Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I need some advice on my puppy's behavior lately. Mia is 17 months old and her "sister" is 5 months (different parents but same breeder). Lately Mia has growled at me a few times when I went to pick her up and once showed her teeth as if to bite me. She does growl at times at Brie but has never bit or hurt her. I keep a close eye on both puppies when they play as Mia has always played rough and Brie is more timid. I need some advice on how to handle this aggressive behavior before it increases. Has anyone ever experienced this and how did you handle it?

·
Premium Member
2,345 Posts
If this is something very new, and she has generally been loving towards you, you might consider whether she has experienced some pain or unpleasant experience around being picked up, either by you or someone else such as a groomer or vet/staff.

Or are you picking her up to make her stop doing something that she wants to continue doing? That could require some gentle training to "leave it" or "give" or calling her away and to come to you or sit for a reward.

Another thought -- I know I hurt one of my larger (14 pound) dogs by picking her up the way I pick up the tiny ones, with my hands around her rib cage. Because she was so much larger, that made my fingers dig into her sides. A different technique was needed.

·
Super Moderator
10,412 Posts
MSS has provided good advice. Pay attention to the growling - your puppy is telling you something is wrong. You don't want to suppress it because that will teach them to go straight to bite without issuing a warning. Make sure that picking her up is a pleasant experience - treat first, etc. to make her associate you picking her up with good things. Working with an animal behaviorist will benefit all of you.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much for the great advice. Mia and Brie get along well and I think for them the growling while playing is ok as they do this at times while chasing each other or tugging on a toy. I play with both puppies during the day and interact with their toys. Neither are not protective or guard toys or even of their food. The times Mia has growled is only when she is on the couch and I pick her up to put her on the floor.
I contacted the breeder this weekend to let her know my concern (she kept Mia's sister and said she is active but no signs of aggression). I am also making an appt with the Vet just to make sure nothing is wrong and then will get a recommendation from her about a behaviorist

·
Premium Member
LACIE, SUKI & LING LING ❤️❤️❤️
6,044 Posts
A close friend of mine trains dogs for the government always said ‘the true temperament of a dog doesnt really show until 2 years of age.“ My girls IMS agreed and added that medical issues dont really show until then as well.
This happened to me with Ling Ling. I blamed her spay because she had such a hard time with it afterwards and in turn, she has been aggressive ever since.
She is great until she doesn’t want to do something and then she a very NAUGHTY little girl. I am petrified of her. Working with a trainer didnt help much and the more anxious I got the worse it got. I didnt want to supress her growling, because without that, i didn't know if she was about to bite. She ALWAYS warns with several growls. I also dont let others pet her because Im afraid she will bite and I don’t vaccinate them, so I have to be very careful.

i know your not at this point, but for me, I had to buy thick padded grooming gloves to pick her up, to clean her eyes ect. When I wear these, she cant hurt me, so Im less fearful, less anxious. I tell her “I have my gloves and Im not afraid of you” and believe it or not, she lets me do what I need to do.

I wonder if she feels your anxiety when this happens and then she plays off that?
I would seek out a trainer. What didnt work for me regarding training, is that Ling Ling is always good around my groomer and the trainer. She never growled at them, nor would she growl at me in front of them.
That said, she has bitten my vet, her IMS, the dentist, and the groomers assistant 🤦🏻‍♀️

I hope you find a solution. It makes it very difficult to be around a dog like this, especially once it gets to the point where Ive been with Ling Ling these last 5 years. I even thought of rehoming her but I know she will bite someone , and I have no doubt someone would put her down. Our internist who has witnessed her very dark side agreed 100%.
So with that said, I love on her very, very carefully with my gloves 🤷🏻‍♀️

1 - 5 of 5 Posts