Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As some of you may have read, that I was trying to train Lucy to use pee-pee pads indoors, this winter.

I wasn’t having much luck, because I have taught sweet Lupa, to ring the bells, and to go outside to potty.

Well, long story short - I got her to use the pads indoors! I make my own pads (very easy) and the bottom of a crate that I purchased just for this use.

Lupa, as I said, uses the crate now, but, before going in to the crate to do her "duties" she rings her bells - (Laughing) - I just thought that was too cute of her!

I will try to take a video of it, it’s just darling to see her sit there, and wait for someone to acknowledge her bell ringing (which always results, in receiving a very yummy treat.)

I took a picture of the pads that I make, and the crate that we're using last night, they came out very dark, maybe this will help someone else here - NEVER a mess on the floor - from "missing" the spot :)

I'd like to find a better looking crate, but this works perfectly fine, for now!

Here is the waterproof material under the flannel material
View attachment 92611

And here's the infamous crate!

View attachment 92613

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
oo wow i like that !! n thats just too cute about her ringing the bell lol

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Great job Allie! I love that flannel. I need to teach Terra to potty on a pad. Ever since she had her pups, she has jumped out of the nursery and gone potty in the house, if we aren't watching her like a hawk. :( She was going potty outside just fine...so I don't know what has happened. Perhaps she doesn't want to be away from her pups that long... hhmmmm

Miss Lupa is a smart girl!

·
Registered
425 Posts
What a great idea, Allie! Absolutely no chance of missing the pad. It's so cute how Lucy rings the bells! You are right. They are very smart. Kodie is pad trained but Nikki isn't and last year we had a whopping amount of snow. It was horrible for poor Nikki to try and find his "spot" in all that snow! I would love it if he would use pads during the bad weather. I might have to give your idea a try! Thanks for posting this. BTW, how did you make your own pads?

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
Allie, they are so smart! How'd you do it?? Ollie is also bell trained to go outside. But where there's any kind of precipitation outside he thinks ahead and just goes on the kitchen floor rather than get his paws wet!! Please share your tips!!

·
Registered
10,743 Posts
I like that idea,maybe you can use a cat litter box,it won't be as tall but it will be the same height on all four sides,might be able to jazz it up easier too. Though the tall sides on this does give the little fluff some privacy to do her duties...

·
Membership Suspended
2,839 Posts
Now we can also add really smart to describe the sweet, now healthy Lucy - Lu. :wub::wub:

Allie, how about trying one of the storage bins that slide under a bed? They are larger, and about 3" or so high. Just a thought...

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, by all means anyone can modify this idea to suit their own needs.

Lupa needs privacy when going potty. I have to pretend not to be watching her - silly girl.

The reason I selected the crate - the sides are high - and it had a "roof" - but Lupa would NOT go into the crate until I took the roof off -

I also bought the large one to give her room to move about - she has to locate the "perfect spot"

I was upstairs today - she rang her bells, and went potty - I could see her in the security cameras - I wanted to see if she would wait for me by her bells - she did for a short time - she then decided that I was taking too long - so, she went and to lie down in her bed - when she heard me coming down the stairs - she went directly to her bells and sat there. She didn’t ring them again - but, she was waiting for her treat! G-d love her.

For the love of fluffs!

I make my pads from the cotton covered rubber sold at Joann Fabrics - I also buy the flannel to cover the cotton/rubber material - sort of like a pillow case - very easy to make.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I love the idea of the crate. Skittle is doing great at home on the pads but she does end up missing it sometimes. She also thinks the throw rugs in my tiled bathroom are pads. If I had a particular spot in a crate then it might work better. Is that just the bottom with the top off?

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Great job Allie! I love that flannel. I need to teach Terra to potty on a pad. Ever since she had her pups, she has jumped out of the nursery and gone potty in the house, if we aren't watching her like a hawk. :( She was going potty outside just fine...so I don't know what has happened. Perhaps she doesn't want to be away from her pups that long... hhmmmm

Miss Lupa is a smart girl!
Mimie did the same thing after the pups. I had to start crating her to show her how angry I really was. She would just do it and look at me as if it was ok . She is back to herself now :aktion033::aktion033: I even thought she had a bladder problem after the birth :w00t::w00t: obviously not! after a few times in the crate, she knew I meant business :angry:

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Hi,

Just read this post and I am very interested in your setup. For some reason I am unable to open up your attachments to see the pictures of your homemade pads and the crate set up. Could you post the pictures again or pm them to me.

Thanks so much,
Lynda

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Hi Lynda,

My husband moved my pictures from SM to "Photo Bucket" I have no idea how that all works - I'll repost them once again, right here -

Here is the picture of the cotton coverd rubber material, under the flannel material.
View attachment 92657

Here are the pads - I made 15 pads for 32.00 (thirty one and change)

View attachment 92658

Here's the crate - with a pad made to fit the crate. NO messes, or "missing the spot to be had!"
View attachment 92659

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Thanks Allie,

That crate idea is pretty clever, and your pads are adorable. With three little munchkins I would need a bigger size crate but I am going to put my brain in gear and see what i can come up with. They are all three potty pad trained and are very good about it but sometimes they do spill over onto the floor. It is not too big of a deal cause it is in the laundry room and the floor is tile but I would like to not have to clean it up if I can eliminate it with a crate.

Thanks again and have a great holiday

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I love the idea of the crate. Skittle is doing great at home on the pads but she does end up missing it sometimes. She also thinks the throw rugs in my tiled bathroom are pads. If I had a particular spot in a crate then it might work better. Is that just the bottom with the top off?
Hi Lisa,

Yes, it's just the bottom half - as Lucy would not use the crate with the top on it. Perhaps, memories from her past - she really dislikes crates, to the point of shaking her entire body - I have never had to use crates for any of my fluffs (because someone has always been home.)

Interestingly, they told me at the hospital, where Lucy had to spend several nights - that they had to put Lucy in a large, open pen - because they believed that the crate was stressing her to a point, of not being able to relax enough to heal (I thought that they put Lucy in the large pen - so that my husband, myself and my dad to get in there with her.)

I, too, have tile on some of my floors - but I don’t want urine smells (even if the floors are cleaned to perfection, and I am unable to smell it - it’s amazing, how other fluffs can/will - then, they (the other fluffs) might think that’s it is acceptable to "mark the spot" - also.

Best of luck - and Happy Holidays to you and to your baby!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts