Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some good advise. I got a call from Malitdas breeder tonight, she took her down to finish her shots, she had a reaction to them. Matilda has had a upper respitory infection for 3 weeks, the breeder said she still has a cough when she plays. She will be 12 weeks old on the 16th. She took her in to get her health certificate to fly on the plane tomorrow. She called and said it was up to me. I told her to send her, but after I got off the phone my husband said maybe she will be a sick dog all her life. I get so mixed up with my feelings. She will be on her meds. for 2 more weeks,and their vet said she will probaly have the cough another 2 or so weeks. Did I make a mistake. Should I call her tonight and tell her to :new_Eyecrazy: keep Malitda longer? Should I ask for my money back? I need your opinions. I have never had a Maltese before. I have had cockapoos all my life. Will she be a sickly dog? advise please

·
Registered
489 Posts
Flying is stressful enough for a pup. Not being completly well will only add to her stress. I know it's hard but it doesn't sound like a wise choice to have her flown at this point. I don't think the breeder should have put the burden of choice upon you at all. It should never be an option to ship a pup that's not 100% healthy. I'm not trying to be harsh but I'm very suprised that your breeder would consider it.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Gosh, this is really difficult... I feel for you... I truly do. I am surprised the breeder would want to ship a sick puppy. My breeder was adamant that she couldn't guarantee that Catcher was going to come home to me on the planned day until the day before when he had his checkup. And I made sure there were about two weeks after his shots before he took his flight.

The shots put a strain on their immune system so with her having just had the shots, plus the reaction, and then the stress of flying.... well, it just seems too much for her, to me.

You may want to reconsider taking this puppy. My vet has said that it is best not to give them antibiotics when their immune systems are just "learning" how to function. But of course, if she has a bad infection, there is no choice. My concern is that will this make her immune system less likely to be "tip top" in the future. I just recall with Rosebud, my first Maltese.... she got antibiotics early and it could just be a coincidence but she caught something just about every week.... it was incredible.

So, I may know just enough to be "dangerous", as the saying goes, but I wanted to share all I did know... I assume you have a vet already. If it were me, I would have my vet speak with the puppy's vet and then ask your vet what she/he would recommend regarding whether or not to rescind the sale.

It seems to me that if this puppy coughs when she plays, she is not 100% well and in my opinion this plus just getting her shots, etc. she should not fly.

I am so sorry you're having to go through the heartache of this.....

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
If I were the breeder (or new owner) there is no way that pup would be shipped at this time. I would not want one on the plane that soon after getting shots. I've never had kennel cough, but I know it can linger on. My friend had one shipped to her with it, and she had problems with that pup and the cough for months.

·
Premium Member
24,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I EMAILED MY BREEDER AND TOLD HER NOT TO SEND MALITDA, SOMEHOW I HAVE LOST HER PHONE NUMBER. I AM SO UPSET. I HOPE SHE GETS THE EMAIL AND REPLYS SOON. I DON'T KNOW WHY I JUST DIDN'T TELL HER TO KEEP HER THERE. I AM SO STUPID. I AM SO GRATEFUL TO HAVE YOU ALL. YOU HAVE HELPED ME SO MANY TIMES. THANK YOU. IF YOU HAVE ANY OTHER ADVISE FOR ME FEEL FREE. I NEED YOU ALL

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by MALITDA@Jun 13 2005, 09:39 PM
I EMAILED MY BREEDER AND TOLD HER NOT TO SEND MALITDA, SOMEHOW I HAVE LOST HER PHONE NUMBER. I AM SO UPSET. I HOPE SHE GETS THE EMAIL AND REPLYS SOON. I DON'T KNOW WHY I JUST DIDN'T TELL HER TO KEEP HER THERE. I AM SO STUPID. I AM SO GRATEFUL TO HAVE YOU ALL. YOU HAVE HELPED ME SO MANY TIMES. THANK YOU. IF YOU HAVE ANY OTHER ADVISE FOR ME FEEL FREE. I NEED YOU ALL
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=72344
[/QUOTE]

Bless your heart......

Can you try to find the number on the internet... try Anywho.com. You can find most phone numbers anywhere in the U.S. on this site and it's free.

·
Premium Member
24,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, I am so glad you told me to use the web, because i remembered she has a web sight, so i got her number and called her. we had a bgood talk. she won't be sending malitda tomorrow. now i am going to call my vet tomorrow and get her advise, so when th breeder calls tomorrow afternoon i will then beable to make that decision. i have feel in love with malitda, but if i have to give her up at least i never got to hold her. i feel so sad tonight

·
Premium Member
24,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just wanted to thank all of you for your advise again. it was very hard for me to walk away from that little furbaby. i contacted 3 vets who all told me that kennel cough is nothing to mess with. Apparently there are 2 different kinds of upper respitory infections, and wouldn't you know when I called the breeder my puppy had the bordella kind, I didn't want to take the chance getting her and having her give something to my 10 year old cockapoo who has conjestive heart failure. I couldn't believe how attached I had gotten to that puppy. I spent a few days crying. The breeder was so kind and understanding. I have now started the whole process over again looking for my furbaby. thanks everyone,

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by MALITDA@Jun 19 2005, 09:39 PM
I just wanted to thank all of you for your advise again. it was very hard for me to walk away from that little furbaby. i contacted 3 vets who all told me that kennel cough is nothing to mess with. Apparently there are 2 different kinds of upper respitory infections, and wouldn't you know when I called the breeder my puppy had the bordella kind, I didn't want to take the chance getting her and having her give something to my 10 year old cockapoo who has conjestive heart failure. I couldn't believe how attached I had gotten to that puppy. I spent a few days crying. The breeder was so kind and understanding. I have now started the whole process over again looking for my furbaby. thanks everyone,

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=73907
[/QUOTE]

Gosh, you definitely did the right thing!! I hate to ask but do you think your cockapoo will be OK with a new puppy?

·
Premium Member
24,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ask my vet what she thought, and she said that it would make him feel younger and he would probaly live longer. I thought and prayed alot about getting another furbaby, Muffy is a one man dog and that is my husbands. I have needed a furbaby to love it's almost a year since I lost my Annie. By the way I want to thank you personally because it was your email about the immune system, that scared me enough to back out. I sure hope I can find another. I have everything for a furbaby, just not the furbaby.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by MALITDA@Jun 19 2005, 10:23 PM
I ask my vet what she thought, and she said that it would make him feel younger and he would probaly live longer. I thought and prayed alot about getting another furbaby, Muffy is a one man dog and that is my husbands. I have needed a furbaby to love it's almost a year since I lost my Annie. By the way I want to thank you personally because it was your email about the immune system, that scared me enough to back out. I sure hope I can find another. I have everything for a furbaby, just not the furbaby.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=73927
[/QUOTE]

I see... it should probably be OK then if your husband is bonded to Muffy. I had wanted to get another when my Rosebud was 10 and had CHF but thought she would freak out because she did not like other dogs to come in our house. But I am the only human here so it would have been a different situation from yours.

I sure hope you will find your baby!!! I can't recall... what area of the country are you in?

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I tend to agree with K&C's mom about waiting to add a new puppy anyway. My first vet had a hard and fast rule about getting a second dog before the older one was 5 or 6. He said after that it wasn't fair to the first dog and too stressful. He said once a dog was officially a senior he had earned the right to enjoy his remaining years without being bothered by a puppy.

So maybe this was a blessing in disguise? How about just enjoying whatever time you have left with your Cockapoo and postponing your search for a Maltese?

·
Premium Member
24,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I live in washington state in the summers and in arizona till march, then travel some. I would be more concerned about Muffy but he was raised with his sister Annie for 9 years, he really misses her. That's why I talked with my vet. We will see if I find another. Our Muffy looks similar (in the face) to some of the larger Maltese. What state are you from?

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
How about adopting an adult dog from a reputable breeder? Maybe a momma who is being retired?

That way Muffy would have a companion, but not have to put up with puppy antics in his "golden years"? Puppies are always "on" and it's hard for an older guy to get his much needed rest! They just don't respect their elders and can really annoy and stress a senior citizen like Muffy.

·
Premium Member
24,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's a good idea, i am open to whatever God has for me. What state are you in? how old is your furbaby? Do yu have more then one?

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by MALITDA@Jun 20 2005, 12:38 PM
I live in washington state in the summers and in arizona till march, then travel some. I would be more concerned about Muffy but he was raised with his sister Annie for 9 years, he really misses her. That's why I talked with my vet. We will see if I find another. Our Muffy looks similar (in the face) to some of the larger Maltese. What state are you from?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=74056
[/QUOTE]

Muffy's situation is totally different from Rosebud's. If he was raised with another dog then he probably does want a companion. I like Marj's idea of getting an adult Malt.. . That sounds perfect to me!!

·
Registered
144 Posts
I "WOULD NOT" fly her yet!!! Kennel cough can heavily congest herb chest. Let the little baby heal. It can recur easily.
Jellybn1

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Originally posted by MALITDA@Jun 20 2005, 12:29 PM
That's a good idea, i am open to whatever God has for me. What state are you in? how old is your furbaby? Do yu have more then one?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=74072
[/QUOTE]

I am in North Carolina. I just have my sweet Lady. I adopted her as an adult, at age 4&1/2 so I am partial to adult dogs. Lady will be 10 sometime this year.

Hopefully Dhodina will jump in here. She just adopted her Tundar from a show breeder a few months ago.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts