Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Those of you that have or have had both, either simultaneously or at different times, have you noticed differences in personality, levels of affection, independence, trainability, etc...?

Registered
I used to always say females were way sweeter and more loving, based on a limited number of male and female Maltese I fostered. However, I then met a male who was abolutely the stereotypical "I'll do anything for you" male that people talk about. My attitude completely changed! So, when it comes to levels of affection, I would say it is an individual thing. When it comes to training, most Maltese I see in the performance world are males because as a rule they are easier to train for obedience, rally, tricks, etc. But as a pet, that might not matter to you. Older males can be harder to housebreak, but if you're getting a 12 week old puppy, you'll be fine. My advice is to have the breeder choose you a sturdy, confident, outgoing Maltese of either sex.

Reactions: jsbrook

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
I used to always say females were way sweeter and more loving, based on a limited number of male and female Maltese I fostered. However, I then met a male who was abolutely the stereotypical "I'll do anything for you" male that people talk about. My attitude completely changed! So, when it comes to levels of affection, I would say it is an individual thing. When it comes to training, most Maltese I see in the performance world are males because as a rule they are easier to train for obedience, rally, tricks, etc. But as a pet, that might not matter to you. Older males can be harder to housebreak, but if you're getting a 12 week old puppy, you'll be fine. My advice is to have the breeder choose you a sturdy, confident, outgoing Maltese of either sex.
Thanks. Tricks probably not so important for us with this dog, but mastery of general commands, yes. I'd think females would still master their basic commands? Females of many breeds are often more independent and stubborn but still trainable.

Premium Member
YES! Female maltese very trainable.
I am proud to say Abella is much more than just a "pretty face". When she was a puppy I took her to Small dog training 1, 2, and 3 plus "tricks" Classes. Of coarse one has to follow-up with lots of review/work at home.
She has mastered:
Come, sit, stay, down, up, leave it, no bark, go to bed, mat, crate, get your toy, no, shake, paw, no lick, kiss, hurry-up (to pee/poop on request), outside, leash, water, treat, roll over, lets play, dance...........and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few more she knows. I have never had a male to compare her with but as far as I'm concerned she is awesome and I love to show her skills/training off wherever I go with her. So many tell me she is better behaved/trained than most peoples children. Yes, I'm a proud mommy!....and I like to brag a bit! lol!

Premium Member
I should add that Abella is VERY treat/food motivated and that really helped in training her!
馃憤 馃槉

Reactions: zooeysmom

Registered
Why am I not surprised that Abella is so well trained? This girl is simply perfect! But then again, you are the best mom who has put a ton of time and love into her.

Jbrooks, I 100% agree with your assessment that females are more stubborn and independent as a general rule. There are plenty of exceptions, though :D

Reactions: jsbrook

Registered
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
YES! Female maltese very trainable.
I am proud to say Abella is much more than just a "pretty face". When she was a puppy I took her to Small dog training 1, 2, and 3 plus "tricks" Classes. Of coarse one has to follow-up with lots of review/work at home.
She has mastered:
Come, sit, stay, down, up, leave it, no bark, go to bed, mat, crate, get your toy, no, shake, paw, no lick, kiss, hurry-up (to pee/poop on request), outside, leash, water, treat, roll over, lets play, dance...........and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few more she knows. I have never had a male to compare her with but as far as I'm concerned she is awesome and I love to show her skills/training off wherever I go with her. So many tell me she is better behaved/trained than most peoples children. Yes, I'm a proud mommy!....and I like to brag a bit! lol!
Good stuff. Beautiful and smart and obedient. A good combo. I think a girl maltese might be best for us anyway as the first dog is male and the second before the maltese is likely to be as well. But we want a trainable dog and even moreso hope for a cuddler in the Maltese that loves being in human laps and hope that the breeder has enough of a handle on personalities at that young age to make that happen.

Premium Member
We are a all girl house here. My previous maltese who was a boy was not nearly as affectionate as my girls. My three girls now is like living in a comedy show. Fun, funny and affectionate. My boy dogs, regardless of breed were not.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts