Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have considered getting another dog for awhile, Kim wants a bigger dog to walk with, anyway, a coworker of mine is getting a new puppy, a Rhodesian Ridgeback, and I had/have the chance to get one at the same time, her mom is driving to Arkansas to pick hers up and offered to get mine too but me and Kim discussed it and now isnt the best time, we just moved to a house, she is finishing up a 3 year college program, she's getting ready to start a full time job and has to adjust to sleeping during the day, so puppy training right now isnt best, who of you have other dogs than maltese, i know a few of you do

how does a Maltese adapt to having a bigger dog around ?

we went thru "the other dog" thing when we got Maggie and I know there tends to be jealousy and Sampsonlooked sad for the longest time but now seems very happy to have her to play with, do you think this would be the same with a dog 10 times as big?

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
we got gruffi when he was 5 weeks old. he was smaller than sprite!! within two weeks he was bigger than ellie!! lol. anyway, overall--everything is fine. you'll notice that sampson and maggie will gain up on the third dog....possibly. its really cute at times. sprite and ellie didnt get along till we got gruffi. but then you feel bad, you know? like you have to share your affection with three dogs. and one dog will sometimes feel left out. there are MANY times where i think "maybe i shouldnt have gotten gruffi. or maybe i shouldnt have gotten ellie". like it sucks because gruffi will always want to play with the girls and if we're playing with them---he gets jealous. and he sometimes steps on them. and they cry. and now ellie is scared to be in the backyard with gruffi. and sprite doesnt feel comfortable playing catch because whenever we start a game---gruffi takes away her toy. and we'll try giving him another toy or we'll try giving the girls another toy---it doesnt work a lot of times.

BUT then theres times where gruffi will lick the girls and they'll lick him back and they look cute. and gruffi can obviously do a lot more things....but ellie has way more energy to do walks (since thats what you guys want). honestly, if i could do it all over.....i would've waited longer to get gruffi. like maybe 5 years so that i could afford top-notch training and he would be a gentle, well-mannered dog. like now....we cant just go to restaurants and stores. we used to go EVERYWHERE with the girls. now--its been over a year since we've gone to the movies or a nice restaurant. and the girls cower when gruffi walks by because they dont want him to step on them. its really sad. BUT again...thats us. good luck!!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
We have a 7 year old boxer, Champ (65lbs). He isnt living with us everyday right now because we are in a little apt, so my father in law has him now until we get a home. (Hopefully by next may/june when I graduate college). Champ does come visit often and we go to my father in laws often so Champ and Caesar are around each other a lot. Champ tolerates him very very well we are surprised. On my dogster link for Caesar's page I added Champ as a family member yesterday and there are a few pics of the dogs playing together. When Caesar first saw Champ he kind of growled a little I think because of Champ's size and Champ kept trying to smell Caesar. Sometimes though, Caesar wants Champ to play but he doesn't want to and you can tell hes a little annoyed but hasnt tried to hurt Caesar at all. Usually we tell Caesar to quit and he will lay down by Champ. Its pretty cute because the size difference is so huge :D .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts