Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help me decide. I have always had female dogs for one reason only. They don't cock their leg and mark their spot all over the place. Now comes the delema.

I have found a breeder who has a litter of puppies to be born the end of May. I have this fear the mom will only have one sex.

Please give me input on males or females. I am torn on what to do.

This will be my first Maltese.

Thanks
Connie

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Brinkley has NEVER hiked his leg (knock on wood!).
We had him neutered right around 6 months. He doesn't squat like a girl...he just kind stands on all four and spreads his back legs out...

I was worried about this with a male too..but I think several have said that if you neuter them early enough it USUALLY prevents it. I know some have said if they started it right before neutering, that it sometimes stopped after too.
Seems like JMM said it could be taken care of with behavior modification too...but I am not sure.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Well, when I was looking for my next companion I was positive I wanted a female for the same reason you mentioned...and then my daughter said..."mom, every dog you have ever truly loved has been male". When I thought about it she was absolutely correct.

I have said this other times but it needs repeating here...males are in love with you...females will only love you! I have found this to be true with my Teddy also...he is totally in love with me...follows my every move and adores me whatever I do. Others have said the same thing when we talk about it...I am not sure why but it seems that males are more loving...

As for the hiking of the leg...Teddy started it just before he was to be neutered...and I knew it was time...he still will lift his leg outside on a tree...but not inside and not even all the time outside. More like what tlunn said...he spread his legs really wide...funny the other day he was so confused because he must have had hair that changed the stream and it hit his front leg...he looked at me like what happened...of course mom took him in and cleaned it up...he hates to be dirty in any way.

Go for the male...you won't be sorry.

S

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
From what I have read from male Maltese owners on various forums over the years, marking does seem to be a problem with male Maltese. I have read that marking can become an obsessive behavior in toy breed males. Early neutering, not letting him be around other male dogs so he can copy the behavior, etc. can help prevent it, but there is no guarentee. Bottom line is that if marking would be an intolerable behavior for you, it's probably best to stick with a female.

On the other hand ......

Males make the best pets:

Males do make the best pets! They are more loving, more willing to please, devoted, and they are usually very tolerant and train very fast. A male keeps a more beautiful coat at all times (Lassie was a male dog on the TV show rather than a female because of this fact). Males cost less to neuter; generally males initial price is less than a female. Males should be neutered at 4 and not more than 5 months of age to make the best pets (they need to be neutered BEFORE they know they are a male and start doing the “marking of territory” that they will do BECAUSE they are a male - neutering at this young age takes that away from them and should prevent starting to mark territory).

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
I have the two boys and they have never raised thier legs or marked.I will have to side on males being more loveing.Lamby loves me but its on her terms and when she wants it,the boys on the other hand are very loving all the time.I have found this to be so true through the years with different pets.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I have 2 boys. Tic is still just a pup, but Peanut never marked. When he pees he just stands with his back legs a little further apart and goes. Peanut was neutered at 6 months.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Pico has marked indoor only once in his 4+ years and that was when we visited my daughter who had recently acquired a cocker spaniel puppy. The puppy was not there the weekend we visited but Pico walked in the house sniffed a bit and then walked straight over to her living room drapes an lifted his leg and peed on them! I was shocked speechless because I had NEVER seen him lift his leg like that (he kind of spreads his back legs out and then lifts one leg slightly when peeing. He does also lift one leg when pooing and that's a sight because he is squating and lifting at the same time
)

He was neutered at 8 months and is a real cuddle-bug, so I say go for a boy unless you just HAVE to buy frilly clothes and bows!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I think I read somewhere that females can mark and lift their legs. The latter is true because I have seen myself in park (a little cute female maltese did lift her leg when she peepeed)!! So, I think it depends on personality of the pup, maybe more than sex?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Unaltered females DO exhibit marking behavior. My mentor has 2 girls who mark more than her stud dogs do! I don't know why the boys are the ones who get the bad rap on marking when the girls can be just as bad. I guess it's one more good reason to spay/neuter your pet.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I have two boys and two girls. Waffle never ever lifts his legs but Nibbler does. However, I think if you neteur them early enough - they may never develop this habit.

The thing is... I still feel that my girls are overall cleaner than my girls. Some say boys are more loving but I really can't tell a difference. My girls are very attached to me and I just love them like crazy. My Waffle is a love bug too!

Either way .. it is really personal preference and the dog's individual personality. Wait for the litter and see who you fall in love with.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I think this is all just very subjective. To really prove to me that boys mark more than girls, I would like to see some statistics, looking at a whole lot of dogs. I can tell you that our 2 yr old boy doesn't mark at all (never has) but does lift his leg outside (never inside) - and besides what does it matter if he lifts his leg outside (which some females also do)? Is it only the unneutered dogs that mark - in which case unspayed girls probably are worse than fixed girls too? But this is my personal experience and he is our first dog and was neutered at 6.5 or 7 months old. As far as being cleaner, it probably depends on whether the dog is allowed to go outside. I have certainly seen female maltese get dirty (from rubbing on grass, running, etc) in parks and on our daily walks.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks so much everyone for all your input.

I see now that both male and female are loving little fur balls and either would make a wonderful family member.

I am so anxious to have a new addition to this family. Seeing all the pictures and hearing you all talk about your little ones makes me so happy.

I can't wait to be able to join in with all of you as we chatter about our little ones.

Thanks again,
Connie

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Because my dogs are used for breeding, they are not altered. It's a hiking contest around here.
The females can be just as bad as the male. Only difference is that he will raise his leg higher and mark at a different level. I love them all.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Kodie only tries to "mark" when he goes into the main part of the house where my old dog used to be all the time. He probably is "marking" because he smells my old dog. Other than that... he never marks... so you should be fine if there isnt a territory issue. I bought belly bands to help train him to stop "marking"... they seemed to work.
I would agree though... when I go to Kodie's breeders home.. the male dogs are soo friendly!! (sorry to those with females.. haha.. i'm sure NOT ALL females are unfriendly) Kodie's aunt is weird... shes friendly to me... but has this horrible temper to the other dogs. She growls all the time. The male dogs are cuddle freaks and are all over the house. haha.. but you know what.. every dog is different.. and the sex alone will not help.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Jack 14 months old and he does not lift his leg at all. He spreads his back legs and leans forward a bit, just like a pointer. Jack was neutered at 4 months. I only did that cause he was bigger, he is now about 16 pounds. Not fat, just big, with long legs. Jill is 4 months and she is not spayed yet. She is small 3 pounds 11 ounces. I don't want to have her fixed yet cause I feel she is too small. She lifts her leg to pee, but it really doesn't go anywhere cause she is low to the ground.

As far as temperment. Jack is very loving. He always wants to be held, not just on my lap, but like a baby on my hip. He even puts his head on my shoulder. He follows me everywhere, even if he is in a dead sleep. Jill on the other hand does not like to cuddle, she will sit on my lap at times but prefers the floor. She follows Jack around the house. So I guess I would say that males are more loving. But I am kinda glad, cause I can't baby both of them at once.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts