Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice from those of you who have boys. Kirby is the first male dog I have had around the house in a long time. I have noticed that he has an odor to him. I think it is from where he gets his hair wet when he pees. He does not lift his leg very much when he pee pees and it gets on him. Do I just need to wipe off that area everyday? The hair by his "male part" is discolored and tacky feeling. The hair is not more than 1 inch in length on his underside. Should I shave it there?

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Sampson used to have this problem, now i pretty much keep his underside to just below his front legs shaved, he used to pee on his own leg looong ago, at least he stopped that, now for some reason he wants to cock his leg on maggie while she is peeing

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Joe... lol

Kodie does this squat and he seems to get pee on his tiny little belly....i pretty much shave his underneath and his hair on his private areas.. hehe.. What i cant stand is when he pees on his pad... he ALMOST always STEPS in his pee as he runs off the pad!!

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sampson used to have this problem, now i pretty much keep his underside to just below his front legs shaved, he used to pee on his own leg looong ago, at least he stopped that, now for some reason he wants to cock his leg on maggie while she is peeing
[/B]
Okay. so maybe my problem is not so bad after all.
I guess I am going to have to shave him. I wonder how the people who show maltese deal with this problem with their males?

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Off the subject, but have you had any people interested in Kirby?

I'm surprised he's still available. Isn't he young and housebroken? Not to mention, cute!

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Off the subject, but have you had any people interested in Kirby?

I'm surprised he's still available. Isn't he young and housebroken? Not to mention, cute![/B]
I have not put him on Petfinder yet or he probably would be adopted. I have let a few people locally look at him but they all really want females. He does not show very well either. I may just have to keep him here. Darn!
He actually lickd my husband's hand last night. We were all shocked. Usually he just barks at him.
It is like you said in another post.........People only want the "easy ones". I have a lady waiting on maltese younger than one year and female.
She has a long waith ahead of her because those rarely exist in rescue. Kirby has blended well in my household and I don't mind keeping him as long as it takes. He LOVES my Chloe. You should see how he stresses if he can't find her. It's true love

Sorry about all the typing mistakes. I was talking to my daughter and typing at the same time. Bad idea.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Sounds like Kirby may have already found his forever home!

I have spoken to a few people who run Maltese rescue groups and both say how few of the people who contact them actually end up adopting. Some aren't approved, of course, but most seem to think they can get a young "perfect" dog at a bargain price through rescue. The young adoptable ones are usually spoken for before they even get to rescue.

You've got another older gal there, too, don't you?

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like Kirby may have already found his forever home!

I have spoken to a few people who run Maltese rescue groups and both say how few of the people who contact them actually end up adopting. Some aren't approved, of course, but most seem to think they can get a young "perfect" dog at a bargain price through rescue. The young adoptable ones are usually spoken for before they even get to rescue.

You've got another older gal there, too, don't you?[/B]
I have had 2 older maltese since Kirby and have found great homes for both of them. Both of them were much more social. I have been selective about who gets to meet Kirby.

Look at these pictures of a poodle I got from the same mill. The before pic should even be worse because I shaved her face before the picture was taken. I wasn't sure if there were eyes underneath the mats. She got the most awesome home ever! She is 6 and weighs 4.9 lbs. Several people wanted her. You know.... the smaller they are, the faster they go.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts