Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vinny had a stomach upset last week that scared the heck out of me. I live in a remote area of Northern Ontario and have to travel over 2 hours to buy my premium dog and cat food. So I have decided to try and make his food. I have used chicken breasts, rice, cottage cheese and sweet potato (baby food). My sister suggested I try ground turkey, is this ok to use? I would like to boil it or should I fry it? I am vegetarian and don't know much about meat.
I have ordered a book called "Better Food for Dogs" from what I hear, hubby can eat the food from these recipes too.

Theresa

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Originally posted by tag@Sep 26 2004, 12:55 PM
Vinny had a stomach upset last week that scared the heck out of me.  I live in a remote area of Northern Ontario and have to travel over 2 hours to buy my premium dog and cat food.  So I have decided to try and make his food.  I have used chicken breasts, rice, cottage cheese and sweet potato (baby food).  My sister suggested I try ground turkey, is this ok to use?  I would like to boil it or should I fry it?  I am vegetarian and don't know much about meat. 
  I have ordered a book called "Better Food for Dogs"  from what I hear, hubby can eat the food from these recipes too.

Theresa
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=10016
[/QUOTE]

Check the baby food ingredients carefully. Many of them have added onion or onion powder, onion flavoring, onion juice, etc. Onions (and garlic to a lesser degree) toxic to dogs, especially small dogs such as Maltese. Also, most canned broths also have onion added. You might do better grinding your own meats fresh, then cooking them with a homemade broth (no onions please). If you decide to go this route, discuss supplementation with your vet.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I knew about the onion and it is the first thing I look for. This is all pure vegetable baby food (water is the only extra ingredient). It looks like i will have to buy the chicken breast, no such thing as ground in town. What about the dark meat or is that too fatty.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
our dogs have eaten for protien(also get this book Better food for dogs and cats)

salmon, turkey, beef, steak, hamburger, chicken, lobster, shrimp, beans, cottage cheese

Carbs:
rice, pasta, ravioli, potato

fruits and veggies (i use baby food too, its easy!)

anyway, that book is great and it tells you what vitamins to use and stuff.
and i've had our dogs on homecooked diets for almost a year and the vet said that our dogs look "perfect". :D i was happy.

if you're starting your dog on homecooked food---try boiled chicken breast at first with no skin.

oh, and never fry food. also limit salt and sugar. i make sure that all the food i give have no:

grapes, chocolate, onions, garlic, broccoli, avocado, and if theres something that you're not sure about, go to google and search "garlic dangerous" or "garlic bad for dogs" stuff like that.
OR, just ask on here and i'll search for you.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Originally posted by doctorcathy@Sep 27 2004, 09:05 AM
our dogs have eaten for protien(also get this book Better food for dogs and cats)

salmon, turkey, beef, steak, hamburger, chicken, lobster, shrimp, beans, cottage cheese

Carbs:
rice, pasta, ravioli, potato

fruits and veggies (i use baby food too, its easy!)

anyway, that book is great and it tells you what vitamins to use and stuff. 
  and i've had our dogs on homecooked diets for almost a year and the vet said that our dogs look "perfect".  :D  i was happy. 

if you're starting your dog on homecooked food---try boiled chicken breast at first with no skin. 

oh, and never fry food.  also limit salt and sugar.  i make sure that all the food i give have no:

grapes, chocolate, onions, garlic, broccoli, avocado, and if theres something that you're not sure about, go to google and search "garlic dangerous" or "garlic bad for dogs"  stuff like that. 
  OR, just ask on here and i'll search for you. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=10097
[/QUOTE]

Is broccoli bad? And also, how much garlic is bad?

I currently am feeding Abby a homemade meat dish of beef and it has a small amount of garlic in it (not much at all - you cant' even really smell it in the food, but it does say there is a little). It says that it is good for flea control. I have read that it is toxic in larger doses - but this is a professional home-made dog food service, looking after pets all over Queensland (the state I live in) - so they wouldn't have dangerous amounts in it or they would have sick pups everywhere.

This is the ingredients:

Meat - high in protein;
Meat meal - high in protein and calcium;
Bran - high in fibre;
Pollard - High in fibre;
Wheat Germ - high in fibre;
Calcium - for bone growth and teeth;
Kelp - wonderful for a shiny coat;
Garlic - help control fleas and heartworm;
vitamins - added extras.

I usually mix it with some rice and some baby veges - which are peas, brocolli and potato....??? She doesn't appear to have any problems with it??? I'm sure I read it was okay to give them broccoli....

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
anything in small amounts is ok for your dog. you dont really have to worry about garlic and broccoli in small amounts. you also wouldnt have to worry about onions and chocolate in small amounts.....thats why i dont give them garlic and broccolic because a lot of the stuff i've read doesnt give the amount thats toxic. i think a cup of onions would cause serious damage. something like that...but is that amount for a big dog or a small dog? you know?

i have given the dogs food where the last ingredients are garlic and salt. so dont worry about it.
like beef raviolis and stuff.
just make sure you are understanding how your dog looks and acts when shes healthy. like we noticed that all three of our dogs were acting tired before they started having bad diahhrea. (i had given them a large amount of sweet potato and they arent used to it). my mom thinks they have the flu or something though. but i dont know.

sounds like abbys meals are perfect though. make sure you give her a multi-vitamin everyday and look into if you need bonemeal. did you check out the book? its really really helpful. you'll see that a lot of the recipes say to add garlic. (we dont, just because im paranoid :ph34r: ). good luck, keep up the good work though.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Early, early, early in my career as a Maltese Slave, I was told not to give Pico turkey. The ingredient that makes humans sleepy (I forgot what it is) is toxic to small dogs.

??????????????

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
http://www.virtualvet.com/petowners/poisonfacts.htm#turkskin

http://www.starbreezes.com/11/foodsafe.html

http://www.vetinfo4dogs.com/dtoxin.html

that last one is a good site

this is what i've been going off of. i heard the turkey thing too, but theres dog food made out of turkey too. and i dont give any skin to our dogs. our mom takes off the skin and then cooks the meat.

thanks picos parent for bringing that up though.

merrick canned dog food came out with thanksgiving dinner

http://www.epetpals.com/cgi-bin/commerce.e...ey=022808216667

i think any of their canned dog food would be a great treat for your baby!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Since Lady is a diabetic, she has special diet needs and I have done quite a bit of research on home cooking. One thing I learned is that you shouldn't just whip up something on your own or it might not satisfy your dog's nutritional requirements. You have to add certain supplements, like bone meal, Vitamin E or C, for instance, depending on the recipe. The best thing to do is do a search on Amazon.com and get a good book on the subject. Both Dr. Pitcairn and Dr. Goldstein have excellent books.

One thing I did learn, home cooking is a chore, even for a little Maltese! I compromised and now feed her Natures Recipe Senior Lamb & Rice, which is a high fiber, high quality kibble (diabetics need the high fiber) mixed with fresh steamed veggies and cooked chooped meat. I avoid turkey because it can give them a bad upset tummy. I use ground chicken, lamb, very lean beef and I also buy salmon when it is on sale and bake it for her. She also gets scrambled eggs once and awhile, too.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Originally posted by tag@Sep 26 2004, 12:55 PM
Vinny had a stomach upset last week that scared the heck out of me.  I live in a remote area of Northern Ontario and have to travel over 2 hours to buy my premium dog and cat food.  So I have decided to try and make his food.  I have used chicken breasts, rice, cottage cheese and sweet potato (baby food).  My sister suggested I try ground turkey, is this ok to use?  I would like to boil it or should I fry it?  I am vegetarian and don't know much about meat. 
  I have ordered a book called "Better Food for Dogs"  from what I hear, hubby can eat the food from these recipes too.

Theresa
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=10016
[/QUOTE]

Hi Theresa, I am a vegetarian too :D. I feed my 2 malteses Daezie and Maya a vegetarian kibble, althought lately, they dont want to eat it even if I add baby vegetable foods so I'm looking into http://www.vegepet.com/index.html and I will be cooking their meals too.

Good luck with your search!

·
Registered
831 Posts
Doctorcathy, since you have your dogs in homecook diet for a while already.
How are their teeth? I read somewhere that kibble was better for dogs than softfood for their teeth because, when they chew on kibble it helps keep their teeth cleaned.

Thannks :D

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Hi!! well, i used to brush their teeth everyday...i've been bad about it. :ph34r: i do it around once a week now. and they're teeth are perfect. ellie is constantly chewing on bully sticks and sprite chews on them every once and a while---ellie doesnt have ANY tarter. sprite has a little bit(a LOT less than when she was on dog food). weird huh? and gruffi's teeth are clean too. he has no tarter. the vet saw them a few weeks ago--she said that all three of their teeth look great and the only problem she had with me is that i wasn't giving them a multi-vitamin everyday.

i know bully sticks sound nasty...but they're really good for their teeth. and i know they're expensive...but almost all of you have small dogs---they dont go through them that quickly. gruffi could eat half of one in 2 hours :wacko: . and they're around 2-3 feet long! lol.

i gave one to connie, the dog trainer, she has a chihuahua, and after two weeks, the chihuahua was only able to eat like 3 inches of it. lol. we go through 15($120) every 3 weeks---only because of gruffi. lol.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Doctorcathey, glad to hear their teeth are not bad at all.

I also dont brush their teeth every day :ph34r: but about 2 to 3 times per week.
I know the girls are up for teeth cleaning.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Peanut Butter and oat crunches </span>
1/4 cup honey
1 cup crunchy peanut butter
2 cups chicken broth or water
1/3 cup peanut oil 1 cup rolled oats
1 cup oat bran
3-4 cups oat flour

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 ° F (180 ° C).

In a small dutch oven or large saucepan, combine honey, peanut butter (try to find a brand that has no added suger, salt or other ingredients; ideally it should only contain peanuts), chicken broth, and peanut oil. Heat, stirring often, until mixture begins to simmer. Remove from heat. Stir in rolled oats and oat bran and let cool until lukewarm -- or cool enough to work with. Gradually blend in oat flour, adding enough to form a stiff dough.

Transfer to a floured (oat flour or rye flour) surface and knead until smooth (about 3-5 minutes). Shape the dough into a ball, and roll to 1/4-inch (6 mm) thick. Use a mini-cookie cutter or cut into small squares. Transfer to ungreased baking sheets, spacing them about 1/4 inch (6 mm) apart. Gather up the scraps, roll out again, and cut additional biscuits. If the dough becomes too crumbly to work with after a few rollings, sprinkle with a little water to bind it together and knead it for 30 seconds or so.

Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and turn over. Bake for an additional 30 minutes, or until golden brown on both sides. After you finish baking all batches of biscuits, turn off the oven, spread all the biscuits in one baking pan and set them in the oven to cool for a few hours or overnight. The extra time in the oven as it cools off helps make the treats crispier. These make a more delicate crunchy biscuit, so we use them more for special or training treats, not tartar control.

Makes several dozen small treats that keep and freeze well.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Harrys party pupcakes
1 large apple
1 1/2 cups wheat flour
1/4 cup oatmeal
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons honey 2 eggs
1 cup grated cheddar cheese

For the Frosting
8 oz Neufchatel Cheese (lowfat cream cheese)
2 tablespoons plain yogurt
2 tablespoons honey
2-3 tablespoons flour
chopped walnuts
grated carrots

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 ° F (200 ° C). Grease muffin tins.

Core, slice and mince the apple (use a food processor if you have one). Set aside. In a large bowl, mix together flour, oatmeal, baking powder, and baking soda. In a medium bowl, blend together the yogurt, water, oil, honey, and eggs, then stir in the apple and cheese. Add to the flour mixture and stir until mixed.

Spoon into the muffin tins, filling each cup about three-quarters full. Bake for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Let rest in the muffin tins for a few minutes, then remove and set aside to cool.

For the frosting, combine the Neufchatel cheese (at room temperature), honey, and yogurt until smooth. Add enough flour to thicken the frosting to a good spreading consistency. Frost the pupcakes, sprinkle them with chopped walnuts and top with raisins, and you're ready for a doggone good party!

Makes 16-18 pupcakes. If you prefer a single-layer cake, spoon the batter into a sheet pan and bake for an extra 15-20 minutes (or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean). Let the cake cool, then frost and decorate with walnuts and carrot shavings.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Okay, this might be a gross question, but how are the poops on the home cooked (not raw) diet? I homecooked for my previous dog because of health issues and his poos were always runny and nasty, (no matter what he ate). I now feed my two healthy pups kibble, and since they only go on wee pads in the house, it is really important that the poos are solid and easy to pick up with no clingers. I just feel bad always giving them kibble, even though I give them a variety of different ones, but i sure don't want a mess in the house!
Quincymom

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
the dogs poo is solid most of the time. if we introduce something new....then it gets a little soft, but formed....but their butt isnt dirty or anything. and we found out that they couldn't have eggs or cottage cheese because they would get diahhrea.

and before they could handle eggs and cottage cheese. its weird. and they also cant eat sweet potato....they got really sick with that.

with your dogs, just follow the book and you'll see what makes them sick or doesnt.
whats great is that they never get constipated...which i noticed with dog food. you know? and they seem more active. and their coat looks a little shinier and overall they're healthy. they dont have tearstains anymore(which would always make them look sickly).

good luck!!! you can always try it for a few months...and if you dont like it---then try something else. remember to slowly start them on plain chicken and rice in their dog food for a week.

we did that with my brothers dog and he had really soft stool for maybe 3 days and it got solid after that.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I had never heard of bully sticks before reading your post, Dr. Cathy, so perhaps you can imagine my surprise when I found out exactly what they were!

I am, however, interested in trying anything that's good for Tavish's teeth, so I think we'll try them. What size do you get for your dogs? Tav is pretty small, so I'm not sure what would be best for him. Also, is there any site in particular that I should purchase them from?
Thanking you in advance,
Cheryl

1 - 20 of 37 Posts