Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering...has anybody had any experience with the interaction of a Maltese and a Bernese? My husband's King Doberman died about a year ago and he's now ready for another big dog. I'm not a big dog fan, and really don't care for the short haired breeds. I'm also a bit concerned because Rocco (my rescue) is pretty frightened of large breed dogs (who could blame the poor little guy? I'm a little fearful of them too!) but I have heard great things about the Bernese, which are also very good with small children -- also a consideration because we're trying to get pregnant.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Lissa, not to turn you off, but I had a maltese and a pyrenees (which are about the size of the Bernese). I would make sure for one that they are different sexes (NOT 2 males). I had 2 males and my maltese tried to go for the pyrenees' food and the pyrenees bit him in the eye and blinded him. I think boy/girl are better than the same sex. They get very territorial if they are both male. This is just my experience but I thought I'd share because it did influence my decision for future big dogs (If I got one now it would be a passive breed like a golden retriever and it would be the opposite sex to what I have).

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gizmosmom,
Thanks so much for your reply. It was the exact sort of reply I'm looking for. I, too, am more inclined towards a retriever such as a golden or a lab, but hubby has always has King Dobermans (which scare the heck out of me!) and is insisting on a more "imposing" type of dog due to our location in NYC. He is willing to "settle" on a breed like the Bernese so I was curious as to anybody else's experiences. Like you, I agree that a new puppy should be a female, as I've found Rocco relates better to females than male dogs.

I'm also worried about a larger dog with Rocco because I rescued Rocco last year, and though he's come a long way and can socialize well with other dogs, I get concerned that he may not react well with a large breed, over zealous puppy.

We're just starting the research now, but hubby is insistent on a new puppy within the next 6 months. Wish me luck...

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Lissa@Nov 15 2004, 04:31 PM
Gizmosmom,
Thanks so much for your reply.  It was the exact sort of reply I'm looking for.  I, too, am more inclined towards a retriever such as a golden or a lab, but hubby has always has King Dobermans (which scare the heck out of me!) and is insisting on a more "imposing" type of dog due to our location in NYC.  He is willing to "settle" on a breed like the Bernese so I was curious as to anybody else's experiences.  Like you, I agree that a new puppy should be a female, as I've found Rocco relates better to females than male dogs.

I'm also worried about a larger dog with Rocco because I rescued Rocco last year, and though he's come a long way and can socialize well with other dogs, I get concerned that he may not react well with a large breed, over zealous puppy.

We're just starting the research now, but hubby is insistent on a new puppy within the next 6 months.  Wish me luck...

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=16481
[/QUOTE]

I would discuss this with a vet. This is serious stuff. A large dog, even a sweet one, can see a little fluff baby as prey and attack before you know what has happened. I don't remember if it was on this forum or MO that someone posted that she was outside with her big dog and the Malt came outside without the lady realizing it and her big dog killed the Malt in an instant ... I could hardly bear to even read the post; it truly upset me hearing the gorey details.

Whatever breed you decide on, I would get the dog from a responsible breeder who breeds for sound temperament. I would also do a ton of research on the breed. I had a male doberman many years ago, and he was a sweetie pie but I sure wouldn't have wanted him around my Maltese babies.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sher,
It was on MO. I remember it vividly and definitely have that in mind with this whole issue. When I first rescued Rocco, my hubby's dobie was still alive and a total mushy sweetie pie who was more scared of Rocco than anything else. In fact, Rocco charged him and hung off his neck, Bubha (the dobie) just let Rocco do it. I was scared to death!

In all honesty, I don't want another dog unless its a Malt, but hubby is stubborn and insistent and I'm more fearful of coming home one day to a doberman puppy if I refuse to discuss the issue any further.

This is a really tough issue and my ultimate concern is Rocco's well being.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Lissa@Nov 15 2004, 04:51 PM
Sher,
It was on MO.  I remember it vividly and definitely have that in mind with this whole issue.  When I first rescued Rocco, my hubby's dobie was still alive and a total mushy sweetie pie who was more scared of Rocco than anything else.  In fact, Rocco charged him and hung off his neck, Bubha (the dobie) just let Rocco do it.  I was scared to death!

In all honesty, I don't want another dog unless its a Malt, but hubby is stubborn and insistent and I'm more fearful of coming home one day to a doberman puppy if I refuse to discuss the issue any further.

This is a really tough issue and my ultimate concern is Rocco's well being.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=16486
[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean about hubbies.... I ended up with a dobey when my former husband brought home a one-year-old huge male without getting my opinion and without my knowing about it until he (dog) was already there.

V

·
0 Posts
I have a suggestion for a good mix of larger dog with maltese...a Portugeese Water dog..the dogs are between 45 and 55 pounds grown. Do someresearch on the breed but my son has a pup who is now 6 months old and weighs 30 pounds..he was 6 pounds when he came home at 8 weeks. My guys thought he was a black Maltese..were they suprised when he grew! But they spend a lot of time together and Boris in particular adores hi,...the other day Boris wanted to kiss him and Ralph got the idea and leaned down his face so Boris could lick him!. This is an intelligent, high energy breed but not skittish and not bold.

Just a thought!
As far as I am concerned..only Maltese from here on in!

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
I was at Petsmart last week and a guy was walking around with a Newfoundland which was enormous. He and I stopped and talked for a long time. He's a breeder and said, very emphatically, that the Newfie wouldn't hurt the Maltese for anything in the world. I would be afraid to try, and this was a huge dog, but you might check it out. Also, as an aside, I've read that Goldens are being overbred and that there are actually some problem with Goldens with biting and rage problems. If you and your husband do get a big dog, you might beware of this! Same thing with Labs.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I don't think a big dog and a Maltese is a good mix, period. No matter how sweet and gentle the larger dog, there is just too much potential for injury there, no matter how unintentional. I too have heard horror stories about accidents with a big dog/little dog combination. A friend's Maltese also lost an eye when her daugher was visiting with her very gentle Golden Retriever. The Golden snapped at the Maltese while she was eating because the Maltese got too close to her food.

My personal opinion is that getting a dog should be a family decision with consideration for all family members (small children, for instance) and a decision should be reached as to the best dog/breed for everyone. A little dog for mom and a larger dog for Dad or the children may be a compromise, but not the safest option.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Vita and Msmagnolia, thanks for the great suggestions! Vita I remember reading on another site when your son got the puppy and was curious to see what happened when the dog began getting larger. I'm glad to hear all is going well so far.

Lady's mom, I'm not a fan of the idea of a large dog cohabitating with a small dog, my dog particularly because he is a rescue and no matter how much training he has, is incredibly fearful of large dogs. However, I have said several times in this thread that hubby is stubborn and refuses to budge on this issue and insists that he won't live in NYC without a large dog. He is very concerned about security and, unfortunately, for the time being, moving is not an option. As we have only been married for 6 weeks and I'm a firm believer in compromise as a better option than fighting over this issue, I'm seeking the best possible situation here. He is very serious about coming home one day with another large dog, so I would much rather have some say in the breed that I end up with. That said, we've got plenty of research ahead before making this decision and I'm appreciative for any advice on breeds that are gentler and have fewer issues with small dogs.

Thanks again to all who have responded to this thread. I truly respect all of your advice!

V

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by Maxismom@Nov 16 2004, 12:12 PM
Im confused also about this I want to get Maxi a sister or brother and i of couse want another maltese well maxi loves all animals except Malteses
every time we run into one he ignores them is this normal?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=16622
[/QUOTE]
Now that strikes me as unusual. When we take the boys to the park for off leash hours they will run across the field to greet another Maltese..it's like they have some radar device that identifies their genetic link.

But...since you have noticed this I don't think you should go out of your way and get another Maltese..perhaps another toy breed?

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Lissa, since it is apparent the big dog is coming there are some things to do to make sure you get the right puppy, once the breed is decided upon. I would find a breeder who breeds for good temperament. Then I would let the breeder know of your situation.... small dog/large dog. I would then ask to have pick of the litter and would give all puppies a temperament test. You do not want a strong-willed pup; but rather a sweet, trusting one with a sound temperament. And the suggestions from others for a female are a definite "must". There are some temperament tests you can print from the Web... just key in "Temperament Test" in Google... If I can remember what the URL is I'll post it. I think getting the large dog as a puppy will help since at first, they'll be the same size and can get to know each other on an equal footing.

Then once the new dog comes I would make sure that Rocco and the new dog are never ever left alone together. I would also make sure that Rocco has a crate he can go to to feel (and be) safe.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Maybe you can get your husband to at least hold off on getting another dog for awhile. Since you mentioned that you are trying to get pregnant, this may not the be the best time to introduce a new dog of any size to the family. A (hopefully) pregnancy and new baby is a lot to adjust to on it's own without having to constantly supervise 2 dogs.

My Lady is also a rescue and was never around other dogs that much. I find when we are, I have to hold her most of the time because she is so overwelmed. My daughter is expecting her first baby next month and I have already decided that I will board Lady when I go visit after she has the baby. She has 3 big dogs, one a huge, sweet Lab, and I would never get to hold the baby as I would have to hold Lady the whole time!

·
Registered
994 Posts
Originally posted by vita+Nov 16 2004, 11:30 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Maxismom
@Nov 16 2004, 12:12 PM
Im confused also about this I want to get Maxi a sister or brother and i of couse want another maltese well maxi loves all animals except Malteses
every time we run into one he ignores them is this normal?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=16622
Now that strikes me as unusual. When we take the boys to the park for off leash hours they will run across the field to greet another Maltese..it's like they have some radar device that identifies their genetic link.

But...since you have noticed this I don't think you should go out of your way and get another Maltese..perhaps another toy breed?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=16630
[/B][/QUOTE]

Vita
even when i took maxi to see some potential maltese brother and sisters he wanted nothing to do with them he so much as pee'd on there floor which he doesnt do that usually ..but yet he will go right up to any other breed
on sunday we went to the park and there was this other cutie maltese named bailey maxi acted like he wasnt there but yet this other dog came up to him a little hot dog and he was playing so forth so i think its weird
the other thing is that if i get another one i only want a maltese
so i guess this means maxi will be an only child "Furbaby"

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Maybe Maxi is telling you that he wants to be an only furbaby! He doesn't want to share the spoiling and pampering!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts