Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A bunch of my family members have web pages dedicated to their family and family happenings. I really like the idea, but don't particularly care for how their pages are set up. For example, my aunt's, you have to go through many pages before you get to her family. It is somehow linked through some server so it is free.

My question is, how do you go about setting one up? I would like it to be something simple such as www.nicholespage.com or something like that. How do I even start and how much does something like this run?

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by Nichole@Oct 10 2005, 04:35 PM
A bunch of my family members have web pages dedicated to their family and family happenings.  I really like the idea, but don't particularly care for how their pages are set up.  For example, my aunt's, you have to go through many pages before you get to her family.  It is somehow linked through some server so it is free.

My question is, how do you go about setting one up?  I would like it to be something simple such as www.nicholespage.com or something like that.  How do I even start and how much does something like this run?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=108156
[/QUOTE]
Do you have cable internet? My cable company (MediaCom) gives you are free webpage I think.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Originally posted by Nichole@Oct 10 2005, 05:35 PM
My question is, how do you go about setting one up?  I would like it to be something simple such as www.nicholespage.com or something like that.  How do I even start and how much does something like this run?
[/QUOTE]

prices differ, I sell domains on one of my sites for 12.00 per year, you can find them lower than that but you need to be careful of who actually takes ownership of the domain, it always needs to be in your name, you can get free webspace (like tripod.com) but usually you have to weed through alot of ads and popups but it is a good place to start learning, typically "real" hosting is going to cost you around 5.00 per month for a small website , some cheaper, some more

i would start off my doing some google research, search for HTML builders, building webpages, free site builders, etc, then move up to learning HTML code, find a free HTML web editor with a WYSIWYG editor "what you see is what you get", learn a little about FTP and so on

i started out years ago not knowing anything about the internet and have taught myself everything i know know, it just takes a little time, let me know if you have any questions, i'll be glad to help when i can

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi Joe,
could you email me some info on your hosting?
I have a free site now with my carrier, but would love to learn more about how to make and put our a better product.
I like to take new photos of my babies all the time.
thanks,
Cathy

prices differ, I sell domains on one of my sites for 12.00 per year, you can find them lower than that but you need to be careful of who actually takes ownership of the domain, it always needs to be in your name, you can get free webspace (like tripod.com) but usually you have to weed through alot of ads and popups but it is a good place to start learning, typically "real" hosting is going to cost you around 5.00 per month for a small website , some cheaper, some more

i would start off my doing some google research, search for HTML builders, building webpages, free site builders, etc, then move up to learning HTML code, find a free HTML web editor with a WYSIWYG editor "what you see is what you get", learn a little about FTP and so on

i started out years ago not knowing anything about the internet and have taught myself everything i know know, it just takes a little time, let me know if you have any questions, i'll be glad to help when i can
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=108186
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
486 Posts
I started my bow website with Yahoo geocities its free. They have very easy software so updating is really quick. I thougt it was a great place to start and learn. I recently upgraded to my own domain name by changing to geocities Pro. www.Sarahsdogbows.com because its better for business. Also When I upgraded I got a business email account more webspace plus tons of extra things I pay 8.95 a month kinda pricy but not bad. I also Loved the fact that my website info just got transfered over I was soooo worried I would have to start all over when I Upgraded my site.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Originally posted by CharmyPoo@Oct 10 2005, 11:33 PM
I have a hosting service and I won't mind hosting your page for free.  PM me and I can help you set it up.

GoDaddy is a very well known domain register and has been around for a long time.  They have a special deal right now.  I used them many times without any problems.

http://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/default.asp
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=108294
[/QUOTE]
I also use GoDaddy to register my domain names.. I also use them as a host and I've never really had any problems. Any issues that have come up were solved pretty quickly. I personally use FrontPage (I know, I know) to edit my pages just because I'm still learning HTML but it's pretty simple and straight forward.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I also use GoDaddy. I have my first and last name registered as a dot com, just so someone else won't use it! I don't have a site yet. I just got my renewal and it was only $27.60 for 3 years. They always send lots of notices leading up to the renewal time. They're excellent.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts