs, cats, even horses, when my children were young. My daughter competed in Pony Club with the horses. Whether it was cleaning a litter box or cleaning tack, though, at the end of the day it's the parent's responsibility to make sure an animal is properly taken care of.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I am so proud of your girls for being so mature and willing to fight the good (and long) fight. Wow what a testimony for you and your family for such mature young ladies.

I have 4 children, ages 10,7, 6, and 4. My oldest is like Stacy's Marina as far as she has her own show malt that is also a pet. I also have a female maltese and now 3 young babies. All of my children have grown up with animals and know how to treat them.

I think your girls, with a little guidance, will do very well with their own malt to love.

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
I come home from work and find a neatly printed booklet on my bed from my oldest daughter. We have 2 girls 10 and 7y/o. We are on a full search for a maltese. The agreement was to wait until my oldest turned 10 y/o. That was 2 years ago. My wife and I wanted to make sure they were in this 100%.

So how do I know they are for real?

My girls are very patient - you have to be to wait 2 years. Many kids today have a sense of entitlement. My wife and I want to break that behavior and instill in our girls there is no entitlement in this world. Everything must be earned and well deserved. You have to work for what you want. Therefore, the time waiting was spent on research and understanding the amount of responsibility that goes into raising a pet.

My girls, mostly the oldest, spent endless hours pet sitting for neighborhood and family dogs ranging from malteses, beagles, papillons, bichons, yorkies and a daschund - mostly smaller breeds. Basically to understand the specific traits of the breeds.

So here's the booklet, broken down by the specific dogs she pet sat over the years. It was entertaining and amusing but scary at the thought of how much time and effort she put into the booklet.

Excerpt:
Lexi (Yorkie)
- Loves being brushed
- Acts as my company
- Makes me feel safe
- Wonderful to be around
- Fun to play with

Lilly (Papillon)
- Yappy
- Pees on the rug in small amounts
- Makes my day
- Always happy/never sad

Snowball (Maltese)
- Adorable and cuddly
- Makes me feel happy
- Excellent company in bed
- Cute bounce when she runs
- Doesn't bark!

Things to do:
- Every morning I took her on a walk
- Gave her love/played all day with her
- Made sure she had enough food/water
- Made sure she didn't over eat

And then she made an album with pictures of the dogs.

Last page was the tear jerker.
I wish for a.... MALTESE PUPPY!!! For any occasion, I would DIE to have a maltese puppy. My WHOLE life, I wanted a puppy, and I still do.

(In very small print) But... I don't really want to take care of the puppy all by myself, because my other family members don't give much help in these kinds of situations. Boy do I wish my Mom, Dad and little sister would help.

I have to admit we made it very clear it was her responsibility when dog sitting. However, we've had a family meeting including the grandparents that everyone must contribute raising the new addition. Heck, you can't place that burden on a 10y/o. :thumbsup:

Reading this booklet made me understand she is certainly ready. How can I say "NO" now that I've seen how serious she is about wanting a maltese.

I'm taking the booklet to the printers to make a keepsake out of it.

I don't know why I had the need to share but it was heartfelt.

Good night!
Oh that is abundantly soooooooooooooooooooooooooo sweet, and I can see how that pulled at your heart. Oh absolutely have that booklet made into a keepsake :wub:, and she so bright and knows, the little new one, will require the whole family to be involved in loving, raising and enjoying the precious Maltese.

She really gave it great thought. Oh how sweet. Hope she gets to name the precious new one :wub:

Best of luck to you and your family.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Oh my! Tears streaming down my face...

When I was a child, I yearned for a pet. My Mom was a clean freak and wouldn't allow animals. I didn't get my first pet until I was an adult. Cats, big dogs, medium dogs, and then finally Maltese!!

And now... I can't live without them....Maltese are the best!!! :wub:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts