Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what ever breed I get I would like a female. but I hear males are more cuddly, and better companians. what do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Milisajean,

When I went to get Teddy I said that I was looking for a female...my daughter looked at me and said "why Mom, all the dogs you loved above and beyond were male". Wow, she was right, my parents had dogs my whole life and every single one was female, but when I grew up and went on my own...we went to the pound and adopted Jessie - a mutt (male, who just passed away 1.5 years ago, jessie lived with my aunt and uncle after my husband died because they had a yard and my life and I had to get a condo with no yard and it would have killed Jessie not to have a yard to call his own) Sammie - a pure breed Yorkie (also passed away, who I adored because he was a snuggler...but also because he made me laugh almost every day and boy did I need that)

And so it has come to pass that Teddy is now the proud owner of me. He is also a male and yes is very snuggly, even more so than Sammie. I have said before that a female will love you...but a male will be in love with you. I have found this to be true repeatedly. I hope that helps.

Susan

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Bella is a girl and as cuddly as can be. I think it really is more of a personality issue, not at all related to gender. In the past, I had both female and male dogs. Just like us, I think they have days when they are snuggly and all over you, and days when they might want a little alone time. However, from what I have seen of this breed, they LOVE to cuddle, and there is no other place Bella would rather be than with me.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Personally, I prefer females but that's mainly because they seem to fit in with my personality better. Males, in my opinion, are more affectionate and require more of your one on one attention. The females don't seem to need as much one on one attention all of the time. Some hugs and kisses here and there seem to do them just fine. I seem to function the same way. Some lovin here and there is great but to smother me with it would drive me crazy.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
It used to be I favored only males,as I really believed they were the "lovers" of the two. Then after having females and males after many years Ive decided that its just the individual dog,cat. .I believe now its their personalites and how they are treated as to how loving they are!

·
Registered
776 Posts
I thought I wanted a girl too, but when I met Jack I knew that a male pup would suit me just fine! He snuggles and loves me like crazy!

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
i also think that it depends on the individual dog.

lucy's a cuddler, and she's definitely not male haha.

i personally prefer females coz they're just more fun (in my opinion) to take care of and dress up, etc.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I am getting a girl...soley because I want a girl

I am a mom of two boys and I love them dearly and I am not having any more children but if I knew without a shadow of a doubt 120 percent sure I would have a girl I would have another one tomorrow...but there are no guarentees and I would have the third boy

So i am getting my girl the doggie route. I am such a girly girl i want to dress her, tote her and hair bows out the wazoo. This is the only reason I chose a girl over a boy I thought it was time that this house had a SECOND Diva living here

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Me too i prefer female. Chesley is calm and cuddely and fit with my personality.
Weather you deside on a male or female explan to the breeder what you are looking for in a pet and some of your personality traits. They can help you pick out the best pet to match your personality. Our breader did that for us.
chester does give hugs too but he runns to you jumps in your face with a kiss and dashes off.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
We have a girl, and honestly, I really think the personality of the dog is far more important than the sex of the animal. It just turns out that we've only had female pets, but not by choice, but by chance.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
It used to be I favored only males,as I really believed they were the "lovers" of the two. Then after having females and males after many years Ive decided that its just the individual dog,cat. .I believe now its their personalites and how they are treated as to how loving they are!

Well I always had females, I had two female Dobermans at different times and they were delightful and very cuddly. I then later adopted a Rottie, male, and he was adorable, cuddly ( I loved his bear hugs on the sofa). Now I have the cuddly king, Scooby, male. I have to say that in most instances it is all in the upbringing, you give love and it is returned twofold from a Maltese, or any breed for that matter. I guess what I am trying to say is give love and you get it back no matter what gender.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Originally posted by melissajean@Jun 17 2005, 10:42 AM
thanks guys. I keep hearing that females can be, well umm they have mood swings, lets put it that way lol
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=73389
[/QUOTE]
well, if you dont spay your female it might get into mood swings but I dont see any behavioral differences between males and females if you fix them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts