Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if this is a malt vs. non-malt problem or if it's a dogs-in-general no matter the breeds problem...

YoYo has become quite bossy. He is a mix, a rescue, he's around 30 lbs (see in my siggie). He's always been an attention monger--as in if I'm giving Ollie some love he will come over and shove himself in the way, etc. But recently, for example, if I tell one of them to go to the kitchen YoYo will run and get there first, and try to block Ollie from the doorway! Last night at bedtime he did the same thing when entering the bedroom! And his attention mongering has become more bullyish to the point if I'm spending time with Ollie he will try to grab my hands with his mouth (mouthing, not biting me) to move my hands away, etc.

Poor Ollie. I'm not sure what to do. YoYo doesn't seem to be guarding food, so that's at least a good thing--I wouldn't want to be worrying about Ollie getting squeezed out of that and have to feed them separately, etc.

BTW we have had YoYo for just over a year now. Otherwise he is a total sweetheart.

Any suggestions?? I realize this is a dominance thing, but not sure if I should be doing something about it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm hoping someone has an answer for both of us. My Toby, a malt, does exactly the same thing whenever his friend, a mini Schnauzer, comes to play. Toby insists on all the attention..it's me, me, me!

·
Premium Member
11,148 Posts
It does seem like YoYo is a bit aggressive with his "me-first" attitude. Hannah is my little attention hog. She's not near that bad though. If I try to give Boo some one on one lovin,she will insert herself between us, flop over on her back & paw the air for a bellyrub,sometimes laying partly on Boo. If we go to the fridge for a greenbean or carrot,she jumps in front of him,being so frisky that he backs up & lets her have her way. At bedtime she wants to be first in bed(they both sleep with us). I don't really worry about it. I always make sure Boo gets the greenbean or carrot first,even though he's standing behind Miss Frisky Butt,who is spinning & prancing & almost climbing into the fridge in her attemps to be first. I take turns at bedtime,putting Boo in bed first & next night Hannah goes first. As for hogging the petting, Hannah gets way more than her share because she seems to need it & want it more,but when Boo does want some special loving,I just ignore Hannah & she will get the message. Boo's never been one to be alpha & Hannah really isn't either,but with Boo's "let her have her way" attitude,she will take advantage of the situation. She's so sweet & cute & lovable about it though, we all just work around it. They do get along beautifully,so I'm thinking it's all ok. Now if she were to be as forceful as YoYo(blocking the doorway) seems to be,then I'd be a bit concerned about it. I don't think it's a Malt vs nonMalt thing,since mine are both Malts.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
I can relate to part of your situation, as when I go down the stairs to the main floor, London always runs down ahead of me, and Preston always follows behind me (my little lover boy), and London will wait for him to come down and play-attack him. He hates it most of the time, so to solve it, I usually command her to "back" (back up) several feet from the stairs to give him space to move where he wants before she tries to get him.

I would try and work with YoYo on the blocking the doorway issue, as it COULD potentially turn into something more serious in the future. I would probably either restrain YoYo until Ollie is in the kitchen first, or when YoYo gets to the kitchen (or other doorway where he blocks), put him in a sit-stay, down-stay, etc until Ollie enters the room. You can also do what I do and block YoYo from going after Ollie. Perhaps using a leash on YoYo during this would be helpful.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts