Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! I have a beautiful maltese on the way and would like to know that I have everything in place for when he arrives! Is there anything that a Maltese specificly requires? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Food and water bowls
Food- You might want to find out what food he is on and continue that or choose a new one
Bed
Crate
Name Tag
Collar/Harness
Leash
Grooming Supplies
Dental Kit
Toys
Baby Gate for staircases/etc
Puppy playpen

I cant really think of anything else. Maltese need there hair and teeth brushed daily. Get you puppy use to you brushing his teeth. It becomes alot harder if you wait.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! I have most of that already (though thank you for remindning me of a tag as I am yet to purchase!), but I am struggling to know what to buy for grooming. I want to make the time to groom daily from very young as I intend to keep his coat long. Any tips of what tools to use? Will I need to change them as he gets older? It's a whole new world!

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Thank you! I have most of that already (though thank you for remindning me of a tag as I am yet to purchase!), but I am struggling to know what to buy for grooming. I want to make the time to groom daily from very young as I intend to keep his coat long. Any tips of what tools to use? Will I need to change them as he gets older? It's a whole new world!
A quality brush is important, and even more important if you intend to keep him in full coat. You will need a pin brush that does not have the little balls on the tips of the pins. Many of us use "Madan" or "#1 All Systems" pin brushes. A buttercomb/greyhound comb is also a necessity, I use the kind that has narrow teeth on one end and wider-set teeth on the other end. You will not want to use a slicker brush of any kind, as it will split and pull the hair, and you will never get a dog in full coat that way! :) A high quality grooming spray will also be helpful, but you may use water in a spray bottle if you choose to. You should brush a coat out with some sort of moisture on the hair.

You may want to purchase Nutri-Cal for when your puppy arrives, it is good to give them during the first couple of weeks that you have him home to keep him from becoming hypoglycemic.

Oh, one item you might want to purchase for grooming is Spa Lavish Facial Scrub. It is a facewash that really does a wonderful job keeping their face clean. You can wash his face daily if needed, or every few days. Most Maltese puppies go through tear staining at least for a while. Using the Spa Lavish helps lighten the staining (if any), and makes their faces smell soooo wonderful! :) I use a baby washcloth to wash their faces without getting their entire bodies wet! Either a flea comb or a toothbrush made for human babies works well for combing out the yuckies around their eyes.

Have you decided on a name yet? When will you get to bring him home? I just love the little boys, they are so affectionate and loving. :)

·
Registered
10,743 Posts
I use the Madan brush too,the pink one,no balls on the ends of the pins is important. Also look for Cowboy Majic ,it's a horse grooming body shine spray,helps keep the coat somewhat slick,great for those little poos that like to cling to the bumm fur. We call them "hitch hikers".
We water it down to 50% in a spray bottle. We also use a comb ,to get down to the skin. I use a little peroxide on a Q tip to clean off eye boogies,to help break down the protiens and yeast that cause tear stains.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Great lists so far!
Also nail clippers, a blanket or toy that smells like your pup's mom (if possible), camera and memory card to take tons of pics, Vet phone numbers on hand, potty pads, teething toys, training treats, towel for drying after the bath, etc...

Congrats on your upcoming arrival! :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow thank-you everyone, so helpful! I have already purchased the wrong brush so am very glad for your advice. Will look into all of those things today.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts