Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bree has such cottony fluffy hair. I wish it were more silky and not so poofy. I use regular Pet Silk shampoo and conditioner, Quicker Slicker after her shower and blow dry her hair. She gets bathed once a week sometimes every two weeks. I don't know what else to try. I want her hair to look nicer. I brush her hair as often as I can. Usually every 1-3 days. She still gets mats and her hair just looks messy and big all the time! What do I do? :smilie_tischkante:

Ps. I searched the forums for similar questions and answers but nothing seemed to really answer my question so if you read this question somewhere else, sorry for the repeat!:blush:

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
I feel you pain. Ava's hair is cottony also. I've tried everything that anyone has advised. But I believe each dogs hair is different, the same as people's hair is different. One day you'll find the secret.....ahem....then let me in on it....and I'll do the same! :thumbsup:

At the moment I'm using Pure Paws reconstructing shampoo, I've used the pure paws conditioner but I'm almost thinking that just plain old Tresemme' moisturizing conditioner (for people) is working better. I mix it with water but don't rinse it all out. It's still not right, but I'm moving in the right direction.

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
My Emily is a cotton ball too. I put a little olive oil in the shampoo,it seems to help. I also spray a little olive oil spray,very lightly and use a flat iron and she looks best that way. The flat iron and a little olive oil spray from the black hair care isle works the absolute best. It's in a green can ,it says Organic root stimulator on the top. I use it on my hair too. It helps a lot on matting too It won't discolour hair,when used w/ heat of a flat iron,like many products can do.

If you don't want to flat iron, just use it when almost dry and comb through and hit it w/ the hair dryer to straighten out the hair more and it helps.They won't look stringy either since it's a light spray.

·
Premium Member
3,573 Posts
I have to treat Madison's hair as I do my own - Joico shampoo and conditioner, blow dry, then after a couple of hours I use Chi Iron Guard and my Chi flat iron. That keeps her hair straight and silky until the next humid day. She's very good about it and stands perfectly still. I use clips to hold up the layers and iron from the bottom up. My friends think I'm nuts, but she is my little girl! My Barbie-Dog!

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
Start out with a good conditioner & shampoo. I prefer Pantene Ice, Natures Specialty or Les Pooch. (I got Pure Paws in my goody bag which I want to try)

When Mia is going out somewhere special or when Bella's hair is just to much to handle (that girl has hair!) I pull out the straightening iron! After this weekend's show I notice almost everyone showing has a straightening iron for their fluff.

I have a child size looking one I use on them. You just need to be careful on how you use it. It gets very hot and you can't get to close to their skin.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I feel you pain. Ava's hair is cottony also. I've tried everything that anyone has advised. But I believe each dogs hair is different, the same as people's hair is different. One day you'll find the secret.....ahem....then let me in on it....and I'll do the same! :thumbsup:

At the moment I'm using Pure Paws reconstructing shampoo, I've used the pure paws conditioner but I'm almost thinking that just plain old Tresemme' moisturizing conditioner (for people) is working better. I mix it with water but don't rinse it all out. It's still not right, but I'm moving in the right direction.
You are on the right track!!! NOW ad in PurePaws Silk Cream to that conditioner. OR get their oatmeal, both shampoo and conditioner and use with the silk. Mix in 2T of conditioner and 1tsp of the silk.. I use a 1/2 gal jug, HOT water in the bottom, let it sit while shampooing, then add in warm to make jug all warm, not hot. Then plug up sink...pour over dog, depending on how big your sink is, add in a bit more water...enough so that when you get a cup you can dip up at least 1/2 of the cupful and then start pouring cup after cup over your dog.... mmmm, about 5min. voila. I think you will be happier with your coat.

I mean, you aren't going to change a genetically manufactured cotton coat to silk :))) BUT, this will help. Indi has a cotton coat and her legs are kept long. this regiment really makes her leg hair silky and her cotton body hair is silkier. :)

warning: silk cream is expensive!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
My Malt had very silky fur until she turned one in April. I don't know if her coat changed due to her age or the weather changing. In any event, I just used Pure Paws Oatmeal shampoo and used the silk. I left the silk (diluted) on her for the 2 - 3 minutes as recommended, then rinsed out. Her mats were very easy to brush out with a pin brush and today, one day after her bath, her fur is still very silky and not matted. I don't know how long this will last. I also tried to hot iron her and she looked great.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Depending on how cottony the coat is you will only get so far with product. Daisy's is silky and straight, but Pip's is very cottony (almost like a Bichon). For her, even though product makes it very soft, it will always wave out and grows out straighter making her look like a fatty. So I just have to keep her in a shorter puppy cut. Your baby is adorable :)

·
Premium Member
6,227 Posts
Eileen ,i've 5 malts some of mine also tend to be a little cottony a .i think the spray i'm using at the moment is brilliant its boots coconut and almond oil .only costs a few euro so i use it every day before i brush p.m me i can send you a bottle .

·
Registered
574 Posts
My Malt had very silky fur until she turned one in April. I don't know if her coat changed due to her age or the weather changing. In any event, I just used Pure Paws Oatmeal shampoo and used the silk. I left the silk (diluted) on her for the 2 - 3 minutes as recommended, then rinsed out. Her mats were very easy to brush out with a pin brush and today, one day after her bath, her fur is still very silky and not matted. I don't know how long this will last. I also tried to hot iron her and she looked great.
Isn't that silk to die for!!! worth its weight in GOLD! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
6,772 Posts
While not the solution I would recommend. Atticus' puppy coat was rather cottony and most certainly rugby's was. When Atticus was rescued from his adventure we had him and then rugby cut down and when their coats started ti grow in again they were much silkier. Fluke?? Me having more experince growing out and maintaining a coat? Or getting rid of the remanents of the puppy coat, I don't know. But both dogs have a nice texture to their coats.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow I'm overjoyed at the responses I got. Thanks so much every one. I'm going to try all your suggestions. Im desperate. My poor baby looks so unkept at times and thats not the case at all! My boyfriend even comments on how much I buy for her... haha :chili:

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
I just wanted to make suggustion to anyone that is using a flat iron. We suggust that to protect the coat from heat damage it is a good idea to use something like our Finishing Spray or Ultra Shine Spray. You can either spray the coat directly or spray your brush and apply it to the coat, then use your flat iron.

·
Premium Member
2,077 Posts
Izzy has a bad curly cottony coat. The Pure Paws Oatmeal Shampoo, Oatmeal conditioner, and Ultra Silk in combination is working well for us bathing weekly. Any one of the three with out the others doesn't work as well for us.

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
For me personally, I would only use oil products as a very LAST resort because sometimes you can wind up with a huge matted mess on your hands if the coat becomes dependent on the oil and you decide to try something different and yes i speak from experience, LOL! Good thing I was already planning on cutting the coat down but it was a mess.

So if it were me, I'd try some of the other solutions before trying oil. If a coat is truly cottony, unfortunately there isn't a true miracle cure to make the coat silky.

A flat iron definitely helps create a silkier finish, especially on a coat that can be poofy. Let us know what you find that helps!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts