Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Oh no yesterday I noticed the pee pad smelled really fishy and back in March she had a UTI and it smelled the same way. This morning she would not get out of bed to come greet me:w00t: I'm worried she has a UTI again. I just gave her watered down chicken broth, then watered down tsp. of yougurt and a vitamin C. I'm just so worried. I want her to get as much fluids as possible but she will be home alone today cause I will be out til 2pm. 2 days ago I gave her Merrick canned "smothered chicken:" and she had diahreea and now for the past 2 weeks she has been eating Acana Pacifica. I'm always rotating foods this is not her only kibble that she gets. I hope it is not food related.
She only came out to eat this morning and is back in bed:blink:

·
Premium Member
2,210 Posts
I would definitely ring your vet when you get back home this afternoon if your baby still isn't herself. If it's an UTI again, she will need to be seen for antibiotics. Your vet may recommend putting her on a bland diet of boiled chicken or hamburger and rice until things get straightened out. I can rotate a couple of formulas within a brand, but, I have to start slowly and even then, I have to be pretty careful about it. Or, Josey esp. will have tummy/bowel issues. Keep us posted. :)

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
i would take her in and take in a urine sample

if she is getting recurring uti has there been crystals in urine if so have you had blood work or bats done?

if too high of protein in food it could be causing crystals and triggering uti issues.

Isn't acana high in protein?

also are you using low sodium broth as high sodium is not good for these little ones kidneys

I think it is ester C that is used with uti issues

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
That fishy smell can also be anal glands. Also very painful and needs treatment right away. Hope she is feeling better soon!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am so confused

I got home at 1:30pm and every time I come through the door she runs to greet me but this time she did not and I found her curled up in her bed. I wanted to see how she was doing so I picked her up and she seemed "sad". :blink: Almost depressed....can it be?
She had not touched her food. I called out to her cause I bought her a new dental treat today and she ran and was jumping all over me. She was so excited. The pee pad had urine and it was pretty clear with no fishy smell. I'm absolutely shocked:w00t: I even took her for a walk and she was pulling the leash as usual and very bouncy.
Can maltese get depressed?
She had UTI symptoms this morning but she seems just fine now. I am even more confused than ever:unsure:

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Yes animals have feelings and can feel saddness. But since she hasn't touched her food, I would take her in to the vet and make sure everything is alright. These little ones are so small that things can go downhill very quickly!

Keep us updated!

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
I would have her anal glands checked, Edgar smells fishy when he has problems with them. I also do not think they hurt all the time, he is very bothered after a BM.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts