Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having Sophie for just about 1 1/2 years, I had no idea how bad her teeth were. I brush her teeth ever since the first day she came to my life. On the exterior, her teeth were always so white and her breath never had any foul odors (she smells like a hamster).:wub:

Last week (right after she came back from the groomers), her right cheek swelled so much, it looked like she had a black eye. Turns out, one of her molars were so rotted, it developed an abscess. I quickly brought her to my vet (yesterday morning) for a deep cleaning.
To everyone's surprise, most of the problem teeth were so loose, they came out without surgery. The abscessed molar was surrounded with dense plaque that would be impossible for me to clean.

I suspect that the previous owner never took her for a dental cleaning.:angry: Even though I religiously brush her teeth, there are just some areas that requires the vet to access under anesthesia.

The vet wanted to keep her teeth and stated that it was the most perfect specimen he'd ever seen. He said that he never in his whole career, has he seen a whole, intact tooth.

The entire cost was $933. But that's nothing compared to the health and wellbeing of my pup.
I think this is last of the "hidden" surprises that the previous owner left for me. At least I hope so...

·
Premium Member
7,952 Posts
Good dental care is so important. I had Sissy's teeth cleaned last year so thought I had a couple years on her. But her molars went bad fast. They had to pull them this year. She didn't do well on anesthesia last year so my vet masked her for the procedure this year. She was up and alert in no time and I was able to pick her up. She had stitches so had pain meds for a couple days but did great. And Riley had his first dental this year. How old is Sophie? She probably never had a dental!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I couldn't agree more! I only wished this issue could've be prevented. :angry:

Sophie's 5 years, 7 months old.
The vet said she did great. After the anesthesia was flushed out of her system, she was back to her crazy self. She howled for hours until I came and picked her up.
When we went home, she quickly ran towards her food bowl. She was starving and begged everyone for more food. This morning, she did the exact same thing after her potty break (searching and begging for food). :HistericalSmiley:

I'm glad that we were given liquid antibiotics and NSAIDS. Its so much easier to administer than tablets. :chili:

Looking at her past medical records the previous owner gave me, it looks like this was her first and only dental.

Man...She looks goofier than ever. She now has a humongous gap on her bottom right incisors. If she could talk, she'd probably lisp :HistericalSmiley:

·
Premium Member
7,952 Posts
I couldn't agree more! I only wished this issue could've be prevented. :angry:

Sophie's 5 years, 7 months old.
The vet said she did great. After the anesthesia was flushed out of her system, she was back to her crazy self. She howled for hours until I came and picked her up.
When we went home, she quickly ran towards her food bowl. She was starving and begged everyone for more food. This morning, she did the exact same thing after her potty break (searching and begging for food). :HistericalSmiley:

I'm glad that we were given liquid antibiotics and NSAIDS. Its so much easier to administer than tablets. :chili:

Looking at her past medical records the previous owner gave me, it looks like this was her first and only dental.

Man...She looks goofier than ever. She now has a humongous gap on her bottom right incisors. If she could talk, she'd probably lisp :HistericalSmiley:
Wow she does have a lisp!:HistericalSmiley:, she did do great! I'm sure she looks adorable, even i

·
Premium Member
20,000 Posts
Personally, I don't brush my dog's teeth daily. But I do take them annually for cleanings. (5 cleanings this year). (OUCH!) :w00t:

I believe that if a dog is prone to bad teeth, they will have bad teeth.

I have friends who brush their dog's teeth religiously - but then have multiple extractions during cleanings anyway.

So, I have some who have bad teeth and some who have good teeth. Ava is one of the ones with bad teeth....her mother had bad teeth....it's just in the genes.

Archie, Abbey and Tink have had remarkably good teeth....time will tell with Chyna and Asia.

Sometimes I do additives to their water...not sure if that helps or not though.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ooph, that's high. I got the estimate for Berry's dental yesterday. Her teeth are awful. I've never had to have any of my Danes' teeth cleaned. I give them lots of meaty, raw bones to keep their teeth clean. Here is what I am looking at for Berry's... pic attached.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
20,000 Posts
Ooph, that's high. I got the estimate for Berry's dental yesterday. Her teeth are awful. I've never had to have any of my Danes' teeth cleaned. I give them lots of meaty, raw bones to keep their teeth clean. Here is what I am looking at for Berry's... pic attached.
That's a great price...I pay at least $500 per dog.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
All my Malts have dentals every 6 months and always get blood work done. I can't emphasize enough how important dentals are. A friend of mine had a little Malt I babysat who had horrible breath and, of course, teeth that were beyond awful. After I jumped up and down, we got him scheduled for a dental with my vet and he lost a LOT of teeth. Sadly, it was too late. He died of CHF last month.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow she does have a lisp!:HistericalSmiley:, she did do great! I'm sure she looks adorable, even i
Now she can easily have her tongue out whenever she wants B)

Personally, I don't brush my dog's teeth daily. But I do take them annually for cleanings. (5 cleanings this year). (OUCH!) :w00t:

I believe that if a dog is prone to bad teeth, they will have bad teeth.

I have friends who brush their dog's teeth religiously - but then have multiple extractions during cleanings anyway.

So, I have some who have bad teeth and some who have good teeth. Ava is one of the ones with bad teeth....her mother had bad teeth....it's just in the genes.

Archie, Abbey and Tink have had remarkably good teeth....time will tell with Chyna and Asia.

Sometimes I do additives to their water...not sure if that helps or not though.
Maybe you're right. Maybe she was too inbred, thus making her more susceptible to infections. Sophie's my first dog with this extensive dental issue. I now know to keep an eye on her health even more so.
Wooha! That's an amazing price! In my area, $900+ is the norm.

That's a great price...I pay at least $500 per dog.
$500 is an amazingly low price too!
All my Malts have dentals every 6 months and always get blood work done. I can't emphasize enough how important dentals are. A friend of mine had a little Malt I babysat who had horrible breath and, of course, teeth that were beyond awful. After I jumped up and down, we got him scheduled for a dental with my vet and he lost a LOT of teeth. Sadly, it was too late. He died of CHF last month.
I'm sorry for your loss.
When Sophie's face swelled up, I panicked and worried that the abscess infected her bone. I had a 17 year old cat that was in this exact same scenario and his prognosis went down very quickly (he passed away several months later after oral surgery).
With Sophie, I'm always worried about her teeth. She has an underbite and often times, she exposes her lower teeth.
It's odd, Sophie's mouth never had any foul odors and she never grimaced while eating.

·
Super Moderator
10,132 Posts
For those 3 elements, that's a bit less than I pay in Chicago. What I don't see on the estimate are the charges for extractions, x-rays (needed to see below the gum line), additional anesthesia if more than one extraction is needed, pain meds and antibiotics. These things that aren't listed on your estimate can really add up.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I am taking Bailey in for her teeth cleaning this month. I am looking at about $400.00 if they do any extractions. Luckily I bought her pet insurance so that will cover a good portion. The pet insurance will also cover her blood work.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I agree... dentals are so important.

Daisy has a gental dental (very blessed that our vet offers them) every 6 months and Pearl annually because of their ages.... Because of being so dilligent with Daisy's dentals she has all of her teeth and is 9 years old.

·
Registered
30 Posts
For those 3 elements, that's a bit less than I pay in Chicago. What I don't see on the estimate are the charges for extractions, x-rays (needed to see below the gum line), additional anesthesia if more than one extraction is needed, pain meds and antibiotics. These things that aren't listed on your estimate can really add up.
They will do the dental at the same time as her spay (which is covered in her shelter adoption fee, so she'll already be sedated for that). I am hoping for no extractions, but I'm thinking since her teeth are so bad there will be at least a couple.

The antibiotics are $40, and the pain meds are $10.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts