Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been working on training the fluffs to use pee pads instead of being outside trained and it's been going pretty good this time around. Right now i have two pens set up with a disposable pee pad in a tray so they can't tear it up and then a washable pee pad that covers the whole are that way if they miss the one there is the other. I put them in the are and set the timer for 15 minutes and if they have pooped then they can stay out if not back into their crate for 60 mintues and this is what we do all day and just rotate. My question is how do i get them to go into the potty area by themselves when they have to go? Instead they wait for the timer to go off and then i'll say ok Noelle lets get in the area. If they have to go before the timer goes off they will potty in the kitchen. There out because they pottied like they were supposed to and i try to keep an eye on them, but there are times i'm not apparently. Should i set the timer for less than 60 minutes? I'm not sure what to do and how to make it their idea to go in the designated area to go potty. They do well when placed in designated area , but just don't seem to get it that they can go in the area on their own to potty. We have been doing this going on three weeks now.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
I would not give more than 5 minutes MAX in the pen and you need to stand there and give a good reward and immediately release the dog. Every hour is a bit much for an adult dog. They should be able to hold it for 3-4 hours at least. Were you taking them out that frequently? Have they never learned to hold it?

·
Premium Member
8,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would not give more than 5 minutes MAX in the pen and you need to stand there and give a good reward and immediately release the dog. Every hour is a bit much for an adult dog. They should be able to hold it for 3-4 hours at least. Were you taking them out that frequently? Have they never learned to hold it?

Thanks Jackie, i was hoping you would post. I will give them 5 min. max and will have them go to designated area every 3-4 hours instead of every hour. The only one i had trouble with holding it was Reese the 6 year old retired girl i got and she has since learned to hold it during the night. I got a smaller crate and had no bedding in crate so she couldn't soil that. Thank you again.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
I will tell you what I do. I set a timer for 2 minutes. After that they go back for 20 minutes (though with baby puppies more like 10). And then I set my timer for the hours I decided. Yes, I keep a timer clipped to me. I make a point to have the same schedule every day. This helps teach the dogs to hold it and go on a schedule. When they are on that schedule strictly, I expand the time to a reasonable adult schedule. One thing I believe is essential is having the dog walk to the potty spot. How will they ever learn to go on their own if you always put them in there?
My adult pee pad trained dogs eventually go to their place on their own after a solid history of rewards and having them walk to the pen. My dogs that go outdoors sometimes don't alert because I simply go out on a schedule. It is truly easier for me to take them out at set times than to be sure I notice they have to go out. Roo, who has urinary problems, goes out 6 times a day.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts